IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 11:42 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast

I basically got a local shop to fabricate end pipes with stock mufflers. The switch between the two setups is as easy as lifting the rear end of the car and unbolting 4 bolts. The drone is COMPLETELY gone, and the noise level is very comparable to the stock setup.

I will have to do some dyno runs to document any change in power, but they only run I have with this setup didn't look promising, but that's mainly due to the K&N drop-in filter I had installed at the time.

Old 11-08-11, 11:54 AM
Bpower
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! Waiting to see the dyno result!
Old 11-08-11, 11:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,300 Posts

I built my dual system using the stock mufflers.

04/11/12 - Updated picts.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast-cats-with-x-pipes.jpg   This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast-exhaust-resonator-s.jpg   This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast-exhaust5s.jpg   This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast-exhaust7s.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 04-11-12 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-08-11, 01:48 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Just a thought... if you want stock noise level, and you're using stock mufflers (Which would negate a lot of the free-flowing piping behind it), then why not stay with the full stock setup? Or just cut out the secondary cats and call it a day?
Old 11-08-11, 02:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Because, IMHO, the stock system is not very good. There is a severe restriction in the "Y" pipe in the stock axle back portion of the of the stock exhaust. And, the stock system is not a true dual system, but a two into one into two. For me, the purpose of an exhaust is to make power, and not rattle my teeth. In my youth, I've had noisy exhausts, but I think I've outgrown that. But, hearing a highly tuned V8 (not a V10) with a loud exhaust system sometime makes the hair on my neck stand up. I went to visit a friend in Charlotte VA last year and visited some of the NASCAR Shops, the sounds of those engines gave me goosebumps

My modified full dual system with the stock mufflers makes me smile when I walk behind it at idle, and my neighbors don't complain. Can't ask for more than that. And besides, the stock mufflers really aren't that bad. See the cutaway I attached.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast-is_f_exhaustmufflers.jpg  
Old 11-08-11, 03:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts

^^^ Correct Lou...

Most baffled and/or chambered mufflers will cancel out sound waves to a more acceptable level.

The cut away photo of the OEM version is a good example of it..

It also will slow down the "Exhaust Gas Flow" outward... So it's not as free flowing as a straight muffler per se.

~ Joe Z
Old 11-08-11, 04:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^I agree, and for a low restriction exhaust system, I truly believe the JoeZ System is the best for the breed for the ISF. IMHO, the workmanship and materials used are amazing. I have seen and touched it, and it truly is the best of the breed However, for me, it's just too loud for everyday driving. My exhaust system is nowhere near as pretty, but with my PPE headers and Hi-Flow cats it gets the job done

Lou
Old 11-09-11, 05:28 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by primecut
Just a thought... if you want stock noise level, and you're using stock mufflers (Which would negate a lot of the free-flowing piping behind it), then why not stay with the full stock setup? Or just cut out the secondary cats and call it a day?
I couldn't have said it any better than Lou! I'm 100% with him on this one... but here are my main reasons for doing this:

1) less noise/drone = happy neighbors and other car occupants
2) maintaining true dual exhaust vs. OEM setup
3) no major loss in performance due to the design of the stock mufflers; to be confirmed by dyno
3) 15/20 mins to switch between the two setups, which makes it super easy to switch between the two for car show days or whenever I want Joe-Z's exhaust sound back in my life, lol
Old 11-09-11, 10:05 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want quiet, leave it stock, if you want performance get an aftermarket. That's kinda ghetto to me to be doing to an ISF. Those bends on the rear section look to be making the piping smaller too.
Old 11-09-11, 10:09 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^I agree, and for a low restriction exhaust system, I truly believe the JoeZ System is the best for the breed for the ISF. IMHO, the workmanship and materials used are amazing. I have seen and touched it, and it truly is the best of the breed However, for me, it's just too loud for everyday driving. My exhaust system is nowhere near as pretty, but with my PPE headers and Hi-Flow cats it gets the job done

Lou
As always Lou, I appreciate your honest response..!!!

Best Regards,

~ Joe Z
Old 11-09-11, 12:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDW91
If you want quiet, leave it stock, if you want performance get an aftermarket. That's kinda ghetto to me to be doing to an ISF. Those bends on the rear section look to be making the piping smaller too.
To each his own, but as mentioned, IMO the serious flow impediment in the crush bend in the stock exhaust is the main reason I went to a full dual setup utilizing stock mufflers. And, my Dyno sheet says that maybe I did the right thing.

Lou
Old 11-09-11, 02:36 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

It will be interesting to see that dyno run and see if you're right!
I know there's big gains to be had with headers/exhaust, but I love the stock set up.
Old 11-09-11, 07:41 PM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Not going to be a critic here, but one would assume an exhaust shop would do some better pipe bending for such a nice car.

Video pleasee!!
Old 11-10-11, 06:30 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDW91
I appreciate the feedback, but you're missing the part where I can switch between the two setups quickly which is important to me. I'm not quite sure why you would call this ghetto... just because it's not pleasing to the eyes? a quite exhaust that is a true dual and catless is NOT the same as OEM.

Originally Posted by IronNam
Not going to be a critic here, but one would assume an exhaust shop would do some better pipe bending for such a nice car.

Video pleasee!!
haha... I agree, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I wasn't 100% sure I was going to like. Again, this is not meant to be a masterpiece... this is just a way to overcome the drone and loud cabin noise while maybe maintaining some HP gains.

The sound is pretty much like stock... I don't think I'll be able to pick up the subtle difference with a video, but I'll try.

Last edited by DS2k; 11-10-11 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 06:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IronNam
Video pleasee!!
A Video of mine is here:

http://youtu.be/stqr-gE06TM

Last edited by flowrider; 04-11-12 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast