IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What small things annoy you in your ISF

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 01:09 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 86 Posts

Dash/door panel rattle on the driver side, sun roof rattle, the area around the gear shifter feels cheap... I'd rather have a black leather/blue stitched boot, the 08 nav is useless, aux port location, ML sound is garbage, no leg room for people sitting in the back, even though its a sedan, E-LSD, ... there's more but then its just me being picky. I love the car and it gives me less problems than my wife's infinity.
Old 09-16-16, 08:44 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Love 99% of the things about this car! The 1% that annoys me slightly would be the amount of brake dust from the stock pads (that are new) and the brakes squealing (even though they are new). Keep hearing that Project Mu pads will fix both "issues" though....so they will be in my near future!

V.
Old 09-16-16, 11:32 PM
MrFunex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an awful lot to like and love about the ISF, but for general day-to-day driving, why does the gearbox INSIST on ramming itself into 1st at any speed under about 5mph. It makes crawling along in traffic a bit jerky as the car is constantly changing gear 1-2-3-2-1-2-3-1-2-3-1.

My old Mercedes SL (when in comfort mode) used to always start off in 2nd gear. Acceleration was effortless and a gearchange wasn't even needed if you floored it before about 65-70mph. Sport mode made the car always begin in 1st.

The Merc was also less willing to change gear when cruising on the motorway. Both cars have a 5.0 V8 and lots of torque. They should stay in top when accelerating from 70-80mph. The ISF seems to want to hold a gear until *Boom* - maximum attack mode!! - changes down from 8th to 6th or even 5th and you're sent rocketing beyond your intended speed!

These foibles can both be driven around though; more niggles than anything. I still love it!
Old 09-17-16, 03:44 AM
MrFunex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
1. I would say my biggest annoyance is having to hit "sport" everytime I get in the car vs like my old E92 M3 you could leave the car in sport permanently via the settings in the nav.
...as opposed to having to turn on automatic windscreen wipers every time in the BMW (well, we had to on my wife's old 325i). It's almost as if some of these features were added to the car, yet nobody actually drove the car afterwards to try them out! :-)
Old 09-17-16, 02:52 PM
jv12
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Love 99% of the things about this car! The 1% that annoys me slightly would be the amount of brake dust from the stock pads (that are new) and the brakes squealing (even though they are new). Keep hearing that Project Mu pads will fix both "issues" though....so they will be in my near future!

V.
I agree- the brakes! People are like you need new pads, rotors, blah.. blah..blah... and in my head I'm thinking... BUT they are BREMBOS! Don't you know...they SQUEAL like newborn PIGLETS!
Old 09-17-16, 05:47 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy4
I noticed a lot mentioning the backwards shift pattern for manual mode. In my experience, it seems like a ton of cars have this same pattern, more often than not. Not saying that it is right, but it seems to be the more common pattern in most manufacturers.
Originally Posted by Max16
Common because "not racecars"
Sequential transmissions are ALWAYS shifting ''back for upshift'' "front to downshift"
As "common sense" for "regular" people, the + is always on top of -
yeah it suppose to be down to shift up and up for downshift cause it goes with the g force of accel and decal. it sounds crazy but coming from the dct m3 to the isf i was shifting the car all jacked up for the first couple weeks lol. i was like this is backwards no wonder it so tough, i use the paddles more times than not but sometimes i like to use the actual shifter

Originally Posted by MrFunex
...as opposed to having to turn on automatic windscreen wipers every time in the BMW (well, we had to on my wife's old 325i). It's almost as if some of these features were added to the car, yet nobody actually drove the car afterwards to try them out! :-)
see it had to be like that one the regular 3 series cause on my old m3, it was like the auto on the lexus. but i didn't like how the wiper speed and off weren't clear cut so i hated that now that i think about it lol
Old 09-17-16, 06:09 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jv12
I agree- the brakes! People are like you need new pads, rotors, blah.. blah..blah... and in my head I'm thinking... BUT they are BREMBOS! Don't you know...they SQUEAL like newborn PIGLETS!
Lol, yea, definitely. Project Mu pads will be one of the first mods for me of 2017, lol.
Also, I have to add to the brakes squealing and the brake dust being annoyances... like someone mentioned before, the location/position of the aux and USB port😬😬😬!! Super frustrating!
But for a vehicle, that's a SUPER short list of things that "annoy" us👍

V.
Old 09-17-16, 06:20 PM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The track and the fact there under tired.

Old 09-17-16, 06:39 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Agreed 100% about the rims being too narrow.
Old 09-17-16, 08:11 PM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Agreed 100% about the rims being too narrow.
Yes sir wider track and more rubber equals more speed and better handling and braking.

Another peeve is why they waited till 2010 to put the Torsen LSD in this car should have been in it from day dot.

Its quite funny really they did very similar things to the Toyota Supra waited 2 years and gave it a decent brake package and only gave certain models of the mentioned the Torsen diff.

Head scratchers really.
Old 09-17-16, 08:26 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

What annoys me most is the amount of panties and phone numbers I have to clear off my car anytime it's parked in public.

But really, aside from a few things pointed out above I would have to say one of the daily 'irritations' that I have is having to push the 'text' button on my center console to get the song name to appear. I have one of the handful of ISFs that didn't come with a navigation screen so the center stack is old school.
Old 09-18-16, 08:05 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
What annoys me most is the amount of panties and phone numbers I have to clear off my car anytime it's parked in public.

Some minor things for me are:

1. Console shifter in manual mode.. I only use it when turning from a stop, but it would feel so much more natural to pull back for 2nd.
2. Manual mode can be kinda clunky at low speeds (2nd to 1st downshift especially)
3. Lexus' delicate paint
4. In auto, it's too eager to move up to 8th gear

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 09-18-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-20-16, 09:23 AM
DbestiZ1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jleonard71
I have a solution for that. I found an automated momentary switch that I was able to splice into the sport switch wiring, and now every time I start my car sport mode turns on automatically. And you can turn it off if you want by simply pushing the sport button again. I'll be posting a DIY write-up on what part to get and how to install it soon. Stay tuned!!
I need this in my life
Old 09-20-16, 02:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I failed to mention the pathetically narrow and anemic tire sizes they use stock. I was alarmed the first time I pulled a hard turn in the car and it under steered like an awd car. Just pathetic . My LS460 had more front end grip than the oem stock ISF

Also the stereo sucks donkey ***** . I'm am forever trying to turn up the bass only to find its maxed