IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just installed the Ultimate Steering Response System (USRS) from RR-Racing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 07:14 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I just finished installing mines on yesterday. Steering feedback and braking is definitely improved. It's alot easier if you have a helper. I did it with jackstands.
Old 08-18-15, 09:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I have no lift. I have all the tools, floor jack and heavy duty jack stands but currently have no garage and a short, steep, sloping driveway. The job is easier than me safely getting the car in the air and on stands unfortunately.

If I lift from the front center jack point on the crossmember in front of the oil pan, where do the jack stands go? I usually place them where the suspension meets the unibody, but can't because o working on the suspension.

Should lock-tite be put on the preload bolts prior to setting preload?

Thx
Stands go under the OEM jackpoints on the floor pan seams. There is no part of the suspension Lexus recommends as a jack point. I don't think resting the car on suspension joints is a good idea either. They have not been designed to support the car's weight where the floor pan seams have been specifically designed to do this.

If the instructions don't say Loctite, don't use it. If you insist anyway because you're hardheaded, use 242 (blue) so you have a chance of disassembling it later.
Old 08-18-15, 09:41 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Interesting, the video show flex but no twist with stock and no flex but with twist with the bushing. What is changing here?

AA
Watch again. The stock bushing allows the arm to deflect fore/aft as well as side to side...when the wheel assembly moves with the road surface you can see the bushing deflect AND watch the nut rotate as the assembly moves up and down - it's just harder to catch as the entire bushing is deforming as well and allowing the arm to move. The red bushing does its job and isolates arm such that it's only allowing the arm to pivot with the assembly instead of deflecting with the bushing.

The part of the arm that goes through the bushing HAS to be able to "spin" inside the bushing in order for the suspension to work properly. Or at least that's my understanding.
Old 08-18-15, 12:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Actually I'm a lot more curious about the brace attached to the outside mount in the video...
Old 08-18-15, 02:22 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Actually I'm a lot more curious about the brace attached to the outside mount in the video...
It looks like the GTSpec 4 point lower tie brace that I recently installed. Here's my review of it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9151129
Old 08-18-15, 03:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I really do not see any downside to this mod at all. Great job RR Racing on designing a unit with the thrust plate.
Old 08-18-15, 09:18 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
I just finished installing mines on yesterday. Steering feedback and braking is definitely improved. It's alot easier if you have a helper. I did it with jackstands.
Just curious how can you set pre -load when the car sitting on jackstands ?
Old 08-18-15, 09:57 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguyF
Just curious how can you set pre -load when the car sitting on jackstands ?
I have a slim jack. I take off the bowl and use the lifting arm to lift it. Then I use the jackstands to set it in the preload. There is some gap on the factory preload to use on the jack.
Old 08-19-15, 08:22 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you Idoke1 !
Old 08-19-15, 10:53 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Where do I buy this? Is there a for sale page or link somewhere here on the forum?
Old 08-19-15, 01:04 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
Where do I buy this? Is there a for sale page or link somewhere here on the forum?
http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm
Old 08-19-15, 01:45 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't worry about loctite, the bolts have a pre-applied thread coating to keep them in place. Also regarding pre-load, the adjustment bolts preload the bushing into the housing and against the thrust washer, eliminating the gap between the two, this way the housing is compressed slightly against the thrust washer, for immediate response during movement when driving . You can do the pre-load while the car is up and it ideally should compress more as the car is lowered. I would still go back and check on the gap between the "washer" and the bushing after driving. I must have done something wrong and I had some gap and had to do some more adjustment. it's a great mod and works as advertised, especially from a steering feel standpoint. I took my car to Atlanta Motorsports park after install and even with squishy conti DW's it felt good.
Old 08-24-15, 05:42 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

just got my USRS installed and my steering is perfectly straight and my car pulls perfectly straight too. i wonder if i still need an alignment?
Old 08-24-15, 05:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
just got my USRS installed and my steering is perfectly straight and my car pulls perfectly straight too. i wonder if i still need an alignment?
Wait until you have cords showing on the inside (or outside) edge and you'll have your answer. I would not chance it. My car drove fine after I put in the Figs bushings, but the alignment was way out.
Old 08-26-15, 06:19 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Does anyone else have any noises coming from these while going slowly over uneven pavement? Sounds like a creak, almost like a loose fender liner or something (but that is not the issue). Doesn't feel like anything is loose. Not really sure what is causing this. The noises seem to get quieter after a few minutes of driving. It is as it's worst when I first start driving in the morning. Maybe a lube issue?

Quick Reply: Just installed the Ultimate Steering Response System (USRS) from RR-Racing.