IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

For those of you who like to beat on the Lexus "Reliability Drum", come in here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 10:56 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Pro tip: Buy used E92M with rod bearings and actuators already replaced. Enjoy screaming V8 matched with one of the best DCT gearboxes. Winning.

Still plan to buy one. Love em.
People obviously need to do some research when buying M cars. You iether get them CPO or like you said with all expensive repairs already done. If you don't want to deal with any of this crap, you get ISF. E90/92 M3s are very desirable cars, many that buy them would never even look at anything else....ISF is a grocery getter for them

A buddy of mine bought IS250, tranny died within a month. I bet it's about $5k at the dealer. So **** happens.

Last edited by kolyan; 02-04-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-04-17, 12:28 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm hoping to have both here soon. Going to give the wife the F and I'll daily the E92. No scare.

Rod bearings is a long Saturday in the garage and actuators is common in the sense that most have been done under warranty.

Forums are scary. 10 threads and it's a NIGHTMARE problem lol. Rod bearing failure is a fraction of a % of the cars worldwide by the way. Is it a problem, per the accessibility of information these days yes, is it an epidemic, no.

Saying that of course I'd replace them for even $2500, one time, to prevent 10's of thousands in repairs. That's just preventative maintenance. Not ideal haha but preventative
Old 02-04-17, 04:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
I'm hoping to have both here soon. Going to give the wife the F and I'll daily the E92. No scare.

Rod bearings is a long Saturday in the garage and actuators is common in the sense that most have been done under warranty.

Forums are scary. 10 threads and it's a NIGHTMARE problem lol. Rod bearing failure is a fraction of a % of the cars worldwide by the way. Is it a problem, per the accessibility of information these days yes, is it an epidemic, no.

Saying that of course I'd replace them for even $2500, one time, to prevent 10's of thousands in repairs. That's just preventative maintenance. Not ideal haha but preventative
It would be better to know why they fail and fix that problem. Rod bearings only die from oiling system problems - either by design or execution. If the engine is sucking air into the oil, that will kill them in a flash. My dad designed and built an oil/air separator (not to be confused with a catch can) for circle track racing that prevented air bubbles from getting to the rod and main bearings. It did wonders for keeping the engine in one piece.

If its rod side clearance, that is easily diagnosed and fixed.
Old 02-05-17, 02:31 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
What happened to M3? Rod bearings?
no i just got rid of it, was tired of the random maintenance headaches. was still on original rod bearings, no dct issues, original throttle actuators as well. it was just piles of little stuff
Old 02-05-17, 02:39 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Pro tip: Buy used E92M with rod bearings and actuators already replaced. Enjoy screaming V8 matched with one of the best DCT gearboxes. Winning.

Still plan to buy one. Love em.
yeah i will say that much that car redlining at 8300 was definitely intoxicating to say the least. the dct was fun as well except in low speed normal driving situations when it would get confused what gear it needed to be in. that was my only gripe with dct

Originally Posted by kolyan
People obviously need to do some research when buying M cars. You iether get them CPO or like you said with all expensive repairs already done. If you don't want to deal with any of this crap, you get ISF. E90/92 M3s are very desirable cars, many that buy them would never even look at anything else....ISF is a grocery getter for them

A buddy of mine bought IS250, tranny died within a month. I bet it's about $5k at the dealer. So **** happens.
i bought mine with 60k miles, thats still new for most cars, hard to expect problems then lol. the car was taken car of, but they just start to eat themselves at some point.

Originally Posted by FFM

yeah that is true as well the forums make it worse. hardly no dct had issues but forums make it seem so, now rod bearings, not many had as you would think but the number still enough to be afraid. its just the inconsistency of the problem that was scary to me..

some got it at 100k miles, some at 50k miles, some at 80k miles, some as low as 20k miles. thats what made it scary for me lol
Old 02-23-17, 11:39 AM
Ekirks13
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Oh wow! Cool deal man! You do an excellent job on the them! I believe there were what, 2 others?! I found this one the most interesting. Feel free to post the other 2 if you want 👍

V.
Here are the other two banners - although we are about to create new ones since the new JD Powers Reports just came out announcing Lexus is once again first place (five years in a row) and Consumer Reports updated their Reliability Reports to a 100 point scale (much easier to understand than last year's report).

Consumer Reports Predicted Reliability Study
JD Power 2016 Reliability Rankings