IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The track bug bit a little too hard!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-16, 07:14 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The track bug bit a little too hard!

Hey everyone, so as some of you know I have an ISF that I put some money into this year for the purpose of track duty. I bought all the mods in my signature to have a ridiculously fun track car. I have done a few track events over the last few years with the F and I have done 4 already this year with the F. I destroyed a set of pilot super sports in 4 events this year.
Now this is kind of a family affair and my brother does all the track events with me too. He has an m3 and a gt500 that he played with. We had a serious discussion with one another after the last track event and we came to the conclusion that we have soo much fun doing track events, that we should seriously consider looking at race cars. Well the looking is over and we both purchased full blown Honda Civic race cars!

There was 2 civics for sale locally which are some of the fastest cars in our area. They had been for sale for about 5 years and no takers. My brother and I went in and scooped them both up for a crazy price!

Now I know you guys are thinking, you are now going to track a civic instead of your ISF, that is crazy! These Hondas actually run about 3-4 seconds a lap faster than our street cars!

If any of you are interested, here is the mod list.

B18c1 block with JE high comp pistons and carillo rods
B18a (non vtec head) ported and polished and crower cams and titanium retainers
Car runs on 110 octane
Type R transmission housing with straight cut gears (dog box), hydraulic release bearing and a tilton twin disc carbon fiber clutch.
Full cage and a fire suppression system
Completely gutted weighing 1800 pounds
3 sets of ultra light wheels
fuel cell
FJO fuel system and Electronics and all autometer gauges
Reverie carbon fiber steering wheel
Reverie carbon fiber intake manifold
Full race suspension
Integra front and rear brakes
All Lexan windows
Carbon fiber hood

And a lot more!

These are seriously built cars and should be a pile of fun!

I might even contemplate selling my Penske's, I don't know if there is a point in having such serious suspension when I have a full race car now!

And yes I am keeping my F, it just wont serve as track duty as often now.
Old 05-29-16, 07:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

IMO, you guys made the right decision. Again, IMO, my F is worth more to me than to use as a track car. It's just too much fun on the street. I would hate to do something foolish on the track and destroy it. Also the wear and tear. I intend to keep my F for a very long time.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU GUYS

Lou
Old 05-29-16, 07:25 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

Thanks and that was the same conclusion we came to. We said we are playing with our daily drivers which are 30 and 40,000 dollar cars. If I blow up a built motor in the civic, it will cost me a few thousand. If I blow up my isf it will cost me 10,000 + and my daily driver would be parked.

I as well plan on keeping my F for quite some time. I have owned lots of cars and to this day it is absolutely my favourite. I love everything about the F.
Old 05-29-16, 07:28 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations. Looks like fun & fast times ahead.

And Honda's r sweet handling / sounding / shifting, so much aftermarket support, yada yada. Great choice for a dedicated track machine.

And your bro's got one too.
Old 05-29-16, 07:49 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

Thanks Tas02. It should be a blast this year! My brothers car has pretty much the identical mod list. Both cars were built by the same guy and they were both built to compete with each other.

Here is a couple of pics of his.

<br > <br >

And my beautiful daily ISF....

<br > <br >

Last edited by Dnfwm; 05-29-16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-29-16, 07:57 PM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's awesome man, it's going to be a better racing experience for sure
Old 05-29-16, 08:14 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

That's great. I have built some serious drag racing honda civics/integras and let me tell you, those cars are not to be slept on. So easy to make big power with their motors. There is literally an aftermarket part for every inch of those cars. Good luck to you and drive safe.
Old 05-29-16, 08:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool !! Congrats to you guys !!

Im still gonna just keep tracking the F and maybe switch up the GSF in a few years rather than tracking the ISF and buying another LS460. One car that can do it all is what I want . Now I just have to wait the three years for the leases to end and for the used market to start seeing them
Old 05-29-16, 09:09 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great idea daily car and race car.
Old 05-29-16, 09:50 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Totally agree with Lou here. Im considering s2k, brz for track event even miatas, but they have to be modified just like those Hondas...awesome choices and fun at the track..
Old 05-30-16, 06:48 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

That's pretty cool! I'd love to have a dedicated track car, but I'd need a bigger garage.. A two-car doesn't cut it.. We get wintry weather so my wife needs a space, and there's no way my IS-F isn't getting a garage space too!

-Mike
Old 05-30-16, 09:57 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Both LSVTEC set ups? God, I miss my fully built NA GSR... such fun cheap cars to drive that you could rev to the moon in and spin the tires in third.

Congrats on the purchases!!! How much WHP is each car putting out? 225+ ish?
Old 05-30-16, 12:54 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

The owners of the cars said they were dyno'd at 215 wheel and they way 1800 pounds! They should be pretty quick. Also I don't know why they chose to build them the way they did but they used integra LS heads (non vtec). I am assuming they had specific reasoning for it, but I never asked. They told us the cars will rev to 11,000 rpm but if we wanted the motors to last us 4 or 5 years, we should drive them conservatively and shift at 9,000-9,500 rpms!
Old 05-31-16, 04:00 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

LMAO - Only time you will ever read something that says changing at 9-9.5K RPM is conservative!!

Looks like a whole heap of fun ahead for you guys.

Enjoy and make sure you keep us posted on how you get on.

Bet there will be a few red faced owners of very expensive machines left in the dust!