IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Possible rodent problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 12:09 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible rodent problem

I haven't driven my car in about a week and last night was going to meet up with some friends and car went into limp mode.

Took it to Toyota down the street and code was for misfiring. Had them install a new AF sensor for my PPE header and then found out one of the injector plug wiring was damaged. Only thing I could think of was a rodent. It's cold here about 35F in Seattle.

So debating if I should just repair the wiring or should I spend $130hr and have Lexus diagnose it further to see if other parts of the wiring is damaged and they're unsure how long it would take.

I already filed an insurance claim in case I need a new engine bay wiring harness.

Does this looked chewed? There is black foam in the crevice of the engine.

Old 12-13-16, 01:18 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Yep, looks like it to me. I had a squirrel chew through all my ignition wires on my Infiniti & the damage looked similar. Did you notice anything else in the engine bay - papers, bags, anything that'd be used to build a "home?"
Old 12-13-16, 02:32 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Any droppings in there? They usually like to relax on the intake manifold; between the runners.
Old 12-13-16, 02:40 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Yep, looks like it to me. I had a squirrel chew through all my ignition wires on my Infiniti & the damage looked similar. Did you notice anything else in the engine bay - papers, bags, anything that'd be used to build a "home?"
There are a huge load of squirrels around my house too.

Nothing I have seen in the engine bay that shows they're building a home. No poop or nest but lots of debris.

Car is going to be towed to the dealership and an adjuster will be looking at the damage before they approve any work. I just don't want them to approve just fixing the 1 damaged injector wire and later it's more than 1 wire.

Guess I need to start cleaning out my garage and make room for the ISF.
Old 12-13-16, 03:55 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

That sux.. Yes, you definitely need to make room in your garage for the IS-F.. That's where it deserves to be parked anyway

I had a similar situation in my truck last winter. The engine had only been put back in a couple months prior (after a rebuild). It didn't take long for the critters to move in. Fortunately, I evicted them before any obvious damage was done.

-Mike

Old 12-13-16, 05:04 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Just parked up mine for the winter

Sorry to hear that the squirrel chewed your wires . I really hope it don't happen to mines. Sucks I don't have a garage. I just park it up in the driveway and put a cover on it, that I bought from another member and I used moth ***** in the engine and place them at certain places in the engine to keep the squirrels away , I hope it works lol I will be starting the car maybe twice a week and hope I don't run into any problems
Old 12-13-16, 06:13 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

I saw a video from my local news channel and a mechanic uses fabric softener sheets.

Car is towed and on it's way to the dealership. The crappy part is I'm leave for Europe tomorrow for a week too so hopefully it will be fixed once I come back.

Was hoping to buy an exhaust but guess I have to spend $1000 or less (hopefully) to get this fix
Old 12-13-16, 06:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Happens in brand new vehicles too. Read Post #5 here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-f-owner.html

Lou
Old 12-13-16, 06:29 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou
That is chilling and disgusting. I have a thing about infestations after getting bedbugs from a swine neighbor in 08 with a recurrence in late 09. Didn't think I'd ever get rid of them. Mammals are one thing but insects... forgetaboutit...
Old 12-13-16, 07:13 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou
DANG! I had something like that happened to me but on a 1984 Toyota Corolla SR5 with GTS conversion (AKA AE86). Drove it from from Victoria, Canada and a day or two later, there were hundreds of spiders hatched inside the car.
Old 12-13-16, 11:16 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your rodent issues. I had the same problem a few years back with my Supra. Really disheartening when you pop the hood to find this **** on top of your engine. And after cleaning it up they kept coming back. But after doing more research, what helped the most was Fabric Softener. I lined my entire engine bay with Fabric Softener and they never came back. But not sure if that works on squirrels. Good luck with your rodents.

Old 12-14-16, 08:05 AM
Kojak77
Driver

I spray wolf urine around the perimeter of my garage. It keeps all of the pests out.
Old 12-14-16, 08:59 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojak77
I spray wolf urine around the perimeter of my garage. It keeps all of the pests out.
Is that self harvested wolf urine?
The following users liked this post:
Kojak77 (12-15-16)
Old 12-14-16, 11:33 AM
kitsune
Pole Position

The dealership found another chewed wiring for now a total of two.

The repair air only came to $450~

Now I need a new radiator. Things keep on piling up for repair
Old 12-14-16, 11:58 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I had this happen to me too, but that was in my wife's '10 Forester that was parked outside, they didn't bite through any wirings but extruded soft material from the seats and made a nest in the trunk where spare wheel is. I setup conventional mouse traps with peanut butter and viola, overnight I had one caught and next day I got another one, removed the nest and I have not seen anymore occurrences. GL with getting them out.

Quick Reply: Possible rodent problem