IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Returned Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 07:27 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Returned Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires

I ordered the Continental DWS tires from Tirerack for the front. I then took them to the dealer and had them mount and balance them. They also did an alignment. After around 500 miles of driving on different roads, I decided the car was pulling to the right and it was not my imagination. So I went back to the dealer and had them check the tires and alignment. They cross-rotated the tires, but it still pulled to the right. Plus, they double-checked the alignment and said it was right on the money. I also told them about the pulling to the right issue that many F owners have had issues with and posted about on this site. Their conclusion was that it was the tires. Especially since I had no problems with the OEM Bridgestones for 27K miles. So, I sent the Conti's back to Tirerack and ordered some Michelin Pilot PS2's instead. (Their customer service is great!) Sure enough, the car seems to be fine now! I'll keep everyone posted if something changes, but I'm staying with the Michelins when it comes time to order the back ones. My recommendation is to stay with the OEM Bridgestone Potenza's or OEM Michelin Pilot PS2's. While they are more expensive, they are definitely worth it. Many have had success with other brands, and that's great. This is just my story and opinion that I wanted to share. This forum has helped me so many times, I hope to contribute and maybe help someone else in return.
Old 03-22-11, 09:26 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DWS has an asymmetric design, so what you were experiencing was probably the result of not having them on all 4 posts. I've ran DW for a whole season and I thought they were the best for the value.
Old 03-22-11, 09:52 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

DWS has an asymmetric design, so what you were experiencing was probably the result of not having them on all 4 posts.
I bet that's what it was. If I could have put them on all four, I bet it would have handled a lot better. So many people have had success with both the DW and DWS, I really wanted them to work out for me too.
Old 03-22-11, 10:40 AM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious...what tires do you have in the rear? So you're currently running PS2s in front, and something else in the back?

Seems like an unusual choice.

Personally, I think the ExtremeContact DW is an amazing tire and I would highly recommend it, but I would never put DWS on a performance car.
Old 03-22-11, 10:43 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

damn i havent had any issues on my IS350 other than compliments, most likely ur were experiencing this since u didnt have all four
Old 03-22-11, 11:01 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Thanks for sharing your experience with the DWS, but I'm going to derail your thread.

Has anyone used both the DW (summer) and the Michelin PS2? How do they compare for road use (comfort, noise, grip, wet handling) and light track use? Seeing that the DW is half the price of the PS2, might be worth looking into.
Old 03-22-11, 11:24 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by rhy
Has anyone used both the DW (summer) and the Michelin PS2? How do they compare for road use (comfort, noise, grip, wet handling) and light track use? Seeing that the DW is half the price of the PS2, might be worth looking into.
Yep, me! My experiences are here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xtreme-dw.html

And, YES I am still extremely pleased with them

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
My recommendation is to stay with the OEM Bridgestone Potenza's or OEM Michelin Pilot PS2's. While they are more expensive, they are definitely worth it.
Please let's not bash a tire that's not being used as recommended. You tried mixing two different types and brands of tires., no one recommends doing this. The DWS is an Ultra Hi-Po All Season Tire that should be compared with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, not the PS2. And, in any case should not be run on the same car at the same time, especially a Performance Car. The DW is a Max Performance Summer that compares with the PS2, and again they should not be run on the same car at the same time. IMHO, your recommendation is flawed.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 03-22-11 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 02:50 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Just curious...what tires do you have in the rear? So you're currently running PS2s in front, and something else in the back?
I have the original Bridgestone Potenza RE050A in the rear. They still have about 10k miles left, so I just had to get new tires for the front.

Last edited by IS350atWOT; 03-22-11 at 02:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-11, 03:06 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

IMHO, your recommendation is flawed.
I'm just simply recommending that you stay with OEM. The F has two OEM tires: Bridgestone Potenza and Michelin Pilot. If I would have, it would have saved me lots of trouble. So what do you do when your fronts wear out faster than your rears and you want to switch brands? Buy all 4, wasting rubber on the backs? On a side note, I currently have new Michelin Pilot PS2s on the front and Bridgestone Potenza RE050As on the back and have no problem. Other members are mixing tires/brands with no problems. I have a friend with Dunlops in the front and Hankooks on the back.
Old 03-22-11, 03:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
So what do you do when your fronts wear out faster than your rears and you want to switch brands?
Change all four. You're driving a Lexus ISF for gosh sakes. The tires are unique to each of the four corners of the car. If you want to cut corners by only buying two tires at a time, get a Corolla. When I replaced my PS2s with the DW, I still had tread on all four tires, but I was interested in more than just saving a couple of cents. At least you now have the same type of tire on all four corners.

Lou
Old 03-22-11, 03:47 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

i just bought the DWS and i had enough thread left in the rears. I bought all four DWS and sold the old ones for some cash. This way i had all four DWS.
Old 03-22-11, 05:04 PM
elm3c
Rookie

FWIW, I'm running the Conti DWS on my Prius (wider than stock), had DWS installed on my parents' RX350, and recommended to my brother-in-law that he install them on his X5 (275/40/20 front and 315/35/20 rear). Works very well on all three vehicles.
Old 03-22-11, 05:10 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Change all four. You're driving a Lexus ISF for gosh sakes. The tires are unique to each of the four corners of the car. If you want to cut corners by only buying two tires at a time, get a Corolla. When I replaced my PS2s with the DW, I still had tread on all four tires, but I was interested in more than just saving a couple of cents. At least you now have the same type of tire on all four corners.
I agree. This is my fifth Lexus and I always screw up when I try a cheaper, non-OEM tire. I just messed up and wanted to share my screw up. So why don't everybody buy the Michelin Pilot PS2s? The most common reason I see is that they are too expensive. My thoughts are, so what, you're driving a Lexus for crying out loud! If they are not the best performance tire, then they are in the top two or three. They have proven themselves over and over in comparison tests by those such as Car and Driver. Why cut corners and buy the cheaper, less performing Continentals or Hankooks. We do have one of the best luxury performance cars out there. So why not buy the best tires for it. Same goes for the brake pads and rotors. People are complaining about the high prices of the OEM brake pads and rotors. Why get some cheap alternatives? If you can't afford pricey parts such as Michelin and Brembo, then step down to a lesser of a sports/luxury car. P.S. I'm not flaming anyone on this thread, I'm just venting
Old 03-22-11, 05:17 PM
rhy
Pole Position

^^ If the DW is providing similar performance as the PS2 for half the price, I'd certainly consider them. Something being cheaper doesn't mean it's inferior, especially when we're talking about different brands.

If we didn't care about cost, we'd all be driving Lambos
Old 03-22-11, 05:21 PM
elm3c
Rookie

One reason I can see switching to another tire: all-season daily usage. In my area, the temps drop to the 30's and 40's quite often in the winter, with light snow a few times. And yes, this is in the SF Bay Area.

If my IS-F was a daily driver, I would consider installing the DWS for winter safety reasons, with another set of wheels for the track and rest of the year...

Quick Reply: Returned Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires