IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Brake Systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 10:21 AM
JMGISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Systems

I have taken my '12 IS F to the track a couple of times over the last twelve months and my front pads are not wearing evenly. The rotors have also developed grooves. Net, I need to put in new rotors and pads and have a couple of questions.

First is will I be ok with just changing the rotors and pads or should I be looking at a full system replace? Clearly the rotors have to go, but I am hoping that I do not have to go with the full system. The Brembo front brake system is running $4k+...

Second question is what brake systems do you recommend? I am looking for something that will provide at least as much stopping power as comes with the stock setup with the caveat that I have been running EBC yellows on the pads. These pads have worked great minus the issues that I am now having with wear patterns and grooves on the rotors. I suspect that I screwed up when I put the yellows on in the first place because I had the shop turn the rotors...

Anyways, two questions are do you think I am ok with just rotors and pads and what setup do you recommend for street & occasional track use?
Old 01-05-17, 11:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

OEM rotors and Project Mu HC+800 pads. Works great.
The following users liked this post:
21ce (01-05-17)
Old 01-05-17, 11:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Welcome to the site. Learn to use the Search Function, and you can learn much on this forum. There is lots of GREAT Information here. Really a Great site for ISF owners. I generally agree with the above poster, but not on the issue of rotors. The stock drilled rotors may develop cracks around the holes over time spent at the track. I recommend slotted rotors. The PM HC+800 pads, however, is a great choice. You may want to become better acquainted with the iSF braking system here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

Lou
Old 01-05-17, 12:44 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I agree with this....I have this set up, damn this pad grips like theres no tomorrow...initial bite is crazy, I can't wait to try it on the track, one thing I did notice though is that it has a lot of brake dust!!! kinda like oem...crazy bite!!!
Old 01-05-17, 02:18 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for bringing up a interesting post. I was starting to get bored. Although, like flowrider said, searching will give you lots more information , since this is a pretty common discussion. I use Winmax W3's and slotted 1-piece cheapish rotors . I have also used, carbotech XP12s on the ISF. On other cars I have used Hawk HP+, DTC60s, Blues, Porterfields and EBC yellows. EBC's are trash, burn them and don't look back. I recently went to road Atlanta with the W3's and new rotors, running in intermediate and advanced groups (to give you an idea of my speed and braking threshold). The W3's and most likely the W2's are great pads with a linear bite. The XP12s had more initial bite but where not as linear. The heat capacity on our system with either of these pads is most likely fine for most skill levels at a track day. The XP12's seemed to eat the rotors more than the W3's and the W3's are also better suited for street driving (noise goes away after a few miles of non-track driving). I don't consider dust a important factor on a track pad, so I can't comment on that. I use my drilled OEM rotors for street but I used slotted for track. OEM drilled work fine for track but the constant checking for crack length, severity and premature replacement intervals (based on cracks) got annoying , so i switched. Some people like 2-piece rotors, if you have that type of bank, go ahead, i've done it in the past. But if your on a budget, spend the extra cash on more track time and not fancy rotors.
Old 01-05-17, 02:31 PM
ihadboost
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the noise level on these pads like? I am gearing up to change all my pads out relatively soon and I've been eyeing the Project Mu's.
Old 01-05-17, 02:53 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ihadboost
What is the noise level on these pads like? I am gearing up to change all my pads out relatively soon and I've been eyeing the Project Mu's.
Once the HC+800 is properly bedded, they're pretty much noise free.. IMO, their only downside is lots of dust. I love 'em for track season!

I got 9K miles & 8 track days out of a set last year.

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 01-05-17 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 07:46 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

DBA 4000 slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads would work very nicely.

Don't go ceramic, they don't bite as well.

You can get the OEM stuff on eBay for a lot less than the dealership, just fyi.
Old 01-05-17, 08:02 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Amazon as well, you can get front oem rotors for ~250 shipped. then front pads should run you 200-ish. Expensive but really not all that terrible.
Old 01-05-17, 08:12 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushtape
Amazon as well, you can get front oem rotors for ~250 shipped. then front pads should run you 200-ish. Expensive but really not all that terrible.
That's a steal. Those dealerships must hate Amazon.
Old 01-05-17, 08:16 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a steal. Those dealerships must hate Amazon.
For reference: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O97PVE . Looks like they went up a little.
The following users liked this post:
nks979 (01-06-17)
Old 01-05-17, 11:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

DBA 4000 slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads would work very nicely.

Don't go ceramic, they don't bite as well.

I have these on my Supra. The Project Mu are head and shoulders better.
Old 01-06-17, 07:16 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

I have these on my Supra. The Project Mu are head and shoulders better.
This makes sense, HPS are pure street pads, great for street but possibly the same or worse than OEM for the track.

To the OP, Regarding hawk, the HP+ is a better hybrid street/track pad, although they can get noisy.
Old 01-06-17, 10:46 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow those rotors are cheap on amazon, thank for posting that link.
Old 01-06-17, 12:55 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

This is what I went with for my slotted pair.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-SET-BR...dVFb86&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Front Brake Systems