IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

For those of you who store their F's over winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 04:22 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default For those of you who store their F's over winter

Those of you in the northern states and Canada who store their F's in the garage, do you guys just park it and forget about it for the winter, or is it better to jack it up and have it sit on jack stands, so it doesn't sit on the tires and suspension.
Share your thoughts and ideas!
Old 09-09-15, 05:19 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I leave it in the garage all winter. I will start it up every 2 weeks and roll it back and fourth a few times in reverse. Once warm, I will rev the RPM's to a few thousand for a few minutes to work the engine. I also put a gas preservative in a full tank to ensure I'm not using some stale fuel at the end of winter.

Southern Alberta here, the car sits from October to April. If the snow melts, I will try to get it out for a small cruise if possible as well but avoid major roads with speed because of all the rocks on the road from sanding the snow.
Old 09-09-15, 05:22 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just throw a battery tender on it and maybe start the car every few weeks. If the roads are clear I'll take it for a spin
Old 09-09-15, 06:21 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Im fortunate enough to have an underground parking garage, so ill start it up every two weeks and drive it around the garage. I also fill up the gas tank and put fuel stabilizer in it. I over inflate my tires to try and prevent flat spots and lastly, i park it on a tarp to try and prevent moisture that might come up through the concrete.
-R
Old 09-09-15, 06:24 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Do any of you guys get your car oil sprayed or under coated even though its not being driven through the harsh elements?
I want to make sure that rust never appears on the body, well not for a longggggg time at least..
Old 09-09-15, 06:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Try the search feature, instant answers no waiting

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ghlight=winter
Old 09-09-15, 06:26 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

No, the first hint of bad weather and a car cover goes over top for the winter. The car is just no good in our harsh winter. I drive a Nissan Titan in the winter.
Old 09-09-15, 06:28 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I put a battery tender on it, replace the tires with an old set of rims and tires, fill the fuel tank full and start it once a month and let it run for a little while. I will drive it when the roads are dry around my block to keep the brakes from seizing.
Going on my 5th winter of storage.
I find fuel stabilizer unnecessary, due to our high quality of fuel in Canada.

Digger08
Old 09-09-15, 07:42 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I leave it there, start up 5 min every 2-3 weeks. Never thought of flat spot on tires, I don't even know if that's a myth or not.
Old 09-09-15, 07:45 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by v8sedan
I leave it there, start up 5 min every 2-3 weeks. Never thought of flat spot on tires, I don't even know if that's a myth or not.
I'm pretty sure that's not so true anymore...not with today's tire/rubber technology, maybe back a few decades ago flat spots would develop.

Also an issue i see with just starting it up for a few minutes at a time is that the water condensation from the exhaust will not heat up enough to escape and once you shut the car off, it will just sit there, and eventually rust, am i correct on this? Perhaps if you let it warm up fully to operating temp and then like others have mentioned give it a few revs you will see all this water vapor flying from the exhaust.
Old 09-09-15, 09:55 PM
BJM2014
Pit Crew

Feel bad for you Alberta boys, I drive ISF all winter in Vancouver, yes we get the rain but rarely snow....if we do get some I park for a 1-2 days until the snow melts down the drain...
Old 09-10-15, 07:13 AM
Kojak77
Driver

As long as there's no snow on the roads, or tons of salt, I try to drive it a few hundred miles a month during the winter.

Last year, I pretty much parked it in January and only had the option to drive it once or twice until April.
Old 09-10-15, 07:19 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

I was just about to post about this.

I was thinking of jack stands / swapping tires as well. I have leftover Kumhos since I put PSS' on this year. I was thinking of getting the cheapest of cheap storage rims ever. If anyone has any ideas on a real cheap set, please let me know. Regardless I'll be conducting a search.

I love the idea of jack stands as I'd love to re-detail my calipers and paint my rotors during the winter. Course, I could go with just removing one rim at a time, but I'd love to hear from someone who HAS used jack stands.
Old 09-10-15, 12:51 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFLexy
I'm pretty sure that's not so true anymore...not with today's tire/rubber technology, maybe back a few decades ago flat spots would develop.

Also an issue i see with just starting it up for a few minutes at a time is that the water condensation from the exhaust will not heat up enough to escape and once you shut the car off, it will just sit there, and eventually rust, am i correct on this? Perhaps if you let it warm up fully to operating temp and then like others have mentioned give it a few revs you will see all this water vapor flying from the exhaust.
Galvanized exhaust I think, no worry
Old 09-10-15, 12:53 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

High(er) elevation PA here. I drive it in the winter, it is actually an amazing vehicle to be driven in the winter, the nannys wont let the car do anything crazy and if you put the "Snow" button on, it'll grab you like your Nanna.

No sure why people say they're bad cars in the winter, they're like any RWD car, but ours have more technological magic to make it safer, adding some good winter rubber and it's really good in the winter. It sure isn't 4x4 or AWD , but being in PA mountains, I have no trouble getting around with it.

If you're going to store it, the above comments make sense:
* Tender
* Start every couple weeks
* Drive once in awhile (not used doesn't mean wear has stopped for some parts and may be a surprise once finally driven)

Quick Reply: For those of you who store their F's over winter