IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission fluid replacement at 50,000 miles after heavy track use

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 01:51 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tammer.. explain this shift .."Flare" you speak of? What does it do?
Old 06-26-16, 05:29 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had mine done @ 65k. I originally just asked them to top the fluid off. I was getting gear hang ups on the regular basis. Annoying, I was hoping this would fix it. He said it's full, they can't add any fluid.... I'd have to do the trans service. Came out to $225.

Along with this the SA had my ELF recall done even though I told him not to do it this weekend.
I got the ****ty tape and zip tie fix. Not feeling very confident about the tech who did the fluid swap now.
Old 06-26-16, 09:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
Tammer.. explain this shift .."Flare" you speak of? What does it do?
When the car ****ft to a higher gear you see the rpm jump a couple hundred to 500 rpm then it will drop.

Originally Posted by YotaLex
I just had mine done @ 65k. I originally just asked them to top the fluid off. I was getting gear hang ups on the regular basis. Annoying, I was hoping this would fix it. He said it's full, they can't add any fluid.... I'd have to do the trans service. Came out to $225.

Along with this the SA had my ELF recall done even though I told him not to do it this weekend.
I got the ****ty tape and zip tie fix. Not feeling very confident about the tech who did the fluid swap now.
Just mention the harness cover was broken and they will fix. I actually had them look at it before the work was done because I didn't want any bull****. My buddy had headers on his and they said he broke it when he did the header work. They still ended up doing it but with a fight. The tranny will feel better and the hangups will not come back. There still might be a little flare here and there but mine has calmed down a lot .
Old 06-27-16, 07:09 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought my car used with 30k miles and it has always had a little flare shifting into 3rd gear when cold. Once warm it does not do it. I always figured that was just one of the nuances of the car. I have 84k miles on the car right now and she keeps on running just fine. I will check the transmission fluid level in the coming months, but I do not expect it to be low.
Old 06-27-16, 09:58 AM
swoo350
Rookie

this is very insightful.. I get these flares in the morning too when going to work. I also noticed that it hangs in gears pretty long after left turns. I am at 75k miles.. maybe I need a flush?
Old 06-27-16, 10:12 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Hmm by flares do you guys me a throttle blip when it shifts?

My gears hang sometimes if I gas it and then let off, but I think that's the computer keeping it hanging so it's ready to go if I floor it again. Taking it out of sport mode solves this, I haven't ever noticed a blip.
The only time I hit the limiter in auto or it stays in gear too long is if I floor it on an on-ramp without the car fully warmed up. Bad, I know it should be warm before beating, but it's only happened once or twice.

I just talked with my SA for the upcoming 90k, he said tranny fluid swap isn't on the list (only 60k/120k). But, brake fluid flush is and just check all other levels.

I'll see if my tranny was done at 60k and then consider doing it at 90k.
Old 06-27-16, 12:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Flare - you step on the gas, the engine revs, but it feels like you are in neutral for a moment, then it catches and takes off.

Tammer - I suspect they did not do a full fluid change at that price. The fluid alone is $110 for a 12 quart case at Internet pricing. Gasket retail is not cheap either. I'd bet they drained the pan and cleaned it up, installed a new gasket and put the 3.4 quarts the service manual says you need in the pan. $550 sounds a lot more likely to have included the full 11.7 quarts the system holds.

Mine is holding gears after hard turns again, and it hasn't been that long.

Tammer - have you had the seals on the brake calipers replaced yet? You should be certain they get inspected. With the number of track miles you have, they should be pretty cooked by now.
Old 06-27-16, 12:37 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Thanks for the clarification lobux, sounds like maybe I should do the change too. Let me dig up my service records...
Old 06-28-16, 11:52 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Ok looks like I got quoted $103.14 for a diff flush and $318.11 for a tranny flush (including all new fluid, gasket, etc.)

Not bad, I'll probably just have it all done with my 90k instead of waiting till 100k.
Old 06-28-16, 12:20 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Oh no... Could you elaborate a bit? Also, what are your theories on this, I remember you were thrilled with your results once you topped off.
Old 06-28-16, 01:50 PM
Fsport416
Driver School Candidate

Got mine done at the 93k mark. So far I have noticed a good improvement. Shifts are smooth and the shift flare i was having is gone. Shifting in manual under half throttle used to be jerky but now its smooth. After thw service I took the car on a long drive to San Francisco did great and still feels good after the trip. I will be occasionally be checking for leaks though. But so far so good... Only time will tell.
Old 06-28-16, 05:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Flare - you step on the gas, the engine revs, but it feels like you are in neutral for a moment, then it catches and takes off.

Tammer - I suspect they did not do a full fluid change at that price. The fluid alone is $110 for a 12 quart case at Internet pricing. Gasket retail is not cheap either. I'd bet they drained the pan and cleaned it up, installed a new gasket and put the 3.4 quarts the service manual says you need in the pan. $550 sounds a lot more likely to have included the full 11.7 quarts the system holds.

Tammer - have you had the seals on the brake calipers replaced yet? You should be certain they get inspected. With the number of track miles you have, they should be pretty cooked by now.
Thanks , Lance. They swear they did the "12 quarts" . I even spoke to the SA, foreman ( who did the work ), and the manager. It's odd because it seems to have calmed down a bit. I have been leaving the house for days with the camera on the dash to see if I can catch it and have seen nothing in the last 4-5 days. Another F quirk.

Thanks for bringing up the caliper seals. I forgot to have them take a look last month when they did the new rotors and pads. I will bring this up next time. Good lookin out bud !! Thank you, Dr. F.