IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone eyeing on the new Alfa Romeo Giulia as an ISF replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 08:04 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Its a fun thought, but now days very few cars are that unreliable, it is measured in 10ths of percent between cars with issues and those without. So you will most likely not pass many on the side of the road, more likely these will be somewhat of a unicorn that will rarely be seen in top spec. Now once they are 3-5 years old and on the used market, then we will see if they are reliable or not. Allot of hate for FCA products, I do have to say my Ram has been flawless for 3 years, but I only have 10 days left on the warranty so all hell could break loose at the end of January.
It is not as much "hate" for FCA as it is the reputation they have earned. Just as Lexus has earned their reliability reputation. There may be one measure that is in tenths of a point, but that is one out of hundreds. In others industry engineers and scientists, automotive journalists, owners, etc. currently and overwhelmingly pan FCA autos. Fiat was in the US previously and left due to dismal product failures. Based on a recent consumer publication, Lexus scored an 86 and Fiat a 17 (out of 100). Hardly a 0.1% difference. Closer to a 70% difference. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...nds-available/

Last edited by Helo58; 01-24-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 08:34 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clarkson made a good point with it - it has a Ferrari engine, granted smaller, in an italian sedan under $100k.

It looks good - better than most sedans...alright not 'better' but definitely bolder and will hopefully force the competition to get more risky.

The interior looks good. My single biggest complaint with our platform is the homely interior.

It has some character to it. Some insane exhaust on it and I bet it would sound life changing.

Would I want to buy one new? Eh, maybe not - but what I would do is be patient, wait a few years and see what happens with them. Maybe they'll have some early problems and catch a bad rap, then end up nicely depreciated and CPO'd.

That, and the F-Type coupe, are both on my list.
Old 01-24-17, 09:25 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by GarageB
Clarkson made a good point with it - it has a Ferrari engine, granted smaller, in an italian sedan under $100k.

It looks good - better than most sedans...alright not 'better' but definitely bolder and will hopefully force the competition to get more risky.

The interior looks good. My single biggest complaint with our platform is the homely interior.

It has some character to it. Some insane exhaust on it and I bet it would sound life changing.

Would I want to buy one new? Eh, maybe not - but what I would do is be patient, wait a few years and see what happens with them. Maybe they'll have some early problems and catch a bad rap, then end up nicely depreciated and CPO'd.

That, and the F-Type coupe, are both on my list.
Well said. The '17 F-Type SVR may be my next toy 2-3 years down the road depending on how things turn out with the LC-F and/or if they bring back the ISF in the next 2-4 years.
But back on this car, seems like a nice car, but for some reason, not feeling it whatsoever. Not "grabbing" me like the ISF did years ago.

V.
Old 01-24-17, 09:34 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

My first impression of the car seeing it in person the other day was that its much smaller than I expected. I'd say that the interior size resembles our cars which means not a lot of passenger room.
Old 01-25-17, 08:05 AM
Piciu
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a huge fun of how Alfa looks, but still I will test-drive it when spring comes...
Main reason is that you can have it with a stick and I'm missing it a lot. It also sounds good for a turbo.

Many people here are bringing unreliability as main argument 'against'. The fact is that Alfa improved a lot recently. I know couple of guys who owned Alfa GT and they were really happy. And, service cost is waaay cheaper than Lexus, at least in Europe. Anyway, the best is to wait a bit and to see.
Old 01-25-17, 09:08 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

^^^^^ You are so lucky getting a choice of manual tranny. USA gets only automatic.
Old 01-29-17, 11:07 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

It's a hard car to ignore spec wise and even Alfa seems to avoid its front fascia in the videos. The Stelvio gets an equal butter face rating, but I am sure the front grill could be modded. After all are we not all creative in looking past the car that is there to the car we all seek.

USA auto tranny would kill it IMO, gotta be a stick to enjoy that boosted power delivery.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 02-01-17, 03:09 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A review vid dy Doug DeMuro that he uploaded last night.

I like the car too. But the price, not so much.
Old 02-01-17, 05:47 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

That dude has an extremely punchable face. Can't stand listening to him talk, or seeing his redundant hand gestures.
Old 02-01-17, 08:29 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
That dude has an extremely punchable face. Can't stand listening to him talk, or seeing his redundant hand gestures.
I definitely see where you're coming from, lol😂.
Pretty good review though.

V.
Old 02-01-17, 08:46 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm baffled at how many views and subscribers Doug DeMuro has??!! I don't get his appeal with all the quality reviewers on Youtube
Old 02-01-17, 01:00 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every review of the manual option say that it sucks and the Auto actually compliments the car much better. I honestly dig this car. But i'm not jumping in until we see if the initial reliability is good or if it's still got Italian DNA.
Old 02-01-17, 01:06 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I'm baffled at how many views and subscribers Doug DeMuro has??!! I don't get his appeal with all the quality reviewers on Youtube
I'm actually subscribed to his channel. I wouldn't call his videos reviews, as his videos are always light-hearted and focused on the things you wouldn't have seen in a standard review. It's interesting seeing the idiosyncrasies of some of the cars he's "reviewed". If you want a straightforward review on performance, comfort, etc, there are plenty other channels on the tube.
Old 02-02-17, 07:26 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

The Alfa won a recent C&D comparison test against the M3, C63 and ATS-V. Coincidentally, they managed to put the car in limp mode while trying to use the remote start feature - they did this twice! Electronic gremlins are still alive and well..

Last edited by Vervish; 02-02-17 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 07:34 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Meh, I'd say for a street car and performer the C63s is hard to beat. Just an animal of a car. It beat out that trash can on wheels Hellcat even for best sedan on the Esquire network's car challenge because of how much more well rounded it was.

This appears to be a precision built sedan which is pretty sweet, but like they kept saying on the Grand Tour, Alpha hasn't made a good car in decades so they have to prove themselves first haha.

Quick Reply: Anyone eyeing on the new Alfa Romeo Giulia as an ISF replacement?