IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 06:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!

Well I guess I got out of my baby mode pretty quick. Was going to let this track day pass but registered last minute. 9th track day with my F in 18 months and what a great time !! The ambient temps never got over 75 degrees and the sun was shining. Got some great video with the new wheel and tire set up and OH MAN !!!!! This ISFing thing sticks. I think initially I was not going into corners fast enough until I realized that I had way more grip. The car holds so much better , doesn't make a sound unless really over driven, and my corner exit and back straight speeds are higher. I compared my old video to my new video and its amazing at how little the car over steers now , if ever, and the car doesn't squeal with these new AD08Rs. I found myself being tossed side to side on this short and more technical course. The tires hold so well I almost feel like the seats cant hold me in place anymore. Pretty wild. I know I am comparing oem size Michelin PSS to a meaty 255/295 on a more track focused tire but WOW!!!! What I did notice is that these tires are STOOOPID soft when they are hot. They stick like gum but I have never seen so much surface hot tire pickup and the treads looks pretty beat down after a couple of sessions in moderate temps. Bottom line is if you want the AD08R don't expect them to last as long as the PSS but they stick !!!!

On a side note , other than just the grip what I like is how smooth the car feels with these . The difference in road feel is impreceivable once the temps were set to oem setting. ( Tech had them at 40 psi initially when I said they were stiff)I have a feeling they will get a little noisier as they age but with the exhaust I don't mind.

The F got a lot of attention at the track today. Many people approached to compliment, ask questions, or just take a closer look. I met a really cool group of younger kids ( 20s) that had Miatas and an IS300 and they were HUGE fans of the car. The track photographer I hired was supposed to run in the same group and even sat out a session just to shoot pics of the car. That was very cool ( I will be tipping him big time for that ). All in all it was a great day and a great run

HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOY THE VIDEOS !

NOTE : This session was cancelled half way through due to a vehicle fire and clean up on a 300ZX

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-05-15 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-31-15, 06:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Some pics from today
Attached Thumbnails Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo4294966850.jpg   Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo212.jpg   Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo4294967199.jpg   Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo4294966424.jpg   Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo153.jpg  

Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo4294966382.jpg   Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo4294967114.jpg  
Old 10-31-15, 07:01 PM
ISDAS
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

great vids, enjoyed when you finally had enough and yelled out in pt2.. haha.
Old 10-31-15, 08:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

haha Sorry about that . They were just bunching up for no reason .
Old 10-31-15, 08:20 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice videos! The Advan's should make a noticeable difference in your lap times compared to the PSS's and they should handle the heat a little better too (before getting greasy). How's the road manners now? I really wanted to get the AD08R's but I was concerned about road noise from the crazy tread pattern. Ended up with RE11's instead, sacrifice some ultimate grip for better road manners I suppose.
Keep it coming man, love seeing other Lexus owners doing track events! I did 11 trackdays with my 3IS this year
Old 10-31-15, 08:23 PM
Jaysmith2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome videos! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-01-15, 02:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
Nice videos! The Advan's should make a noticeable difference in your lap times compared to the PSS's and they should handle the heat a little better too (before getting greasy). How's the road manners now? I really wanted to get the AD08R's but I was concerned about road noise from the crazy tread pattern. Ended up with RE11's instead, sacrifice some ultimate grip for better road manners I suppose.
Keep it coming man, love seeing other Lexus owners doing track events! I did 11 trackdays with my 3IS this year
Thanks ! The car held amazingly well and I think my lines are getting pretty damn solid. I havent tried any other tire in this size yet but have to say that they are smooth but I also think they will get a little louder. I think the RE11 is a great choice but its only available in the 305/30/19 for the HUGE sizes and I didn't want to push the envelope when I knew I could already likely have clearance issues. What I like about the AD08R is that if the section width is 11.7" , the tread is 11.6 of them , whereas with most street tires you are not getting as much tread width out of the tires section width. This makes for a wide tire with tremendous grip. Im sure the PSS and RE11 are not bad but nothing I looked up has such a wide tread section relative to the full section width of the tire. This makes these things look like blocks from the back. Squarest tire I have ever seen

Originally Posted by Jaysmith2k
Awesome videos! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, man . We had some great cars to run with and everyone, other than the Ferrari was moving pretty damn good. I was blown away by the mini cooper S and FRS, especially the mini. That damn car was even with me down the straight until about the braking zone and by then I couldn't pass safely anyway. Damn impressive. Also got to play with a yellow C6 Z06 and DAMN !!! That thing would pull on the straight. I really enjoyed myself .

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-01-15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-01-15, 03:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I looked at my fastest lap times on this track ( I have a little book I log dates, tire pressures, and best lap times once I look at the video later ) and the new set up shaved 2.3 seconds off my best lap time . I would attribute this to more grip entering and exiting the turns therefore allowing for more speed on the straights. I think I might be able to push that up by .5 seconds if I push a little harder. Since the weather was so good the field was full of driver who wanted to taste the track after out 5 month summer , I still had a bit more traffic ( although we were relatively close )

Waiting for my track photos from the photographer. Super excited to add some more shots to the garage gallery

PS

Have to say , one more time, that I am so impressed and blown away not only buy the performance of the F but also the duality of this car. I killed it on the track yesterday and ran her hard , brought her home for a good detailing, and took the family out to see the new Peter Pan movie this afternoon and lunch out this afternoon. Its a commuter, track car, and family car. We are all so lucky to have these cars . Some realize it more than others but we are lucky .

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-02-15 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-02-15, 02:04 PM
myspec15
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the new wheels
Old 11-02-15, 04:01 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better get used to the Miatas and FRS/BRZ's! They carry so much corner speed they're even hard to get around on the straights sometimes. I'd like to take one out on the track as I'd imagine they're a blast to drive, little and nibble with great steering. Two of my friends track Miatas here in the Midwest.

Dropping 2 seconds is great, I wouldn't be surprised if most of that was due to the tires too. 08R's are one of the top tier street tires out there with the RE71R's, DZII, and RS3s.
Old 11-02-15, 05:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by myspec15
I like the new wheels

Thanks bud !

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
Better get used to the Miatas and FRS/BRZ's! They carry so much corner speed they're even hard to get around on the straights sometimes. I'd like to take one out on the track as I'd imagine they're a blast to drive, little and nibble with great steering. Two of my friends track Miatas here in the Midwest.

Dropping 2 seconds is great, I wouldn't be surprised if most of that was due to the tires too. 08R's are one of the top tier street tires out there with the RE71R's, DZII, and RS3s.
You arent lying. I have a little more respect for the FRS, BRZ, Miata, AND the new turbo minis. There was a mini that was pretty modified but it was 100% even with me on the back straight. There was a green boosted Miata that also blew my mind. With that light weight and good HP/weight ratio they fly. The F did very well and you are right about the AD08R, they stick like CRAZY !! I was very impressed with how sticky, quiet at the limit, and consistent they were throughout the day. Very very good tire. Only issues is when they get warm they are gummy soft. I can literally push the treads in with my fingers. They will not last but I didnt get them to last. I got them to stick and to try something new over the PSS. The PSS is amazing but its more of a street tire. When pushed it gets greasy but I am splitting hairs. I know the 255/295 combo with the PSS would be great too but they were not available and I wanted something a bit more track focused. Like the Tire Rack guys said " PSS is a street tire you can use on the track, the AD08R is a track tire you can use on the street.

Looking forward to track season now that the temps are cooler in AZ. I did the summer track addicts sessions and the car hates the high oil temps. Needed my fix but I might need to kill it in the winter while I can in AZ and give her a rest in the summer. Had to get my fix though I am hoping the tires will last until the season is over in June. I dont commute very far so Im saving these beauties for the track .

With all the added grip I am tempted to try out the front Sikky sway bar. The car feels neutral but can be induced to over steer with crazy steering inputs or to much throttle on a hair pin. With the added grip comes added roll. I want it a bit flatter but then again this last session was on our shortest and most technical course we have. Its like a fast autocross course as my instructor once told me .
Old 11-02-15, 10:52 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Sweet. I like the wheels.
Old 11-03-15, 01:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Washed up after track battles and headed to the movies and late lunch with the family .

Track car, family car, and commuter car. We can have our cake and eat it too
Attached Thumbnails Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo257.jpg   Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo211.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-03-15 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-03-15, 03:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Teaser pic from the track photographer !!

BADASS !! Leading a C5 Corvette Z06 through a Chicane !! Eewwww look how skinny his tires are
Attached Thumbnails Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!-photo4294967197.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-04-15 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 04:28 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Washed up after track battles and headed to the movies and late lunch with the family .

Track car, family car, and commuter car. We can have our cake and eat it too
Sienna and IS-F...good man!

Quick Reply: Wild Horse Pass West Track Day with the new 255/295 Yokohama AD08Rs and HRE wheels !!