IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Brake Systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 02:04 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
I agree with this....I have this set up, damn this pad grips like theres no tomorrow...initial bite is crazy, I can't wait to try it on the track, one thing I did notice though is that it has a lot of brake dust!!! kinda like oem...crazy bite!!!
+1
I have this setup for front and rear right now and it's awesome. I have it with endless rf650 brake fluid and I can tell you the brake pedal feels soooOoo much better. Only downside is it really DUST alot...a little more then the oem brake pads.
Old 01-09-17, 07:29 AM
JMGISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the replies! I have read through the full brake thread. Between that and the advice here, I am thinking I want to go with the RB 2 piece rotors and the PM HC+800 for the pads. Has anyone run this combo? The 'Hyper Carbon' compound seems like it should meet the semi-mettalic requirement of that rotor.

Also, I did not see anyone comment on the calipers. Safe to assume that means no one thinks I should be worried about them?
Old 01-09-17, 08:51 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^Our calipers are made my Brembo, 6 piston in front and 2 in back. Absolutely no reason to replace them. They are very capable.

Lou
Old 01-09-17, 10:01 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JMGISF
Thank you all for the replies! I have read through the full brake thread. Between that and the advice here, I am thinking I want to go with the RB 2 piece rotors and the PM HC+800 for the pads. Has anyone run this combo? The 'Hyper Carbon' compound seems like it should meet the semi-mettalic requirement of that rotor.

Also, I did not see anyone comment on the calipers. Safe to assume that means no one thinks I should be worried about them?
We've had several customers use the HC+800 pads with the RB rotors and the only issue we've heard back is that the PMU pads fit a little tight since we tried to maximize the pad thickness and the RB rotors are likely ever so slightly thicker than the OE rotors. To solve this we requested that half of our next batch be shaved 1mm so we will have pads specifically for our customers using RB rotors No issues at all with that compound not playing nice with RBs metallurgy.

Also I agree that the calipers are not the weak link or problem in your case.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 01-09-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 05:54 PM
JMGISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We've had several customers use the HC+800 pads with the RB rotors and the only issue we've heard back is that the PMU pads fit a little tight since we tried to maximize the pad thickness and the RB rotors are likely ever so slightly thicker than the OE rotors. To solve this we requested that half of our next batch be shaved 1mm so we will have pads specifically for our customers using RB rotors No issues at all with that compound not playing nice with RBs metallurgy.

Also I agree that the calipers are not the weak link or problem in your case.

-Matt M.
That's great. Do you know when you will have those in? I would like to pick up a set for front and back. Do you sell the RB rotors?
Old 01-11-17, 09:19 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OEM rotors and Project Mu HC+800 pads. Works great.
I couldn't agree more. You can get OEM rotors really cheap and HC+800 are phenomenal pads. If you track your car, you'll notice how quick these things wear out, so ponying up $1000+ for new rotors is not an option, at least for me.
Old 01-11-17, 10:10 AM
eternallx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are people buying oem slotted rotors?
Old 01-11-17, 10:34 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eternallx

What do you mean by OEM slotted? Do you mean OEM size/spec?
I bought Brakenetic slotted for the ISF. I posted a link on the previous page.
There are no exact OEM slotted made by Brembo for the ISF.
Old 01-11-17, 11:21 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JMGISF
That's great. Do you know when you will have those in? I would like to pick up a set for front and back. Do you sell the RB rotors?
They are scheduled to arrive on Monday the 16th! We don't sell the RB rotors, just the centrics, Project Mu Club Racers and (in the near future) we will start stocking DBA for the IS-F.

-Matt M.
Old 01-11-17, 01:21 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eternallx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-OEM-Replacement-Front-Rotors-Lexus-IS-F-/151733058041?fits=Make%3ALexus&hash=item2353feb9f9:g:afQAAOSwJcZWgne6&vxp=mtr

These come in branded as Brembo, they're not slotted, just cross drilled. I usually use them for one season and throw them out.

Last edited by bbong; 01-11-17 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 02:54 PM
eternallx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
What do you mean by OEM slotted? Do you mean OEM size/spec?
I bought Brakenetic slotted for the ISF. I posted a link on the previous page.
There are no exact OEM slotted made by Brembo for the ISF.
Originally Posted by bbong
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-OEM-Replacement-Front-Rotors-Lexus-IS-F-/151733058041?fits=Make%3ALexus&hash=item2353feb9f9:g:afQAAOSwJcZWgne6&vxp=mtr

These come in branded as Brembo, they're not slotted, just cross drilled. I usually use them for one season and throw them out.
Thanks guys, I've been using Raybestos rotors paired with HC+800 for Street/Track days and they've been lasting me about 6 Track days before I gotta toss them.
Dont know if I can trust Brakenetics since I've never heard of them before (Even tho you've been using them)
I'll see how the Brembo branded ones hold up next time.
Old 01-12-17, 03:26 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question for related brake work, my front brake is worn out to about 20% left. The front brake is shaking a little bit when I apply the brake at the red light. I've just ordered the stoptech sport pads to replace by this weekend. Do I have to resurface or rotor the brake disc or is it ok to just replace the brake pads? I hope the shaking problem will go away for new pads.

Last edited by ISF350; 01-12-17 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 03:51 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISF350
Question for related brake work, my front brake is worn out to about 20% left. The front brake is shaking a little bit when I apply the brake at the red light. I've just ordered the stoptech sport pads to replace by this weekend. Do I have to resurface or rotor the brake disc or is it ok to just replace the brake pads. I hope the shaking problem will go away for new pads.
You need to resurface your rotors.
The following users liked this post:
ISF350 (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 07:44 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bbong
You need to resurface your rotors.
I called few local shops. They said they can't do the rotor resurface for the slotted hole OEM rotor. They don't have the proper tool machine to do it. I know dealer can do w/o issue but cost more.
Old 01-12-17, 08:09 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF350
I called few local shops. They said they can't do the rotor resurface for the slotted hole OEM rotor. They don't have the proper tool machine to do it. I know dealer can do w/o issue but cost more.
You need to bed them in properly. That will be the most important factor for having them mate well with your rotors.
The following users liked this post:
ISF350 (01-13-17)

Quick Reply: Front Brake Systems