IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

More thoughts on the M3 vs F (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 04:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent review. Especially helpful to me as I consider both of these cars for later.
Old 11-30-09, 07:56 PM
Christan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

davcrz5, I have the Tein Sport Comforts with EDFC installed and yes, it does everything you'd expect a high end dampening system to do. 16 settings is a tad much but then again it depends on how you drive your car.

It has certainly made the car handle better and Sports mode seems to compliment this system as well.

From my experience, the car is sharper, (more pointy) and agile and definitely more precise and gives you more feedback. There are many good suspension systems out there and you just have to see which one you prefer. As for me i chose tein because of the support in my country.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-09, 08:01 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by s4play

One thing the OP forgot to mention is the simply awesome steering wheel on his m3. The Lexus one leaves much to be desired compared to the m3's thick meaty wheel.

rick
I like the wheel that the IS-F carries under the trunk.
Old 11-30-09, 08:41 PM
slowIST
Driver

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
LOL! Spare tire ftw.
Old 11-30-09, 10:40 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i honestly prefer the less thick steering wheel of the F. when i tested the m3, it felt as if my fingers were already saying that this wouldnt be the ride for me. i myself have big hands, but definitely the F steering wheel was the right fit in terms of an ergonomic feel for me. and as for the spare tire, it is a nice NECESSITY to have a spare in the trunk in the event you pop a tire. though it saves weight on the ride, i like knowing its there instead of a tire goin flat on an m3 with nothing but having to wait for a tow.
Old 12-01-09, 05:18 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Excellent point. I can understand a pure sports car foregoing a spare in the name of performance, but a sedan needs a proper spare. The M mobility kit, with its can of fix-a-flat and an air compressor, is a poor compromise at best. If I found myself doing a lot of road trips in the car I would put a spare and jack in the trunk.
Old 12-01-09, 06:31 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
Excellent point. I can understand a pure sports car foregoing a spare in the name of performance, but a sedan needs a proper spare. The M mobility kit, with its can of fix-a-flat and an air compressor, is a poor compromise at best. If I found myself doing a lot of road trips in the car I would put a spare and jack in the trunk.
Yeah, someone here mentioned that his F and a M3 hit a pothole in nyc.They both cracked their rim...... Guess who was stuck on the expressway for a long long time????
Old 12-01-09, 06:34 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I like how nobody even mentioned about the super harsh riding Run Flat tires on the bmw. My buddy had a 335 with sport package as a loaner, for a car with 18s only, that thing was bouncing around like a civic and I felt like every freekin thing on the road as a passenger.... I cant even imagine a M3 with even stiffer suspension. And you guys complain about the Is F with bad ride quality?????
Old 12-01-09, 06:37 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
I like how nobody even mentioned about the super harsh riding Run Flat tires on the bmw. My buddy had a 335 with sport package as a loaner, for a car with 18s only, that thing was bouncing around like a civic and I felt like every freekin thing on the road as a passenger.... I cant even imagine a M3 with even stiffer suspension. And you guys complain about the Is F with bad ride quality?????
The M3 doesn't have run flats. My car came with PS2s. This is the reason you get the can of fix-a-flat and the air compressor in the M. BMWs with run flats get nothing more than a roadside assistance phone number.
Old 12-01-09, 06:46 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
A 335 is not an M3. The M3 does not come with RFT's and it also has available adjustable suspension that can be set to a softer setting than the F's.
Old 12-01-09, 06:54 AM
ISFAIL
Rookie

Not to mention BMW's awesome free scheduled maintenance program. Look the M3 is and has been an iconic performance car that continues to set the bar for all around performance and precision handling but the fact that so many forums are having discussions like this is a win for Lexus and the IS-F, regardless of which car outperforms the other.

Last edited by ISFAIL; 12-01-09 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-01-09, 08:56 PM
Christan
Driver

lol both are good cars otherwise both marques will not have such ardent fans. I don't see people shouting out about how great malaysian Proton's are. haha
Old 12-08-09, 07:39 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What are you serious we have a spare?? Damn I didn't even know that - time for me to read the manual!

Ironically I just sold one of my BMW Mobility kits to this guy tonight off CL and he swore by it (he showed up in a M-roadster) and said he has 3 of them sitting around and wanted one more for his son's car! hahah

For my e46 m3, I used to just throw a spare 18" rim/tire for long road trips to socal but it's definitely nice to know the IS-F has a spare!

I love my IS-F but wish the steering wheel is thicker and the suspension is stiffer - I want new coils for sure....

rick
Old 12-09-09, 01:58 PM
boostd4lfe
Driver School Candidate

great post. 2 out 0f 3 baby!
Old 12-10-09, 01:03 AM
Christan
Driver

Lol the ISF steering wheel is slightly thicker than the Porsche 997 one. I think its all down to preference.

I personally like it the way it is!

Quick Reply: More thoughts on the M3 vs F (long)