IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

VSC Check Engine Light - PPE Headers: O2 Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 02:41 PM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC Check Engine Light - PPE Headers: O2 Sensor?

Hey guys,

I have searched and I believe the O2 sensor just went bad. Headers have about 24K miles on them and the VSC engine light just came on.

Code is P0137... I assume the O2 simulator is working fine (has been for the last 2 years) but the O2 apparently went bad... Or could it be an exhaust leak?

TIA
Pololo
Old 11-13-15, 04:23 PM
sonicblu
Driver School Candidate

The first time it happened I was on the hwy doing like 50mph with the sport mode on and the traction control off. I was doing like 50mph when I opened the car up WOT the car just died on me ! I was like **** I blew the motor ! The VSC light came on,I had to pull over on the shoulder and the car did not want to turn on after a few attempts it did but with the VSC light was still on and it was on limp mode. I disconnected the battery and the VSC went away and did show its ugly face again till a few weeks later when the car did not want to turn on one morning on my way to work at all. I finally did the car diagnostic test and it stated that my DRIVER INJECTOR was bad I called the dealership and the part alone was over $1000 without labor. I found the part on eBay for $215 shipped next day thanks to TLS I got my baby up and running again.I have gutted cats with sikky Sim never had a problem with and been driving wit it for like 20k

Last edited by sonicblu; 11-17-15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-13-15, 05:18 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PololoISF
Hey guys,

I have searched and I believe the O2 sensor just went bad. Headers have about 24K miles on them and the VSC engine light just came on.

Code is P0137... I assume the O2 simulator is working fine (has been for the last 2 years) but the O2 apparently went bad... Or could it be an exhaust leak?

TIA
Pololo
I have the same problem with mine. My check engine light and trac off light has been on since about a month after I put the headers and new 02's in. Took it to Autozone and had it put on the code diagnostic and they said either exhaust leak or bad O2 sensor
Old 11-13-15, 05:26 PM
toyer14
Rookie

Originally Posted by sonicblu
The first time it happened I was on the hwy doing like 50mph with the sport mode on and the traction control off. I was doing like 50mph when I opened the car up WOT the car just died on me ! I was like **** I blew the motor ! The VSC light came on,I had to pull over on the shoulder and the car did not want to turn on after a few attempts it did but with the VSC light was still on and it was on limp mode. I disconnected the battery and the VSC went away and did show its ugly face again till a few weeks later when the car did not want to turn on one morning on my way to work at all. I finally did the car diagnostic test and it stated that my DRIVER INJECTOR was bad I called the dealership and the part alone was over $1000 without labor. I found the part on eBay for $215 shipped next day thanks to TLS I got my baby up and running again.I have gutted cats with silky Sim never had a problem with and been driving wit it for like 20k

I was considering doing the same thing gutted cats and 02 sims,how reliable is this setup and did u see a big difference in performance?
Old 11-13-15, 05:31 PM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have the PPE headers about 4 months now. I get a code for the O2 sensor as well. I am going to be putting in a spark plug de-fouler. I will keep you guys updated.
Old 11-13-15, 05:36 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toyer14
I was considering doing the same thing gutted cats and 02 sims,how reliable is this setup and did u see a big difference in performance?
I think it sounds a lot better, more raw and deep, but noticed the biggest difference going from stock exhaust to JoeZ in terms of performance!
Old 11-13-15, 05:44 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmt1011
I also have the PPE headers about 4 months now. I get a code for the O2 sensor as well. I am going to be putting in a spark plug de-fouler. I will keep you guys updated.
This was previously done by other members. It won't work. You need to get your O2 simulator checked.
Old 11-15-15, 09:46 AM
sonicblu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyer14
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8952174
Yea you will hear and feel the power gain once you do this. I never got a CEL code with this set up
Old 11-15-15, 03:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by JdSwiper
I think it sounds a lot better, more raw and deep, but noticed the biggest difference going from stock exhaust to JoeZ in terms of performance!
You pretty much nailed it..!!

Joe Z
Old 11-16-15, 08:22 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

I have the same issue as well my Light when on then I replaced my O2 sensor but my light still came on afterwards. So I contacted Paul from PPE and he mailed me a new conditioner. We will see how that goes.
Old 11-16-15, 08:34 AM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up my car from the dealer today. They replaced the O2 sensor and I hope everything is good now. I did ask how they knew the O2 sensor was bad and they said they did a voltage test along with a wave form test and the O2 sensor was reading low voltage levels all the time.. They have seen this happen before with other cars...

I hope this fixes it... If not, I may need to give PPE a call and ask for a new O2 conditioner. If I would have known that this "upgrade" was going to cause so much headache, I would have passed on getting this car with these upgrades...

At this time, I wish I could remove the headers and go back to stock but it's a hassle and so damn $$$ just labor that I may end up living with this...

Pololo
Old 11-16-15, 09:05 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^So Sorry for your pain! But, there are those of use you are running PPE headers and a third party exhaust with no issues. I have the PPE exhaust. My installation is now more than four years old, and I have never had a CEL. When installed properly, IMO, things work as they should.

But, for those of you with any issues give Paul a call, he is a GREAT GUY, and always willing to help

Lou
Old 11-16-15, 09:29 AM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^So Sorry for your pain! But, there are those of use you are running PPE headers and a third party exhaust with no issues. I have the PPE exhaust. My installation is now more than four years old, and I have never had a CEL. When installed properly, IMO, things work as they should.

But, for those of you with any issues give Paul a call, he is a GREAT GUY, and always willing to help

Lou
Thanks Lou,

As always, you are very helpful. I'll see what happens...

Hopefully I don't get this CEL anymore. According to the previous owner, he "never had" an issue with this... and as I am researching more and more I don't believe it anymore... I am getting my car sorted the way I want it... "perfect"!! Kind of OCD when it comes to my car...

This is not the first car I've had that has aftermarket exhausts, headers, etc... Been there, Done that. In fact, ALL my cars, as soon as I get them (used or new) go through a series of aftermarket upgrades suited for me...

Keeping my fingers crossed.
P.
Old 11-16-15, 10:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by PololoISF
I am getting my car sorted the way I want it... "perfect"!! Kind of OCD when it comes to my car...
P.
Aren't we all

Lou