IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Time to replace my tires - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 07:23 AM
Looney100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out tirerack.com. You can filter on tires that will fit your car, and then see test results on those that fit.
Old 07-19-09, 10:09 AM
verals05
Lead Lap

Whats the best setup for stock rims on stock height? I'm thinking of going with the PS2's, but should i stick to stock size? or go wider and taller?
Old 07-19-09, 03:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^With the width of the wheels, I would go no wider than 245 in front and 275 in back. Also I have seen Fs with taller sidewalls and I don't think that works in the looks department. Taller also changes the gearing and electronics. With that being said, IMHO, that means 245/35/19 in front and 275/30/19 in back, as I said in post #2 on the front page. Those sizes are available in the PS2 line.

Lou
Old 09-24-10, 03:16 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Was searching for replacement tires and resurrected this old thread...

Well, 33k miles on a 2008 ISF and it was time to replace the rears with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110, stock size.

Had the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 on the fronts from ~22k miles and they felt fine. Cornering wasn't as "sharp" as the stock Potenza's, but for 90% of the performance at ~60% the price of the Potenza's or Michelin's, it was a good deal.

But a weird thing happened, once the Hankooks K110's where installed in the rear, the whole car feels "squirrely." Lane changes that would feel snappy and controllable now, compared with the old Potenza's in the rear and Hankooks in the front, feels really "loose." After a lane change, it will feel as if the car will continue to "slide" for a little before settling down, as if the sidewall on the rear tires are extremely soft. Continuous sweepers like 270 degree freeway onramps are fine, not as much grip and feel as the Potenza's, but good enough for daily driving.

Another odd behaviour is under hard acceleration, when making minute wheel corrections while going straight, the car feels "boatish." Like the car's body movements are delayed with the corrections and makes the car feel "floaty." I suppose that is the difference between the Hankooks and the suggested OEM's like Bridgestone Potenza's and Michelin PS2's.

I'll give the Hankook's a little bit more time to break-in and see if the perfomance improves. Tire pressures all around were set to 38psi cold, checking immediately after 1 hour of driving, they were registering at 45-46 psi.

In summary, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 installed on the fronts, performance was adequate. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 on the rears, ISF body movements are "delayed" and squirrely.

Originally Posted by gengar
Just to clarify that the C+D comparo was budget tires vs. the benchmark PS2s. Other than the benchmark, they didn't test a single tire over ~$130 or so and the average price was close to $100. Of course this makes the test more valid as far as the OP is concerned, but it's not like they tested even midrange tires.

Personally, I don't think this is an area anyone should skimp on, good magazine performance metrics or not. You bought a $60,000 performance car and want to save a couple hundred on tires?

I'll probably go with the Neova AD08's (or maybe a new version at that time?) when I need a replacement.
Old 09-24-10, 03:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177

Well, 33k miles on a 2008 ISF and it was time to replace the rears with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110, stock size.

Had the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 on the fronts from ~22k miles and they felt fine. Cornering wasn't as "sharp" as the stock Potenza's, but for 90% of the performance at ~60% the price of the Potenza's or Michelin's, it was a good deal.

But a weird thing happened, once the Hankooks K110's where installed in the rear, the whole car feels "squirrely." Lane changes that would feel snappy and controllable now, compared with the old Potenza's in the rear and Hankooks in the front, feels really "loose." After a lane change, it will feel as if the car will continue to "slide" for a little before settling down, as if the sidewall on the rear tires are extremely soft. Continuous sweepers like 270 degree freeway onramps are fine, not as much grip and feel as the Potenza's, but good enough for daily driving.

Another odd behaviour is under hard acceleration, when making minute wheel corrections while going straight, the car feels "boatish." Like the car's body movements are delayed with the corrections and makes the car feel "floaty." I suppose that is the difference between the Hankooks and the suggested OEM's like Bridgestone Potenza's and Michelin PS2's.

I'll give the Hankook's a little bit more time to break-in and see if the perfomance improves. Tire pressures all around were set to 38psi cold, checking immediately after 1 hour of driving, they were registering at 45-46 psi.

In summary, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 installed on the fronts, performance was adequate. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 on the rears, ISF body movements are "delayed" and squirrely.
You might want to try 40 or 41 psi cold. Your warm pressure (post drive) is extremely high. Are you very confident your gauge is correct? This really sounds like pretty severe underinflation.
Old 11-01-10, 03:18 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

itsmike177... any updates? Did you re-check your pressures as recommended?
Old 11-01-10, 03:59 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Pressures are 38-39 psi all around for all 4 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110. My tire pressure gauges are accurate and both measured 38-39psi.

Actually, after driving on them for 1500 miles, they are much better. Sudden lane changes are still not as "stable" as the OEM Potenza's, so I just have to be smoother with the inputs. I cannot be as "sudden" with steering inputs, as the car will feel as if it is "sliding" a little before settling, but they are much better than when they were new. Either that, or I adapted on how to drive with them...

Wear wise - OEM fronts lasted me around 22k miles, then just replaced fronts with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110, currently at 36k miles and the front inner wear is still good. As in not worn to the cords yet. Rears are probably around 2k on them now, and so far so good.

As daily driven tires, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 will suffice due to the price, wear, and performance. But at the limit, they are about...i would say 80% of the OEM Potenza's in terms of drive feel and 90% of the grip. Wet weather in Southern CA a couple weeks ago and the Hankooks handled just fine; up to 110mph in the wet was no problem.

I will go back to the OEM Potenza's when it is time for tires again.

Originally Posted by eXstasy
itsmike177... any updates? Did you re-check your pressures as recommended?

Last edited by itsmike177; 11-01-10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-01-10, 04:27 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

Thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds like they aren't as bad after you break them in.

Do you think the floaty and unstable sensation is due to the softer sidewalls of the Hankooks vs OEM? Have you tried upping cold pressures a bit to counteract this?

The reason I ask is because I just replaced my OEM tires with these and noticed almost exactly the same things that you did. I'm hoping they are better after I break them in a bit. I'm going to get better readings on my tire pressures soon also. I don't think they were set correctly by the installer.
Old 11-01-10, 04:29 PM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm, maybe you had to wear the slime off the new tires...?
Old 11-01-10, 04:55 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

That's pretty much the exact same thing I experience with the Hankooks. Floaty and unstable.

Off the top of my head, I think that in the Car and Driver budget performance tire comparison, they mentioned that the Hankooks felt softer and had less feel, but they do manage to grip near the PS2's. Just have to trust the tires to grip. But that wallowing feeling just does not feel good...

I did try 42psi cold all around once and it felt the same as it does at 38-39psi. It does feel like the sidewalls are not as stiff, actually a lot less stiff. They are 30-40% cheaper than OEM Potenza's, so I guess that's the trade off...

Originally Posted by eXstasy
Thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds like they aren't as bad after you break them in.

Do you think the floaty and unstable sensation is due to the softer sidewalls of the Hankooks vs OEM? Have you tried upping cold pressures a bit to counteract this?

The reason I ask is because I just replaced my OEM tires with these and noticed almost exactly the same things that you did. I'm hoping they are better after I break them in a bit. I'm going to get better readings on my tire pressures soon also. I don't think they were set correctly by the installer.
Old 11-01-10, 07:16 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ That's my same experience, I hate the Hankook's V12, with them my ISF is not a performance car anymore. You better pray if you change lanes at high speed!

Well, they're my spare set, only used if I'm doing something to my main set of wheels. Next tires for the stock wheels will be NT05s, unless Falken makes the RT-615 in our stock sizes.
Old 11-01-10, 07:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Well, I am very happy with my Continental Extreme Contact DW tires. I have 245/35/19 in front and 285/30/19 in back on stock wheels. Great traction, Great handling, and a very nice ride. I luv 'em

Lou
Old 11-01-10, 07:51 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Juanca
^^^ That's my same experience, I hate the Hankook's V12, with them my ISF is not a performance car anymore. You better pray if you change lanes at high speed!

Well, they're my spare set, only used if I'm doing something to my main set of wheels. Next tires for the stock wheels will be NT05s, unless Falken makes the RT-615 in our stock sizes.
I'll give it a little more time before I pass my judgement. I realize it's not fair since I haven't set my pressures yet. I also can't really compare my OEM PS2s at 2/32 (which were still awesome) vs these brand new V12s at full tread depth. I'm sure there's a lot more tread squirm
Old 11-01-10, 08:50 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

KUMHO SPT's are great for price of Hankook, but road feel of the PS2 in my experience.

Nothing performs like PS2... so if money is no object... you won't be disappointed!

If value is your goal... Kumho SPT's are great.

Peace,
Dave
Old 03-04-11, 02:49 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Update on the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 on all 4's:

Fronts now have 20k miles on them, rears have 9k.

For the price that I paid for of $167/front tire, $199/rear tire, these tires are not bad at all.

"Feedback" is still lacking and there is still quite a bit of tire squirm when driving at 80%+ of the cars ability, but for a daily driver, the Hankooks perform adequately. I remember when I first had these tires and I can honestly say that they do require a break-in period of around 500 miles or 2 gas tanks fillups (or 3-4....)

I've played around with the tires pressures and came out to what others suggested here, cold 41-42psi all around.

Are they similar to the OEM Potenza's as far as "hard" performance driving? No. It's difficult to gauge, but I believe the main part is the lack of feedback from the Hankooks. Quick lane changes still require a bit of "finesse" on the Hankooks, whereas the OEM Potenzas would just "snap" without drama.

Here are pictures of the front 2 tires after 20k miles on the Hankooks. Still plenty of tread, esp on the insides. (Credit for alignment goes to West End Alignment in LA.)

A side note is that the car still drifts to the right even after West End aligned it (and moved the subframe) and a Lexus Dealer aligned it twice. I've learned to deal with the known right drift issue as long as the tires wear evenly. I will go with the PS2's or Potenza next time to see if that cures the drift (possibly radial pull with the Hankooks.)

Originally Posted by itsmike177

Attached Thumbnails Time to replace my tires - any suggestions?-img_0731.jpg   Time to replace my tires - any suggestions?-img_0733.jpg  

Quick Reply: Time to replace my tires - any suggestions?