IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mild Steel Headers and Rust (PPE & Sikky) vs Stainless Steel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 09:18 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mild Steel Headers and Rust (PPE & Sikky) vs Stainless Steel

About to pull the trigger on my PPE headers for my F when I stopped at the question of "hmmm what are the made out of?"
read a few things and seems as if the Mild Steel (even with coating) will rust and erode due to the elements over time.
I see Borla and others make exhausts out of stainless steel for this reason and being that our headers will be exposed to the bottom of the car (damn near) at the flange...I just paused on the "add to cart button"

This is an involved installation that for the best DIY'er is somewhat of a challenge to take on with no lift and all the right tools (if at all).
Most here have gotten their headers done somewhere else. (as I am a really good DIY'er) I too was going to "get it done" somewhere.
I just am taking a second pause to see if this is right ...because I dont want to end up back shelling out a bunch of $$ to get me original manifods put back in cus these PPE's (or SIkky's) rusted out at the flange.

anyone have 2 cents to share on this?
Old 03-26-13, 10:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Ceramic coatings all all guaranteed against the problems your are worried about. In addition they reduce under hood temperatures. A stainless Steel header would be hot!

I wouldn't worry about the finishes on either the PPE os Sikky headers.

Lou
Old 03-27-13, 09:32 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Ceramic coatings all all guaranteed against the problems your are worried about. In addition they reduce under hood temperatures. A stainless Steel header would be hot!

I wouldn't worry about the finishes on either the PPE os Sikky headers.

Lou
Not from what I am reading. The guarantee on these are only 1 year.
Again I am no expert but many sites are saying the same things that over time the coating will give way and the mild steel will rust due to exposure to the elements

Exhausts are usually stainless steel because it lasts a "lifetime". Hence Borla and other companies guarantee is lifetime. you put it in and never have to worry about not having it replaced if ever something happens.
My worry is we put these headers in our cars and unlike an exhaust (even a cat back) they can not just be swapped out without very invasive things that may cost up to $1000 bucks (depending on where you are). with the warranty gone on the part and here we are popping in our old OEM manifolds again. (and back to the same good ol' 416HP we started with)
For some that extra bump may be worth it - but I am starting to second guess whether I want to put in a replacement part that MAY rust out faster than original part and I cant get to it myself to change it. thats my concern.

No one has had them in long enough to have any long term exposure tests to see just how long it takes to rust out to the point of replacement. maybe there is a way to protect it or at least the underside part that is exposed under our cars? so it doesnt get wet, etc (will investigate)

Maybe there are other properties about Stainless steel that prevent manufacturers from using this as a option?
as for heat ...I'd give up some HP gain for a life time warranty.
Anyone know what the OEM exhaust manifold is made out of?
Maybe I am over thinking this and the stock stuff is Mild steel also?

Any comments are welcome... but here are links to some of the info on this.
Not bashing or sayin PPE or Sikky isnt good....just saying the material it seems it isnt going to last like stainless steel would. (from what I am investigating).

http://www.perfweldheaders.com/svsm.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8024014AAmXnkg
http://428roasters.com/blog/stainles...he-throw-down/
Old 03-28-13, 06:20 AM
Kyle4207
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your questions are valid. What might help is understanding that the headers are coated with the ceramic coating on the OUTSIDE and INSIDE of the piping. Since the piping is coated on the inside and outside the mild steel is not exposed to moisture or oxygen, the two components needed to induce rusting, hence the mild still will not rust. Of course if you scratch the ceramic coating and expose the mild steel to oxygen and moisture, yet it would rust.

I have the PPE headers. I asked them and yes they could custom make the headers in stainless steel but at an added cost. If you did have them made in SS I would still get them ceramic coated as Lou states SS would be hot. The ceramic coating keeps the heat moving away from the motor.

Hope that helps you.
Old 03-28-13, 07:09 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Lou don't they use 2 layers of Jet Hot ceramic coating? i think you should be fine. The first F owner with headers didn't have any problems so far with rust and he also lives in the east coast. Not sure how long he had them for but its probably a couple of years now. I am approaching 1 year soon once summer is here. i also daily my car even in the winter and when it snows.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 03-28-13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-28-13, 08:28 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I do headers I'll probably get them ceramic coated like my last set. They lasted many years withough issue.

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/r...aust-coatings/

Old 03-28-13, 08:32 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kyle4207
Your questions are valid. What might help is understanding that the headers are coated with the ceramic coating on the OUTSIDE and INSIDE of the piping. Since the piping is coated on the inside and outside the mild steel is not exposed to moisture or oxygen, the two components needed to induce rusting, hence the mild still will not rust. Of course if you scratch the ceramic coating and expose the mild steel to oxygen and moisture, yet it would rust.

I have the PPE headers. I asked them and yes they could custom make the headers in stainless steel but at an added cost. If you did have them made in SS I would still get them ceramic coated as Lou states SS would be hot. The ceramic coating keeps the heat moving away from the motor.

Hope that helps you.
That does help a lot, and sheds "hope" on it for me, I will contact them and see if I can get a set made in stainless with a coating. Because yes the stainless would be hot. for me I'd rather greatly reduce my "rust out factor" and give up some HP , pay more but know I do not have to worry about it rusting out. (in theory)

Last edited by NYC ES3; 03-28-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-28-13, 11:01 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
That does help a lot, and sheds "hope" on it for me, I will contact them and see if I can get a set made in stainless with a coating. Because yes the stainless would be hot. for me I'd rather greatly reduce my "rust out factor" and give up some HP , pay more but know I do not have to worry about it rusting out. (in theory)
PPE said they can custom make them in stainless steel, with the same coating inside and outside. more pricey and more wait time but def doable.

Fast responses from them also.
Saying they have MILD steel ones that have lasted over 12 years with the coating. which is great. Im in NY though and we have 4 seasons and salting like crazy when it snows, deep puddles when rains in some areas, roads that are not so great everywhere, and my car is lowered (not that the F is that high off the ground to begin with) I now have a ES300 as a daily driver but still - u know
I just would like to "set and forget" and not have to worry about rust and what have you and know the headers will be in there for the "life" of the car

Great news (for me!) - I will be placing my order after a couple more questions to PPE are answered
thanks for all the responses

Last edited by NYC ES3; 03-28-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-28-13, 11:05 AM
TOMW
Rookie

PPE said they can custom make them in stainless steel, with the same coating inside and outside. more pricey and more wait time but def doable.

Fast responses from them also.
Saying they have MILD steel ones that have lasted over 12 years with the coating. which is great
I just would like to "set and forget" and not have to worry about rust and what have you and know it'll be in there for the "life" of the car

Great news for me! - I will be placing my order
thanks for all the responses
i inquired today also~ its 2k for stainless and ceramic coated, im def getting them
Old 03-28-13, 11:14 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tgui
When I do headers I'll probably get them ceramic coated like my last set. They lasted many years withough issue.

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/r...aust-coatings/

THIS is very interesting...I did some reading on the site and it sounds like the way to go.

maybe I will do this also on top of the stainless steel to really insulate against the extra heat that the stainless will cause
Old 03-28-13, 11:15 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TOMW
i inquired today also~ its 2k for stainless and ceramic coated, im def getting them

YEAH me 2

U think just us two would be enough for a group buy? (LMAO)
Old 03-28-13, 11:54 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP come to the mega meet in April, there are a ton of people running headers, some for over 3 years......I think that's enough time to tell if it has started rusting or not.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-dover-de.html
Old 03-28-13, 01:20 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
OP come to the mega meet in April, there are a ton of people running headers, some for over 3 years......I think that's enough time to tell if it has started rusting or not.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-dover-de.html
3 years may sound like a while but in terms rust through - not really.
I'm going to get the stainless anyways - play it safe plus ..it will "delete" the rust factor all together.
Old 03-28-13, 02:28 PM
tgui
Pole Position

THIS is very interesting...I did some reading on the site and it sounds like the way to go.

maybe I will do this also on top of the stainless steel to really insulate against the extra heat that the stainless will cause
Its nice stuff.

One thing to remember...

DO NOT HEAT WRAP CERAMIC COATED HEADERS!

Tons of heat gets retained, which is ok, except for the part where thermal expansion is so great that the coating can crack and flake off in places. I didn't heed this warning and saw this first hand.
Old 03-28-13, 04:09 PM
TOMW
Rookie

3 years may sound like a while but in terms rust through - not really.
I'm going to get the stainless anyways - play it safe plus ..it will "delete" the rust factor all together.
Stainless steel is the way to go! I live in central PA and daily drive this and there is SO much salt in the winter, SS will atleast remove the worrying asscociatrd with mild steel,

A+ for PPE accomodating their potential customers!
I wish sikky would do some SS for us but it doesnt matter i have confidence in PPE,

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-28-13 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Need to read the GB rules

Quick Reply: Mild Steel Headers and Rust (PPE & Sikky) vs Stainless Steel