IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking of buying a 2009 or 2010 IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 09:10 AM
poster123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 2009 or 2010 IS-F

So, I am looking at a few cars and I will probably get on in early February. The cars I am considering (leaning heavy towards IS-F though):

- 2009 or 2010 Lexus IS-F
- 2010 Audi S4
- 2008 or 2009 BMW M3
- 2007 or 2008 Audi RS4

Any advice you guys can give? What packages should it have besides ML? How do you like your IS-Fs? I am sure you were probably looking at similar cars. What made you choose Lexus?

My reasons why I am leaning this way: reliability, almost on par with M3 for less money, fuel economy seems to be OK for a V8. I am a little hesitant because it seems a little small and the styling is somewhat bland in my opinion.
Old 01-08-13, 09:16 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

There's no question ISF is top of the list in reliable and performance, i've been with lexus for nearly 11 yrs . Never had a single problem Now go out and pick one F , is the best car u ever own .
Old 01-08-13, 09:17 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

1) buy a 2010, since it comes with LSD. Some people say it's a huge difference, but driving skills go much further
2) it's reliable...it's a Toyota
3) ML + Navi is pretty much what everyone has. some people have backup and front sensors. I haven't met anyone that has adaptive cruise control.
4) wrong forum to ask how do you like your IS F...everyone here pretty much loves theirs.
5) I chose my IS F because it's fast (sure, C63 / M3 could be faster on the track) all things considered. Priced well, reliability and reputation.
6 Fuel economy is good, but if you drive it hard, or if you get an aftermarket exhaust like a lot of people, you'll see your MPG be in the 16-20 average.

It's pretty small in the back if you have 6ft big people. My bro in law is over 6ft but he's pretty skinny and he fits back there just fine. The trunk is pretty small, and the opening is kinda weird so it's hard to get large things in....
Old 01-08-13, 09:38 AM
poster123
Driver School Candidate

Any unpleasant surprises after you got your IS-F? Any regrets?
Old 01-08-13, 09:40 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Regrets? want more power lolz, all bolts on after purchased lolz.
Old 01-08-13, 10:09 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

My regret is that I didn't get a 2011+ model year! I'm really digging the LED daytime running lights and of course the LSD is a huge plus among other things.

Since you're on an F forum you will no doubt get nothing but praise for the ISF. What really matters is what you're looking for. If you want something to modify, the Bimmers and Audis have a wider selection of parts to choose from. If you want something fast out of the box and reliable and want an affordable maintenance schedule then look no further than the ISF.

Good luck with what ever path you choose!
Old 01-08-13, 10:34 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The IS F is pretty complete from the factory. Coupled with its reliability and sport/luxury balance unlike any other Lexus vehicle in its lineup, it is undoubtedly a great choice among the ones the OP listed. That being said, the Audi and BMW have more parts available, as Boma mentioned. As for styling, personally I think the M3 is a bit bland, but that's more subjective with any prospective buyer. With the F, its a rarity on the roads, even in CA at times. And for that wow factor, the F gets the nod almost all the time.
Old 01-08-13, 10:57 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I think most people here will tell you they just wish there was more power. If you like modding cars like a Honda Civic or an BMW E30, you'll have a hard time. There's just basic bolt-ons and some minor mods but the market isn't huge like other cars or the BMW M3.

Sometimes I wish I had a M3 because there are so many more mods available. With that said, I decided since there isn't a lot, I'm going to keep my car stock, so stock is the way it's been for the past 4.5 years.

Like Bnizzle87 said, IS F gets the nod from car guys everywhere. I probably see only 3-5 IS Fs per month (I drive 40,000+ miles a year) here in socal.
Old 01-08-13, 11:58 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want attention, the F is definitely the car to get. Especially USB. Considering how rare it is, most people just point and stare. Like others said modding is a bit limited but with time more parts will be available, but be prepared to shell out some money.

Absolutely no regrets. Worth every penny I spent on it in my opinion, considering it was rather expensive for someone my age. Some unpleasant surprises: few things that need to be taken care of under warranty such as vibrating rearview mirror, condensation in headlights, others have had leaky water pump but covered under powertrain warranty. These are expected for the first model year of any vehicle. So that is also why I suggest going with 2010+.
Old 01-08-13, 01:03 PM
willys4
Rookie

I had a 2011 Audi S4, i had to say with probably just a tune, the performance is pretty close to a stock ISF. The S4 is more fuel efficient depends on the way you drive it and could be more practical if u need a full time 4WD sys. However, the S4 and the ISF are in diff class, the isf is more exclusive. The dealer that i bought my 2012 told me that they don't stock isfs, they get one, sell one before they order another one. So here my summary:

- 2009 or 2010 Lexus IS-F...... GET THE ONE WITH LSD & UPGRADED SUSPENSION.
- 2010 Audi S4.......... ITS A BEAST but since they implanted the TD1(flag for ECU MOD) the dealership has became a pain in the *** if u do plan to mod
- 2008 or 2009 BMW M3....... Reliability issue but top notch road feel and performance nevertheless
- 2007 or 2008 Audi RS4....... Exclusive, but the V6 3.0T could do the same job why pay the xtra

just my .02 cent
Old 01-08-13, 03:07 PM
poster123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by willys4
I had a 2011 Audi S4, i had to say with probably just a tune, the performance is pretty close to a stock ISF. The S4 is more fuel efficient depends on the way you drive it and could be more practical if u need a full time 4WD sys. However, the S4 and the ISF are in diff class, the isf is more exclusive. The dealer that i bought my 2012 told me that they don't stock isfs, they get one, sell one before they order another one. So here my summary:

- 2009 or 2010 Lexus IS-F...... GET THE ONE WITH LSD & UPGRADED SUSPENSION.
- 2010 Audi S4.......... ITS A BEAST but since they implanted the TD1(flag for ECU MOD) the dealership has became a pain in the *** if u do plan to mod
- 2008 or 2009 BMW M3....... Reliability issue but top notch road feel and performance nevertheless
- 2007 or 2008 Audi RS4....... Exclusive, but the V6 3.0T could do the same job why pay the xtra

just my .02 cent
Thank you for the feedback! Was s4 pretty reliable?
Old 01-08-13, 03:13 PM
silverlexg
Driver

2010 is a better deal - 2011 if you can swing it. 2010 over the 2009 gets you a much better navi unit with BT and high res backup cam and screen plus the LSD. 2011 gets you better suspension, different seats, LED driving lights and the sport mode button on the steering wheel. There's lots of these threads out there.. search search search :-)
Old 01-08-13, 04:31 PM
willys4
Rookie

Thank you for the feedback! Was s4 pretty reliable?
for the 1.5 year of ownership i had clutch asembly replaced and headlight clouding issue. If u planning to keep the car 4+ years. Go japanese
Old 01-08-13, 06:37 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

I was in the same situation, but ended up with IS-F mainly for reliability. There was just too much problems with Euro, but no doubt any of your choices are a drivers car. I had no issue with my car at all and love it. Maintenance could be done by yourself and money saved could be use elsewhere. As for mpg I can average 27mpg on the freeway (driving like a grandma) or <10mpg (driving like a maniac).

On a side note, if you have the money for endless maintenance and possible problems, I would go for the m3 for the exterior look. I'm surprise c63 is not on the list. Anyhow you should test drive each and make your own decision, this 'is' a Lexus forum.
Old 01-08-13, 06:39 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Also, I was lucky to get a fully loaded F, but ML is ok, could use some more kick. I mostly enjoy my radar cruise control option, really lets my get on my lazy side when I'm tired.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2009 or 2010 IS-F