IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Easy Fixes for Small Issues (hopefully?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 04:50 AM
wrenca91
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Easy Fixes for Small Issues (hopefully?)

Hey guys, I have had my 08 USB ISF for over a year and a half now, and some of the smaller flaws/defects have started to annoy me. I was hoping some of you might know of easy fixes for these little issues (they may seem insignificant, but can you blame me for wanting my car to be perfect, regardless of its age?)

1. The gasket in the lower driver side corner of my windshield is deteriorated and pieces of it fall apart just from running your finger against it. Is that part easy to replace? or would I have to really take a lot of things apart? I will be providing pictures as soon as I get a chance to take some.

2. Sunroof seems to rattle a little when its fully open or slanted open, particularly when going over bumps (I know this is a pretty common issue and not a big deal, but I was hoping some of you had found a simple fix for this)

3. My drivers door, despite my best efforts to NEVER put any weight on it, seems to be mildly misaligned? it opens and closes without any issues, but when im driving (again, particularly when going over bumps) it makes some jostling noises.

4. My passenger side front window REALLY sounds like its struggling when I roll it up and down.

5. The cargo pass through hatch between the trunk and rear seats wont latch or stay closed... it just pops right back open... should I just replace this? or is there an easy way to fix it (aside from just taping it shut ... which i would rather not do)

6. Last time I washed my car, I noticed that my tail lights had a little bit of moisture in them and a dead spider or two in each of them... not sure how they got in there, but is it easy enough to get them out?

7. Not really sure how to describe this one... and there doesn't seem to be any real cause, or trigger for it (aside from, potentially, temperature changes causing things to expand/contract?). When I am driving and my car has been running for few minutes, sometimes I get a rather loud popping noise that seems to come from behind the dash. Its not from going over bumps or anything. It seems really randomly timed. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas what it could be? I am hoping when the lexus dealership finally calls me to come in for my takata airbag recall, they can fix this issue as well... but I wouldn't even know how to explain it to them, and due to its random nature, it would be hard for them to replicate.

Thanks for your time, guys. I greatly appreciate any advice/experiences you could provide.
Old 12-20-16, 06:21 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wrenca91
1. The gasket in the lower driver side corner of my windshield is deteriorated and pieces of it fall apart just from running your finger against it. Is that part easy to replace? or would I have to really take a lot of things apart? I will be providing pictures as soon as I get a chance to take some.
I think my car had an issue with the gasket not seating properly. I believe the gasket is one piece running up to the top corner of the windshield. The dealer replaced mine but while removing the old piece they broke most of the clips used to hold the gasket in place. I had mine done for free because I think they damaged it while doing some other warranty work. Not sure if they had to take anything substantial apart to replace the gasket.
Old 12-20-16, 06:43 AM
wrenca91
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, newgsman. I think mine is seating properly... just horribly deteriorated and literally crumbling to pieces (which is odd, because the passenger side looks fine). I am attaching a picture of what im talking about:
Attached Thumbnails Easy Fixes for Small Issues (hopefully?)-20161220_084647.jpg  
Old 12-20-16, 07:48 AM
virulosity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an issue where one of my rear doors would chime "open" when cornering aggressive in the opposite direction. I stuck an adhesive felt piece over the sensor to put extra pressure on it. If your door rattles, you could see where it's contacting and shim it out with something soft.
Old 12-22-16, 09:51 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the only issue I had with mine. This is normal wear and tear as it also depends on climate.

I bought mine from Lexus $45 ea if I remember correctly and had them installed when I bought a new windshield.
Old 12-22-16, 10:24 AM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrenca91
Thanks, newgsman. I think mine is seating properly... just horribly deteriorated and literally crumbling to pieces (which is odd, because the passenger side looks fine). I am attaching a picture of what im talking about:
The issues of that part are well known. See this thread for part numbers, removal and replacement.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...placement.html
Old 12-22-16, 11:24 AM
drifto
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

4. My passenger side front window REALLY sounds like its struggling when I roll it up and down.
I have this issue as well. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
Old 12-22-16, 02:04 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Slightly off topic but I there a way to protect the rubber around the windshield? Just got mine replaced, Ive heard aerospace 303 coud help with it? Cant really help with the rest of these isues as my car doesn't really have them, sorry OP
Old 12-22-16, 02:20 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by drifto
I have this issue as well. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
Spray the window tracks with wd40 or silicon spray see if that works.