IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need suggestions for 08 ISF ipod integration options

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 05:54 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Need suggestions for 08 ISF ipod integration options

I have an 08 ISF with the Mark Levinson/nav system and have hated using my Zune via the armrest AUX input since it looks like I'm using a cellphone when I search for albums/songs while at stoplights (with cellphone usage illegal here I don't want to get pulled over for simply skipping a song).

I have an ipod also and want to get an integration kit so that I can put it in the glovebox and then navigate the ipod via the stock headunit and steering wheel controls.

I've read dozens of threads and searched the inet but am mostly getting ISx50 info which I believe should still apply but am just not sure.

I have a BeatSonic nav and dvd bypass already installed so I'm trying to determine the most cost-effective option to give me ipod touchscreen controls.

I read/saw some things about "MD" via the CD changer button and I don't even know what that is.

The vais ml+ looks amazing but the price is double what I want to spend. The OEM ipod integration unit is $280 locally at a dealer...is that my best bet or will the simpler iSimple or GROM options satisfy my need? Sorry, I just can't get figure out what would work for me or not with my bypasses already installed.

Cheapest is better but I would like decent nav screen controls and the OEM unit for $280 is my baseline.

With my nav/dvd bypass already in place, what would you recommend?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-28-12, 06:04 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the oem and the interface sucks pretty badly
1999 ish and it dosnt have pictures and its even hard to browse for a certain song quick
you would have to go artist > album > song or you could search in songs and flip through a few thousand
good thing im a random guy or Id have to sell it
if I could do it again id look more closely at the other options

oh and I have the bypass as well
Old 09-28-12, 06:40 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Grrr. Thanks for the feedback!

That sucks but it is quite helpful because I'm the exact opposite of a shuffle/random guy. I fiddle a lot switching between albums after I hear a song or two but I know what I want and despise random/shuffle. I want to go from a few songs on Album X to Album Y.

The ML+ looks amazing but for $500 I just can't justify it.
Old 09-28-12, 08:07 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vais ML+ is worth every cent, puts your ipod on the screen, plays video, and you can do more than just ipod I had a portable bluray hooked up to mine. Also you can turn on your back up camera while your driving...pretty cool I am about to buy my second one.
Old 09-29-12, 09:19 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer when i got mine installed years ago it was the slv2i. I definitely like the media link q + it seems a hundred times better than what I have. I wish the installer wouldn't have lied and said to only got with the slv2i
Old 09-30-12, 12:41 PM
dLad
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ml + is worth it.....i had another vais tech one...i think the sl+ or sl2 or something......it was ok but not great..so i then got the ml+...the only one that lets u shuffle for songs while driving is the ml+...but u said u already have that override thing installed.....idk...i think the ml+ gives a 10000% better screen....and like another person said earlier...there are way more options and outlets with the ml+. Good Luck!
Old 09-30-12, 01:55 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Where are you guys finding the best prices and availability on the ML+ units? Is this a typical dealership install, or do you go to an indy car audio shop?

Like the OP, I'm tired of shuffling my iPod without being able to use the NAV display and am a little disappointed that it wasn't until 2010 before full iPod integration happened with these cars (I have an '09).. I don't love the fact that it costs $500, but I want something that looks and works as OEM as possible, and sometimes you have to pay to play.
Old 09-30-12, 04:28 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy from Vais directly, they are a CL vendor. Any shop can install these its plug and play...I did it myself. Only hard part is the AC vent removal. A shop should charge you an hour labor flat fee of 60-75 bucks from what Ive seen but it can literally be done in 15 minutes if you have experience with removing the AC vents. I missed a recent group buy and Vais offered to still give me the 450 price on the ML+ they will probably do the same for you just call them.
Old 10-01-12, 04:49 AM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Question: with the updated iPod integration on '10+ models, would you still get the VAIS Tech ML+ because of all the other things it does? Or is the updated integration MUCH better than '08-'09 and should be enough?
Old 10-01-12, 07:35 AM
vbb

I just looked up that ML+ interface on the VAIS website and man, that thing looks great. It is exactly what SHOULD have been in the IS-F from the beginning. Well, I guess I've found my next mod.
Old 10-01-12, 11:50 AM
exdakine
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am pulling my ML+ out this weekend finally if someone wants to buy it. its less than a year old..

time to sell the F
Old 10-01-12, 01:41 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by exdakine
I am pulling my ML+ out this weekend finally if someone wants to buy it. its less than a year old..

time to sell the F
PM me your asking price and maybe we can work something out.
Old 10-05-12, 06:23 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I was looking into the ML+ and was unsure if the awesome interface was standard for say an ipod Video 30GB or if it was because of the iOS on an newer iPhone. Man, why is this so confusing?

I just want to be able to navigate my iPod via the HU and steering wheel controls. I have the nav/dvd bypass already so I can browse mp3 folders on CD's which I love.

I'm just looking for the most cost effective option to be able to use the HU instead of the the AUX input which makes me hold the iPod and looks like I'm using a cellphone (illegal).

How is the OEM integration kit?