IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SPC Performance 67530 Adjustable Ball Joint installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 09:20 AM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPC Performance 67530 Adjustable Ball Joint installation

Need some help. Went to Grand Turismo East in Atlanta and they tried to adjust camber and said that I would need SPC Performance 67530 Adjustable Ball Joint. Has anyone installed these? I ordered it and I am having a hard time removing ball joint from upper control arm. It seems as if this is all one unit. Is this so? Will I need to order a separate control arm
Attached Thumbnails SPC Performance 67530 Adjustable Ball Joint installation-screenshot_2016-04-19-11-52-57.jpg   SPC Performance 67530 Adjustable Ball Joint installation-20160419_121428.jpg  

Last edited by AshyAnklez; 04-19-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-19-16, 10:40 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you try using a ball joint removal tool yet?
Old 04-19-16, 12:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Why are you adjusting camber?

You should remove the arm and press out the old ball joint in a press. The factory did not intend for the joint to be replaced, so it will not go easily.
Old 04-19-16, 01:22 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

You should remove the arm and press out the old ball joint in a press. The factory did not intend for the joint to be replaced, so it will not go easily.
Planning to track tomorrow and the guys here at the shop recommend that I get those adjustable ball joints...I lost the alignment paperwork....I gave up and now I am at the shop.
Old 04-19-16, 01:26 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Yep. I got the cheap one from Harbor Freight and a loaner from Autozone....I swore never to have someone touch my car. Since track day is tomorrow and I ripped the upper ball joint boot I must surrender to the pros.
Old 04-19-16, 01:29 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Have you been to Gran Turismo East? The owner is a race instructor for Chin motorsports and was told to come here by word of mouth I figured he knew what he was talking about
Old 04-19-16, 05:02 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I JUST changed mine on the weekend.

Just to verify did you remove the C clip? if this is not out you will never get the ball joint out.
This is also sometimes a challenge - I had to use a flat head screw driver to give it some gap.

You have to have the ball joint removal C clamp style unit with PROPER adapters.
If you get the proper adapters it will come out easily. It did take me a while with previous adapters that were for Honda as specified on SPC website and it pushes on the part below the ball joint which causes it to bend and want to wonder. I however managed to get both out this method.

I think if you have a e.g. 30+ mm long size socket this "may" work.

Be careful when you press in the new "slider" style adapter - make sure it looks aligned - do not think you could rotate this once it is pressed it because you cannot!
Old 04-19-16, 05:03 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh ya, watch the SPC video - it is essentially identical to the process to remove this ...
Old 04-19-16, 07:00 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AshyAnklez
Have you been to Gran Turismo East? The owner is a race instructor for Chin motorsports and was told to come here by word of mouth I figured he knew what he was talking about
Man, I used to track with Chin during my days at Mid-Ohio, great group and lots of run time, that last run session where everyone goes out for an hour is awesome. Anyways, I'm with Lance here, I really think jumping to camber adjustments doesn't seem necessary for your sitch without understanding the temps across the tire and getting optimal pressures adjusted first is a recipe for disaster on a street driven vehicle. If you have no choice I understand tho, you just need to press them out. Generally though, camber is usually the next step after you have switch to stickier tires (Max performance or R-comp) and your dynamic gain is excessive with the additional grip.
Old 04-20-16, 12:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes, I have been there and had them do my F and my Supra.
Old 04-20-16, 05:58 PM
blckbrd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had GTE install my SPC ball joints.
I had it done to gain positive camber due to me lowering the car.
As far as track setups for our platform, I would listen to lobux and piston on this one.
I look forward to meeting you this F'ing Saturday!
Old 04-20-16, 09:31 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Man, I used to track with Chin during my days at Mid-Ohio, great group and lots of run time, that last run session where everyone goes out for an hour is awesome. Anyways, I'm with Lance here, I really think jumping to camber adjustments doesn't seem necessary for your sitch without understanding the temps across the tire and getting optimal pressures adjusted first is a recipe for disaster on a street driven vehicle. If you have no choice I understand tho, you just need to press them out. Generally though, camber is usually the next step after you have switch to stickier tires (Max performance or R-comp) and your dynamic gain is excessive with the additional grip.
Wow I gave up trying to remove ball joints and went to GTE to have them install SPC. For anyone out there trying to do this remove upper arm and use a press. Are pilots considered max performance? Car felt better to me (daily driving) with USRS. The GTE guys recommended that I set my camber. I guess that is what happens when you are ignorant. My first track day in the F went well with the SPC, USRS and PSS at AMP. Car felt pretty good

Old 04-20-16, 09:33 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by blckbrd
I had GTE install my SPC ball joints.
I had it done to gain positive camber due to me lowering the car.
As far as track setups for our platform, I would listen to lobux and piston on this one.
I look forward to meeting you this F'ing Saturday!
See you Sat!!
Old 04-21-16, 02:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Wow I gave up trying to remove ball joints and went to GTE to have them install SPC. For anyone out there trying to do this remove upper arm and use a press. Are pilots considered max performance? Car felt better to me (daily driving) with USRS. The GTE guys recommended that I set my camber. I guess that is what happens when you are ignorant. My first track day in the F went well with the SPC, USRS and PSS at AMP. Car felt pretty good.
You could have fixed everything with just centering the subframe. Plenty of 2IS were delivered with a camber imbalance from side to side because the subframe needed to be moved. It would also have balanced out the caster probably to dead on the money side to side. Ouch. Lotta work for something that could have been simple.
Old 04-21-16, 03:59 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

You could have fixed everything with just centering the subframe. Plenty of 2IS were delivered with a camber imbalance from side to side because the subframe needed to be moved. It would also have balanced out the caster probably to dead on the money side to side. Ouch. Lotta work for something that could have been simple.
Weird..Nalley should have caught that when I originally brought it in for the first alignment...

Quick Reply: SPC Performance 67530 Adjustable Ball Joint installation