Some NASA HPDE videos from Lime Rock Park, CT 2015-07-03

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-15, 10:35 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Some NASA HPDE videos from Lime Rock Park, CT 2015-07-03

Hey,

Figured I'd post some videos of my second Lime Rock experience. I'm not the best driver, my lines are still crap, my entry speeds are too high, but am working on it. Critique welcomed

Car: 2011 Lexus ISF
Mods: Square Setup 265 Nitto NT05's + maybe driver too? :P Enjoy

Oh and this is with Group 2 (DE2)

Last edited by bbong; 07-04-15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-05-15, 12:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

VERY COOL !! Great driving Bbong. Your lines were solid and the track looked very nice. Man out tracks are always out in the desert with just dirt on the sides of the track. Looks beautiful with the grass and the huge trees in the background.
Old 07-05-15, 06:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

You look impatient with turn in at turn 1. At about 16:50 in the first video you get the entry right, and your drive out of turn 2 (the end of Big Bend) is way better. The first few laps you are pinching off at track out on turn 2 to avoid the gator strip. By the end of the first session, you were doing a whole lot better, but in session 2, you were back to early turn in.

Just curious about the uphill section - you were light on the throttle going through there - does the car get super light over the crest?

Thanks for posting, your driving is consistent. One idea - when someone passes you, try their lines for a lap if you can and see what it is they are doing that works better for them. Sometimes it will makes sense for you and your driving, or it may give you options you'd hadn't considered in case you need to get around someone/something in a session.
Old 07-05-15, 07:35 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
VERY COOL !! Great driving Bbong. Your lines were solid and the track looked very nice. Man out tracks are always out in the desert with just dirt on the sides of the track. Looks beautiful with the grass and the huge trees in the background.
Yes, Lime Rock, my second time out there, is truly beautiful, though not a long track only 1.53miles it is technical and spectacular

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You look impatient with turn in at turn 1. At about 16:50 in the first video you get the entry right, and your drive out of turn 2 (the end of Big Bend) is way better. The first few laps you are pinching off at track out on turn 2 to avoid the gator strip. By the end of the first session, you were doing a whole lot better, but in session 2, you were back to early turn in.

Just curious about the uphill section - you were light on the throttle going through there - does the car get super light over the crest?

Thanks for posting, your driving is consistent. One idea - when someone passes you, try their lines for a lap if you can and see what it is they are doing that works better for them. Sometimes it will makes sense for you and your driving, or it may give you options you'd hadn't considered in case you need to get around someone/something in a session.
The big bend is where I came off black top with all 4 in my first car (450whp STI), it was my first track day, I think up to now it became my nemesis and then I realized that power is nothing if driver mod suck.

Uphill many times I was in the wrong gear, this is my 3rd time on the track in RWD + Paddle Shifters, before that was Evo, STI and heel + toe. Getting used to this car slowly....

I will take on the idea of following someone that is faster and take their lines, thanks!
Old 07-05-15, 08:50 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

very nice, I always wonder how the square set up better than staggered. but like what everyone said, car ain't nothing without the drivers mod. thanks for sharing!
Old 07-06-15, 09:13 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chris07is
very nice, I always wonder how the square set up better than staggered. but like what everyone said, car ain't nothing without the drivers mod. thanks for sharing!
I only drive around town in staggered setup. The fat tires in front add resistance to steering by a good bit and when you turn into Sport mode, it's like almost no power steering.

Reason why I went with squared is mostly for easier tire-rotation, never ran this car in staggered setup on the track so I'm curious to see how much different the feeling is.
Old 07-06-15, 11:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Once I went to the F sport rear bar ALL of the under steer at the track stopped . It did induce very slight tendency to over steer if pushed hard on an early corner exit. The rear will want to slide slightly
Old 07-06-15, 02:16 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Once I went to the F sport rear bar ALL of the under steer at the track stopped . It did induce very slight tendency to over steer if pushed hard on an early corner exit. The rear will want to slide slightly
I don't really have that much complaint about understeer, maybe the fatter tires in front help that?
Old 07-06-15, 10:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

To be honest I have been very happy with the PSS and havent had any traction issues on the track even with stock sizes. I tried the wider 245/285 combo back int he day and it felt like my rears were flat . I will not be doing that in the future. Never tried a 275 on the rear oem wheels but if the 285 felt that bad not sure that the 275 will feel much better to me. I just felt like it made the car lose that crisp response and dull the way it would grip and transfer the weight . I LOVE the PSS but I hate the way they wear. I have had my tires for 2k miles and only 1 track day (only 2 15 min sessions) and I feel like the rears are down 30-35%. Im sure the AZ heat and the sustained triple digit runs on the open desert highways do not help , but come on. I am thinking maybe to try the RE11 next round. LMAO I get tires twice a year almost. Think it might be time to invest in some track wheels and track tires
Old 07-08-15, 02:06 PM
justinco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff and great looking track!

Maybe I missed it, but what wheels are you running 265 square setup on?

I am almost in the market for some new tires, maybe new wheels too for autocross/track. But, I have to retain stock wheel width and +/- 1" on diameter for my autocross classing.
Old 07-09-15, 11:19 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justinco
Good stuff and great looking track!

Maybe I missed it, but what wheels are you running 265 square setup on?

I am almost in the market for some new tires, maybe new wheels too for autocross/track. But, I have to retain stock wheel width and +/- 1" on diameter for my autocross classing.
I'm running Enkei PF01's 9.5 w/ .+45 Offset and Nitto NT05's 265x18x35 tires.