IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking at getting a ISF

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 09:51 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Looking at getting a ISF

Found ISF 2008 black on black with 113k for $23,500. Car fax show four previous owners but clean car fax. Car show good condition for the age/ mileage from what I see. But I'll be going in Monday to drive and see it in person. You fella member think rite price for what it's worth?

Last edited by laobo979; 06-20-15 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-20-15, 10:47 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Price wise, its a good deal depending on the condition. Go test drive it and you may come back with it.
Old 06-21-15, 12:17 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Y u want to get so many miles ? because of the price ? get lower mileages and if u can 2010 and up i remember you in Isx50 area
Old 06-21-15, 06:39 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Y u want to get so many miles ? because of the price ? get lower mileages and if u can 2010 and up i remember you in Isx50 area
Mile aren't too important to me rite now ask budget is. I was gonna get 2010 but 400 vs 200 a month. I'm also saving up for a house in year or two so money saved going towards that. Can I afford to get 2010+ yes is it reasonable for me too rite now no. Yeah I remember you too look like isx50 me member migrated to isf or out the club.
Old 06-22-15, 07:14 AM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do the test drive, you will come back with it guaranteed. Lol.
Old 06-22-15, 07:29 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Go for a newer year man, at least 2011. Ask for service records and check everything.
Old 06-22-15, 07:41 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Go for a newer year man, at least 2011. Ask for service records and check everything.
As state as much as I would love to get the newer years. The 15-20k I save on getting 08 goes towards a house which is a better investment then a few upgrades.
Old 06-22-15, 08:21 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High miles, but if your buying a house I would say go for it. I was in the same situation but i wound up buying a 2011 for 47k with 15k miles on it.

My suggestion would be to wait until you can afford something with less miles. These cars will go forever but who knows who drove it before you and with it being a performance vehichle, people will rag them out.

You can always take it to the dealer and do a 100 point inspection on it. This may ease your mind a little but it will cost you a few bucks.
Old 06-22-15, 08:24 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by laobo979
As state as much as I would love to get the newer years. The 15-20k I save on getting 08 goes towards a house which is a better investment then a few upgrades.
Are you paying cash or financing?

Honestly, I would get the house first and wait for the value to start climbing, the house can help you get the car later.

My .002 cents.
Old 06-22-15, 08:34 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would get the house first if I were you, OP. Or purchase an F that will net you the lowest monthly payments possible. Back in 2011 I was able to finance the F (48 months) but I ended up paying it off within 24 months so I could purchase my condo. You'll get the best rates for a mortgage if you have the least amount of liens on your name.

If you get the house first ( in a year or two like you said), 08 ISF used prices may be higher or lower, it is still unknown, since the ISF has been discontinued. But if you look at past cars like the iconic NSX, Supra, S2000, their resale values have been solid and have appreciated in most instances since they've been discontinued.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 06-22-15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 08:37 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I would get the house first if I were you, OP. Or purchase an F that will net you the lowest monthly payments possible. Back in 2011 I was able to finance the F (48 months) but I ended up paying it off within 24 months so I could purchase my condo. You'll get the best rates for a mortgage if you have the least amount of liens on your name.
+1, he can then use the house equity to help him buy a newer IS-F, won't have to settle for a 2008.
Old 06-22-15, 08:38 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Your budget and what you want to spend on a car is obviously a very personal question that only you can answer. Your question is whether or not the car you've found is a good deal for the year and mileage. In a vacuum, yes it's a pretty good price, and 110k+ miles on a well maintained Lexus/Toyota is nothing. You can go 100k more miles and expect no major issues with proper maintenance (Not saying you'll never have unscheduled maintenance, just saying these cars are very reliable). The wildcard is what does "rough condition" mean? Condition and maintenance schedule is important. If you can talk to the prior owner or see records, that's more important than mileage.

Yes, there are improvements throughout the years, but unless you are a competitive tracker, you probably won't be testing the limits of the eLSD and suspension on the 08-09 vs. a 2010+. As an owner of a 2009, I've never been held back my the suspension or LSD on my car. The most annoying thing is the lack of a USB port that became standard in 2010, seriously. that's something I miss every time I drive the car... not the LSD.
Old 06-22-15, 08:46 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Honestly, I would get the house first and wait for the value to start climbing, the house can help you get the car later.

My .002 cents.
Financing only 10k which I can pay off in two years. After that money I've been saving towards the house and car be paid off. I rather have a house and no car loan or borrow from equality to spend the extra when if I put it towards the house to add value.

If you get the house first ( in a year or two like you said), 08 ISF used prices may be higher or lower, it is still unknown, since the ISF has been discontinued. But if you look at past cars like the iconic NSX, Supra, S2000, their resale values have been solid and have appreciated in most instances since they've been discontinued.
Being it low price and giving trading in my IS350 car would be paid off in 2 years vs 5 years. Which at that point I'll have no bill or loan then comes the house.

Last edited by laobo979; 06-22-15 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 08:52 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbb
Your budget and what you want to spend on a car is obviously a very personal question that only you can answer. Your question is whether or not the car you've found is a good deal for the year and mileage. In a vacuum, yes it's a pretty good price, and 110k+ miles on a well maintained Lexus/Toyota is nothing. You can go 100k more miles and expect no major issues with proper maintenance (Not saying you'll never have unscheduled maintenance, just saying these cars are very reliable). The wildcard is what does "rough condition" mean? Condition and maintenance schedule is important. If you can talk to the prior owner or see records, that's more important than mileage.

Yes, there are improvements throughout the years, but unless you are a competitive tracker, you probably won't be testing the limits of the eLSD and suspension on the 08-09 vs. a 2010+. As an owner of a 2009, I've never been held back my the suspension or LSD on my car. The most annoying thing is the lack of a USB port that became standard in 2010, seriously. that's something I miss every time I drive the car... not the LSD.
I could afford to spend to make the payment no problem. Do I want to? Not really I got married last year and I could of bought a 2012 cash lol but wedding made the wife happy. So trying to give her a house while giving myself ISf and not struggle to enjoy life. Upgrades on the new years are nice but not really needed. But thanks for the input fellas will see what happens by the end of the week. Either I'll be in ISf or still in the 2gen IS.

Last edited by laobo979; 06-22-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 10:41 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 273 Likes on 173 Posts

My .002 cents.

Agreed! Properties usually rise in value while cars do not! Buy the house, you will be a lot more satisfied (in the short and long run)

-Josh

Quick Reply: Looking at getting a ISF