IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Completed R&D on PTS Dual Exhaust System Joe Z series & Joe Z Intake for IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 12:03 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Completed R&D on PTS Dual Exhaust System Joe Z series & Joe Z Intake for IS-F

Thanks to the folks of Performance Tube Systems & Joe Z here in SoCal..!!
I am finally happy to share some pictures, videos & dyno's of my IS-F.

The PTS Full True Dual Exhaust sounds simply amazing.
It's a 2.5" true 304 Stainless Steel mandrel bent system.
It will come with an integrated X-pipe and many other quality specs. Including Fully TIG welded.
It is similar to their current design for the IS350, offered via www.CarsonTuned.com.
However, it has quite a few changes to accommodate our V8 engine & 8-speed transmission.

This secondary cat less system has measured gains of approximately 22 rwhp and 18 ft lbs of torque.
The independent Dynos were done in 5th & 6th gear...
The 6th gear run will be used to display the most accurate results. This represents the closest 1:1 gear ratio. However, the graph is a bit choppy due to the noise interference through the dyno, from the car reaching top speed of 170 mph!!
My car was Dynod with the stock intake during the exhaust testing.

* Exhaust Weight Facts *

OEM Exhaust System (2 sections)
Front-Mid section = 33 lbs
Rear Axle section = 37 lbs
Total = 70 lbs

PTS - 304 Stainless Steel Exhaust (4 sections)
Front X-pipe = 16 lbs
Mid section = 19 lbs
Rear axle sections = 29 lbs
Total = 64 lbs

I only have a few pictures of the exhaust at this time. Better ones will be out soon I'm sure.
But we did take plenty of video during the Dyno & also some really nice driving videos..

Videos (click on below thumbnails to see)

..............Front X-Pipe...............................................................&..........................Mid Pipe Sections.........

Rear Axle Sections

Inside the OEM Exhaust Collector from behind the rear bumper.

Old 10-05-08, 12:04 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

The Joe Z Intake Pipe design has been around since 2002 and is currently available for the IS300, IS250 & IS350.
Which all use a 3" pipe constructed of 6061-T4 Aluminum.

This version for the IS-F uses the same material however, it is constructed with a 3.5" aluminum pipe.

The independently dynod intake had approximate gains of 5 rwhp, per the results. Not much, but I am not looking for anything too loud with the intake. Plus our Dual Stage Intake design is not something I want to remove or mess with.

Joe had this first one made Anodized Blue just for me.
It just so happened to match my Ultrasonic Blue pretty good.
The sleeves in the pics were just temporary. He got me black ones now.
My car was Dynod with stock exhaust during the Joe Z Intake testing.

Enjoy the pics:

OEM Intake

Joe Z Intake

Joe Z Intake Pipe close up

Old 10-05-08, 12:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

I've driven this car, i've heard it from outside...and this exhaust is what the IS-F should have come with from the beginning. It's very clean, not raspy and as you can see, the power gains are pretty impressive.
Old 10-05-08, 12:14 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Driving Phillip's car made me go home and start crunching numbers to see if I could buy an IS-F... The IS-F "Z Edition" sounds great, and is bark as well as bite! I think we all owe Phillip a tank of gas though...

Javier
Old 10-05-08, 12:37 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw that intake in person and heard the exhaust too. The intake looks great. The exhaust sounded awesome. I wonder though if there's any drone. The stock exhaust has an awful drone around 2k rpms.
Old 10-05-08, 12:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
I saw that intake in person and heard the exhaust too. The intake looks great. The exhaust sounded awesome. I wonder though if there's any drone. The stock exhaust has an awful drone around 2k rpms.
Wait, I thought you were from the Bay Area? This is not the same exhaust that you saw at EOS v.7.
Old 10-05-08, 12:54 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Wait, I thought you were from the Bay Area? This is not the same exhaust that you saw at EOS v.7.

Oh, it's a new one? Oops! Yeah from bay area. Anyone know what JoeZ's username on here is? Need to ask him a question.

Oh and are there any manufacturers make test pipes to remove all the cats yet?
Old 10-05-08, 01:02 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Will you still be able to pass smog with the secondary cats removed? Will there be an option to retain the stock xpipe/secondary cats for those who don't want the hassle of dealing with smogging issues?...Darshana S...
Old 10-05-08, 01:04 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Will you still be able to pass smog with the secondary cats removed? Will there be an option to retain the stock xpipe/secondary cats for those who don't want the hassle of dealing with smogging issues?...Darshana S...
the stock system doesn't have an x-pipe...and I don't think it will pass smog, but thats in 4-5 years...heh
Old 10-05-08, 01:18 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh wait - Phil - is this the exhaust i heard at EOS??? i thought it was the other one!
Old 10-05-08, 01:25 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sound wise is it at all like the srt? im working on measurements this week.

i see you changed your mind to stick with the car
Old 10-05-08, 01:59 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds great! You should do a dyno with both intake and exhaust. I think the combo should yield more gains when coupled together. I'm also in the same boat that the exhaust needs to pass smog tho.
Old 10-05-08, 02:36 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy the exhaust sounds awesome and the gains of 22whp are good, I like it very much good job joe. Also 5whp from the intake alone, did you put in a drop in or the stock filter? I am sure my intake and that exhaust should make a sweet combination. Just as prime said I think you should dyno the intake and exhaust together the numbers will be higher maybe near 30whp combined. When will the exhaust be ready? How much? Will there be a choice between cat and catless option. In FL there is no smog check so I can care less hehe....Do you think the stock dyno numbers are kinda low? I've seen dynos in the mid 340's to near 350whp and as much as 358whp posted by one of the members. Congrats sounds awesome any CEL's?

p.s. crazy i posted this thread on my.is for our fellow lexus enthusiasts....

Last edited by LexISguy; 10-05-08 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 03:11 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds and looks very very good! So it looks like 5th gear is the way to go on the dyno after seeing this. The 6th gear graphs just look awful with the noise and for testing purposes 5th gear should be fine.

BTW..Anyone know whats up with the cars power from 4000rpm to redline? The power goes up and down like a yoyo and seems pretty common with the graphs I've seen of the IS-F.
Old 10-05-08, 04:01 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of mufflers did you use?

Quick Reply: Completed R&D on PTS Dual Exhaust System Joe Z series & Joe Z Intake for IS-F