Which Oil Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 10:50 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yep. Just like the old Supra days. The "made in Japan" filters were considered "better" than the made in USA or made in Thailand filters, but no one had any solid proof this was true in any way.

I seriously doubt there is any filtering difference, and my UOA supports the Thai made filter delivering clean oil to the engine. I'll take the YZZ4, thank you.

^^^ I can't see the pics here at work.. (firewalls)

So the size / specs are exactly the same between the two??
(leaving out the filtering differences, if any)

Joe Z
Old 12-30-09, 10:51 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Knowing when and where is the difference between poverty and wealth.

i like that saying...
The following users liked this post:
Arfboy (10-31-21)
Old 12-30-09, 11:52 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
i "took one for the team" and i bought both oil filters so i could check them out...

the kit on the right comes with some plastic adaptor piece and an extra o-ring

list price for the YZZA4 is $5.41
list price for the 51010 is $11.57
Thanks, I was going to do the same thing, you beat me to the punch. From now on, I will buy the YZZA4 filter. For further information, the filter for my wife's ES (bought at a Lexus dealer) has the suffix YZZA1 and is also made in Thailand. That plastic fitting and extra O-ring are for filter housings that are mounted in a vertical position, and are not mounted horizontally like the Fs. There is a fitting on the end of the housing that is removable, and allows the oil trapped in the housing to drip out before you remove it. The plastic adapter pushes up and the oil drips through through it. The small O-ring seals the fitting back to the housing. The ES oil filter is exactly the same OD as ours, but is shorter.

Lou
Old 12-30-09, 05:03 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Just like the old Supra days. The "made in Japan" filters were considered "better" than the made in USA or made in Thailand filters, but no one had any solid proof this was true in any way.

I seriously doubt there is any filtering difference, and my UOA supports the Thai made filter delivering clean oil to the engine. I'll take the YZZ4, thank you.

Oh, the "you bought a $60k car, why are you cheaping out on it" is no different than paying $40 a liter for the magical V-160 oil for the Getrag in the Supra. V-160 oil is just Dexron II. Dexron III is a suitable substitute according to every lubrication engineer I've talked to. The only Dex III you can't run in the Getrag is Red Line D-4 ATF since it has too much seal swell in it for the DU bushing in the gearbox. I fixed mine after I had an issue with it, and now I run Mobil 1 ATF - it's worked great for years and doesn't cost $40 a liter. Sometimes you have to spend money. Many times you don't. Knowing when and where is the difference between poverty and wealth.
Couldn't disagree more with this statement. the difference between spending $4.00 a quart and spending $40.00 a quart is tremendous. But saving $3.00 will not amass any fortunes, but loosing 10k out of pocket for a new engine because YOU installed the wrong filter will sure put a dent in my savings... I don't disagree there is a time and a place to save, but this is NOT the area to do it. If you pop a motor in a new ISF you best believe that Lexus is going to be sending engineers to examine the vehicle, and will surly find the filter which you installed. Forensic investigations is what I specialize in and have found more than one vehicle whom has had catastrophic failures due to incorrect parts being installed. However, I wish you luck, I will stick with the correct filter for our vehicle.
Old 12-30-09, 07:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ming15237
However, I wish you luck, I will stick with the correct filter for our vehicle.
We all have opinions, and we all make choices. Do you really think Toyota would make a substandard oil filter for it's other large displacement engines? It appears that the YZZA4 filter is for vertically mounted filter housings and that's why they include the extra pieces, which we do not need. Anyway, you have made a choice to use the filter that costs more, and IMHO, does not offer any extra protection than the less expensive filter. I have made another choice, based on the evidence I have seen here and the Thai manufactured filter that Lexus recommends for my wife's ES. Again, I wish to thank HyperMKIV for his effort.

Lou
Old 12-30-09, 10:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Couldn't disagree more with this statement. the difference between spending $4.00 a quart and spending $40.00 a quart is tremendous. But saving $3.00 will not amass any fortunes, but loosing 10k out of pocket for a new engine because YOU installed the wrong filter will sure put a dent in my savings... I don't disagree there is a time and a place to save, but this is NOT the area to do it. If you pop a motor in a new ISF you best believe that Lexus is going to be sending engineers to examine the vehicle, and will surly find the filter which you installed. Forensic investigations is what I specialize in and have found more than one vehicle whom has had catastrophic failures due to incorrect parts being installed. However, I wish you luck, I will stick with the correct filter for our vehicle.
I have Used Oil Analysis to support my contention. What do you have to support yours?
Old 12-31-09, 05:20 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

I have Used Oil Analysis to support my contention. What do you have to support yours?
Ahhhh the CORRECT part number DIRECTLY from the manufacturer of the vehicle in question... I wish you the best of luck if a problem arises.
Old 12-31-09, 12:50 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^^ I can't see the pics here at work.. (firewalls)

So the size / specs are exactly the same between the two??
(leaving out the filtering differences, if any)

Joe Z
yup...they are identical in physical size
but the color is different which leads me to believe the composition of the filter element itself is slightly different
Old 12-31-09, 02:44 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of oir filters... I was at Walmart this morning and found that they list an oil filter for the IS-F. Part number is FRAM CH10295 at $6.44. I opened the box and it looks the same as the OEM filter. Any one ready to give it a try?
Old 12-31-09, 06:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Ahhhh the CORRECT part number DIRECTLY from the manufacturer of the vehicle in question... I wish you the best of luck if a problem arises.
I'd say problems are measurably unlikely. Blackstone specifically commented on the oil filter's exceptional ability to remove contaminants.

Keep needlessly spending your money on the little stuff. I'll save mine for PS2s where it makes a huge difference.
Old 12-31-09, 06:59 PM
zppeacock
Rookie

Both the filters are pretty much the same, from the factory it will come with the japan filter (darker) but when you get service done at the dealer they use the A4, There is nothing wrong with the A4 and it will not void your warranty. The A4 is also used on the 5.7l Tundra.
Old 12-31-09, 08:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Juanca
Speaking of oir filters... I was at Walmart this morning and found that they list an oil filter for the IS-F. Part number is FRAM CH10295 at $6.44. I opened the box and it looks the same as the OEM filter. Any one ready to give it a try?
This post is worthless without pics!!!
Old 01-02-10, 06:19 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next time I go to Walmart I'll take a picture of it, I didn't buy it.

This post is worthless without pics!!!
Old 01-02-10, 07:16 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

I'd say problems are measurably unlikely. Blackstone specifically commented on the oil filter's exceptional ability to remove contaminants.

Keep needlessly spending your money on the little stuff. I'll save mine for PS2s where it makes a huge difference.
Thankfully for my "F's" sake I will. The extra $89.80 spent over the period of 100,000 miles will hardly put a dent in my budget. However, I hope that an Arbitration board would see things in the same light for you in the event that you have a catastrophic engine failure during your warranty period. From my past experiences in such events, I feel that your likelihood of success in such an event is next to immeasurable.
Old 01-02-10, 10:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Thankfully for my "F's" sake I will. The extra $89.80 spent over the period of 100,000 miles will hardly put a dent in my budget. However, I hope that an Arbitration board would see things in the same light for you in the event that you have a catastrophic engine failure during your warranty period. From my past experiences in such events, I feel that your likelihood of success in such an event is next to immeasurable.
You have really taken this to the extreme If you have catastrophic engine failure, even if you have used a third party filter, and you can prove the oil was changed based on lexus's schedule or better, they could not deny you a claim. And again, the filter specified by Lexus for my wife's ES is a Thai filter with the associated number sequence.

Lou

Quick Reply: Which Oil Filter?