IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Are used IS-F's that hard to come by in the low 30's???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 02:53 PM
laopadak
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up m 09' with 20.5K miles just a few weeks ago for 42K flat. Felt I got a decent deal.

I think what you paid for what you got is all subjective. Meaning, what matters most and what your definition of clean, immaculate, etc. I for one was **** when it came to looking for my F. Zero dings, minimal wear and tear, good history, excellent paint, maybe a rock chip here and there.

During my search I found a few 08's with 40-60K miles for around the 37-39K price point but they weren't perfect. I made it a point to find the right F, right condition, right owner, near perfect body, low mileage and was willing to pay an extra few grand.

IMO an 08' F with 60K miles, decent condition at $36K < same with 20K miles, excellent condition at $42K.

BTW, my F is a sunday driver. Had it for three weeks now, 600 miles to drive it home, put 100 miles on since.

So to answer the OP's original question. Yeah, I think you can find a few F's spread out the country for what you're looking to pay but it won't be perfect and if you're paying that much to begin with then why not find the right one and pay a little more?
Old 08-15-13, 04:38 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are deals out there. In April 2011 I scored an '08 with 45k miles for $32,500, and I snagged an 8 year 125k warranty for $3600 which put my total at just over $36k with a full warranty until Aug 2016 or 125k miles.

And I agree with others, having 60k miles isn't a lot on these cars. These engines are bullet proof and I fully expect to get 200k out of mine, which is my daily driver that now has 62k on the clock.

A few things to watch for if you're buying one out of warranty:

-Burnt out LED's in the needles in the gauge cluster. It's something that you might not even notice at first, but if you look closely you can see that the needle will vary in brightness from the center to the outer tip. This has been a fairly common problem according to what my service rep told me when I got mine fixed, and it requires replacement of the entire cluster to the tune of about $3,000. There is probably a way to just replace the individual LEDs on the needles, but I don't know if anyone has attempted that yet.

-Blown subwoofer and/or speakers. This is also a fairly common problem and another one that you might not notice right off the bat. I didn't realize mine was blown until I rode in a buddy's IS350 and I noticed how much more bass his had. So next time I was at the dealership I had them check it and sure enough my sub was blown, and so was one of the front speakers.

-Touch screen not working. Obviously this is one you'd notice right off the bat, in fact it wasn't working in the one that I bought but I knew it would be covered under warranty so I wasn't concerned. But it'll cost you about $3,500 for the dealer to replace it if you're out of warranty, or you can find a used one on eBay. Again, unfortunately this seems to be an all too common issue on the IS models.

Those 3 things alone racked up over $8k in repairs on my car, and the gauge cluster failed after my original warranty expired but the extended one covered it. So if you're buying one out of warranty (over 50k miles) then these are a few things you really need to keep an eye out for, because you can't buy the Lexus Platinum warranty once you're past 50k. But as for the engine and drive train, I haven't heard about anything to be concerned about even if it has high mileage.

Last edited by jleonard71; 08-15-13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-25-13, 07:16 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've gone to see a few used ones in the past few months and the burnt out needles seem to be a common issue in 08/09 cars with higher miles.

My buddy has since picked up a 09 with decent miles for $34k so not a bad deal and he's a happy camper. Appreciate all the support here!

I've actually contemplated picking up another IS-F as well and want a last year model if possible so been poking around for modified ones. Obviously my budget is a lot higher for a late model car and trying to find the right car if possible.
Old 11-25-13, 06:09 PM
CelicaGT4
Driver School Candidate

I'm new.. First Post.

I had been on the hunt for a C63 but last week found a 2009 IS-F at the local MB dealership. 49K miles and in impeccable shape. They wanted $39,900 but I got it for $36K. The IS-F had not been on my list as they seemed to hold their value quite well.

I love everything about the car except the lack of a USB port to play music off a usb drive. Has anyone tried the Grom Audio interface? It looks intriguing.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

At any rate.. It's good to be here....
Chris
Old 11-25-13, 06:17 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CelicaGT4
I'm new.. First Post. I had been on the hunt for a C63 but last week found a 2009 IS-F at the local MB dealership. 49K miles and in impeccable shape. They wanted $39,900 but I got it for $36K. The IS-F had not been on my list as they seemed to hold their value quite well. I love everything about the car except the lack of a USB port to play music off a usb drive. Has anyone tried the Grom Audio interface? It looks intriguing. http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html At any rate.. It's good to be here.... Chris
It's so awesome you left with an IS-F from a MB dealership when you had all intentions to get a C63. Sweet conquest lol.
Old 11-25-13, 06:26 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CelicaGT4
I'm new.. First Post.

I had been on the hunt for a C63 but last week found a 2009 IS-F at the local MB dealership. 49K miles and in impeccable shape. They wanted $39,900 but I got it for $36K. The IS-F had not been on my list as they seemed to hold their value quite well.

I love everything about the car except the lack of a USB port to play music off a usb drive. Has anyone tried the Grom Audio interface? It looks intriguing.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

At any rate.. It's good to be here....
Chris
excellent! good choice, c63's are so badass though, just $$$$$$ to keep.

i'm about to order the gromaudio kit actually, but for the bluetooth capability.

heres a little info on it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tegration.html

there is also a current coupon on the gromsite, depending what you get its 10 or 30 off, code 'thanks'

coupon til dec 1 it says.

don't think you'd be dissapointed with it from what i've read about it, although not sure exactly what you are looking for in a unit.
Old 12-02-13, 05:50 AM
CelicaGT4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scamsel
excellent! good choice, c63's are so badass though, just $$$$$$ to keep.

i'm about to order the gromaudio kit actually, but for the bluetooth capability.

heres a little info on it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tegration.html

there is also a current coupon on the gromsite, depending what you get its 10 or 30 off, code 'thanks'

coupon til dec 1 it says.

don't think you'd be dissapointed with it from what i've read about it, although not sure exactly what you are looking for in a unit.
Thanks for the friendly welcome folks.. This is my second Lexus.. I had a 95 SC300 5so some years ago and loved it. My personal garage web ite is www.turbocelica.com..

It'd be great to see some photos of the install of the GROM unit. I'm gonna order mine today. I have not looked closely at the center stack to determine hot to get at the factory radio . The usual tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 12-02-13, 10:12 PM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
There are deals out there. In April 2011 I scored an '08 with 45k miles for $32,500, and I snagged an 8 year 125k warranty for $3600 which put my total at just over $36k with a full warranty until Aug 2016 or 125k miles.

And I agree with others, having 60k miles isn't a lot on these cars. These engines are bullet proof and I fully expect to get 200k out of mine, which is my daily driver that now has 62k on the clock.

A few things to watch for if you're buying one out of warranty:

-Burnt out LED's in the needles in the gauge cluster. It's something that you might not even notice at first, but if you look closely you can see that the needle will vary in brightness from the center to the outer tip. This has been a fairly common problem according to what my service rep told me when I got mine fixed, and it requires replacement of the entire cluster to the tune of about $3,000. There is probably a way to just replace the individual LEDs on the needles, but I don't know if anyone has attempted that yet.

-Blown subwoofer and/or speakers. This is also a fairly common problem and another one that you might not notice right off the bat. I didn't realize mine was blown until I rode in a buddy's IS350 and I noticed how much more bass his had. So next time I was at the dealership I had them check it and sure enough my sub was blown, and so was one of the front speakers.

-Touch screen not working. Obviously this is one you'd notice right off the bat, in fact it wasn't working in the one that I bought but I knew it would be covered under warranty so I wasn't concerned. But it'll cost you about $3,500 for the dealer to replace it if you're out of warranty, or you can find a used one on eBay. Again, unfortunately this seems to be an all too common issue on the IS models.

Those 3 things alone racked up over $8k in repairs on my car, and the gauge cluster failed after my original warranty expired but the extended one covered it. So if you're buying one out of warranty (over 50k miles) then these are a few things you really need to keep an eye out for, because you can't buy the Lexus Platinum warranty once you're past 50k. But as for the engine and drive train, I haven't heard about anything to be concerned about even if it has high mileage.
Do we have photos of such things happening to help identify right off the bat? Hopefully assisting fellow $30k hunters.
Old 03-18-14, 08:34 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Update to this story my friend snagged a 09 IS-F with 65k miles for $28.5k so that isn't too bad a deal. He's happy and I'm happy he got the car he wanted! Luckily his car did not exhibit any of the issues pointed on in another post on here but I think a lot of it has to do with how previous buyers took care of the car.

I know when I sold my 08 a few years ago, it was absolutely mint, after the car went through a few owners, I oddly saw the car again back for more work to be done and it was pretty beat up sadly

Looking to get back into a White IS-F (2011+) so if anyone has leads on a clean modified one let me know. Just need something to hold me over till my new M3 arrives in July!

Glad to see the car is still a high demand car!
Old 03-18-14, 10:16 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Price for cars is primarily through the cost perceived from the seller.. not KBB value and not the buyers price.

Someone selling $30k or under is probably looking for a quick sale, and every vehicle has those sellers. Doesn't mean its a great value. I am thinking the true value of the car is still higher and similar to the price from 2 years ago.

For example: Porsche GT cars (997 and 996) are going up in cost. NSX prices have skyrocketed in the last few years.. why? Because the OWNERS dictate the price and value of the car, no one else. When you compare apples to apples or an ISF to another ISF.. if everyone decided to sell it for a premium then everyone will end up having to pay a premium because sellers will perceive that the cost of the car is that much higher.

With that being said, I don't think you trying to make a point that someone got the car cheap is really a point. It doesn't mean ISF's will become cheaper, it just means someone out there has unloaded their car for cheap but thats only one side to the story.. whats the history, amount of owners, color of vehicle, current vehicle condition etc.
Old 03-18-14, 10:26 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

ISFPat, I don't know you and you don't know me but you are preaching to the choir. I was not trying to make a point at all that the ISF is getting cheaper, calm down. The ISF is a niche vehicle and always will be - good examples can command good money (like you said too many factors).

I was merely saying my friend got a good deal - he is not as picky as I am, would I buy that car, probably not but he is happy so that's all that matters. It's normal for owners of a car (especially on that specific forum) to defend it's value, which is fine.

With that said, the ISF will never be a Supra MKIV or NSX ~ just too many cars and certainly not limited in any way. It's not an LFA.

P.S. Majority of banks who loan money use NADA true value, KBB only works for Camry/Accord. Specialty cars will always rank differently. When I sold my ISF, it sold for probably the most ever for a 2008, had plenty of critics but in the end it sold for well over $50k
Old 03-18-14, 10:31 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Calm down lol, what part of my reply implied I was angry? Whats the logic in saying that anyways?

I am merely pointing out my opinion and what the market has shown about vehicles.
Old 03-18-14, 10:31 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Owners dictate the price ONLY for rare cars like the ISF, NSX, 997 Turbo/GT3, Mk4 Supra. If you see M3's or C63's it's not really that easy to dictate the price of the car since so many more of them exist and are for sale. There's no way you're going to dictate the price of a 3 series, C300, IS250/350, or even a C5/6 Corvette.

Originally Posted by s4play
With that said, the ISF will never be a Supra MKIV or NSX ~ just too many cars and certainly not limited in any way. It's not an LFA.
I disagree. The ISF was a limited production car, obviously not as limited as the LFA, MK4 Supra, NSX but still limited. Why do you think there are less than 180 used ISF's selling on cars.com in the entire nation? That's just one piece of it. Now with the ISF being discontinued it will become even more exclusive, and owners will continue to dictate prices as long as they are reasonable.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 03-18-14 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-18-14, 10:37 AM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Update to this story my friend snagged a 09 IS-F with 65k miles for $28.5k so that isn't too bad a deal. He's happy and I'm happy he got the car he wanted! Luckily his car did not exhibit any of the issues pointed on in another post on here but I think a lot of it has to do with how previous buyers took care of the car.

I know when I sold my 08 a few years ago, it was absolutely mint, after the car went through a few owners, I oddly saw the car again back for more work to be done and it was pretty beat up sadly

Looking to get back into a White IS-F (2011+) so if anyone has leads on a clean modified one let me know. Just need something to hold me over till my new M3 arrives in July!

Glad to see the car is still a high demand car!
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

White on white
Old 03-26-14, 10:04 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Calm down lol, what part of my reply implied I was angry? Whats the logic in saying that anyways?

I am merely pointing out my opinion and what the market has shown about vehicles.
Apologies Pat, must be the coffee got me excited

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Owners dictate the price ONLY for rare cars like the ISF, NSX, 997 Turbo/GT3, Mk4 Supra. If you see M3's or C63's it's not really that easy to dictate the price of the car since so many more of them exist and are for sale. There's no way you're going to dictate the price of a 3 series, C300, IS250/350, or even a C5/6 Corvette.

I disagree. The ISF was a limited production car, obviously not as limited as the LFA, MK4 Supra, NSX but still limited. Why do you think there are less than 180 used ISF's selling on cars.com in the entire nation? That's just one piece of it. Now with the ISF being discontinued it will become even more exclusive, and owners will continue to dictate prices as long as they are reasonable.

Agreed to your first part, AMG cars are the worst investments ever and you're absolutely right, M3 and C63 is a total depreciating asset that in most cases once the new model is out, you have to beg to give it away.

With the IS-F, I guess only time will tell how "limited" but it seems we are on the same page here as well. I agree the IS-F is limited by numbers but demand wise it's not likely it will be on par with the other cars you mentioned only because the Lexus is still not an established name for the aftermarket industry. It's still got a lot to prove if it wants to stay in the game.

A halo car and one performance model does not exactly get you stardom. It's a good start but a long road ahead for Lexus. Yes I know the RC-F is coming out but they need a better overall lineup.

Quick Reply: Are used IS-F's that hard to come by in the low 30's???