IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

California Smog Check Official thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 06:17 PM
mentroc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
bump. need to smog my car soon, does removing the secondary cat pass smog emissions? I'm not talking about the visual.
yes it will pass tailpipe.
Old 12-30-13, 08:20 AM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my smog letter in the mail too. I have sikky headers and iss exhaust so I won't pass obviously.
Old 12-30-13, 08:57 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS-F is a "Standard smog" correct? It's not one of the new STAR programs victims?

Edit: having worked at a shop that did smogs, we really only inspected to make sure the fuel pressure regulator was there, and that the intake wasn't modified. I have NEVER seen a tech check for cats lol.

THIS PORTION DOES NOT IN ANYWAY REFLECT THE VIEWS OR OPINIONS OF EXTREME DIMENSIONS!:

there's always the "papers only" smogs

Last edited by Extreme Dimensions; 12-30-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-30-13, 09:46 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I need to smog my car within the next 2 weeks. I think I'm going to put the stock intake back on just to avoid questioning. Then I'll have just the JoeZ cat-back on.

FWIW I was not flagged for STAR.
Old 12-30-13, 10:27 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
I need to smog my car within the next 2 weeks. I think I'm going to put the stock intake back on just to avoid questioning. Then I'll have just the JoeZ cat-back on.

FWIW I was not flagged for STAR.
I'm putting the stock intake back on. My only concern is having my ISS Forged exhaust passing the sniffer. Please let me know your results when you do smog your car with your Joe Z exhaust.

BTW all of our exhausts are pretty much headerback. Its not a catback because it deletes 2 of the cats.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (07-10-18)
Old 12-30-13, 03:07 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
BTW all of our exhausts are pretty much headerback. Its not a catback because it deletes 2 of the cats.
The full dual systems most certainly are identified as cat back. The exhaust manifold (stock header) includes two catalytic converters, the only ones the electronics measure.

Lou
Old 12-30-13, 03:47 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Do y'all think I'll pass with sikky headers and stock catback? I'm not STAR either.
Old 12-30-13, 03:59 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Yeah Gene u'll pass in Mexico lolz ahahhahahha
Old 12-30-13, 05:06 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys crack me up. Imagine what I have to go through with my turbo Z when smog times come, my Z is far from 'stock'. I just passed on the 4th try lol. I'm just glad my car is an obd1. Just don't put too much detail on here. I'm sure smog ****'s will be referencing this when they write another BS smog enforcement bill.
Old 12-30-13, 06:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I left Sacramento after 24 years in California and moved to Georgia more for this than anything else. I kept getting Test Only for my Supra even though it had never failed once or even come close to failing. The final straw was the last check when the guy looked at my GReddy BOV and said "I can't pass it with that BOV because it's adjustable." He wouldn't even put it on the rollers. I was gone 2 months later to a job paying more money in a place where housing is stupid cheap. Never going back except to visit and laugh at all the taxes Californians pay - like this one!
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (11-17-22)
Old 12-30-13, 09:34 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a smog due with registration. Going to smog the ISF next week. I have a joe z intake and exhaust. I'll report back with the results. This is one of the main reasons I have not added headers.
Old 01-03-14, 10:08 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Sonuva...

I passed the emissions part but FAILED the visual (on BOTH the JoeZ exhaust AND the intake pipe!). He was thorough and went online to look at pictures, and then called a Lexus dealer to confirm his observations.

He said the secondary cats were removed which was a fail. I knew as much but played dumb. When he called the Lexus dealer, got confirmation, and then showed me pics there wasn't much I could do.

And then he said the intake pipe(!) was after the MAF which made it also a fail. Nothing after the MAF can be modified apparently. That I didn't know.

He said I could pay my registration now and then I have 2 months to get a smog PASS result before I'm in any trouble.

I'm so bummed... I knew the exhaust would just be a matter of getting a lazy tech but the intake thing surprised the hell out of me. He was cool and informative but not the "maybe Benjamin Franklin can improve my results" kind of guy.
Old 01-03-14, 10:15 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sonuva...

I passed the emissions part but FAILED the visual (on BOTH the JoeZ exhaust AND the intake pipe!). He was thorough and went online to look at pictures, and then called a Lexus dealer to confirm his observations.

He said the secondary cats were removed which was a fail. I knew as much but played dumb. When he called the Lexus dealer, got confirmation, and then showed me pics there wasn't much I could do.

And then he said the intake pipe(!) was after the MAF which made it also a fail. Nothing after the MAF can be modified apparently. That I didn't know.

He said I could pay my registration now and then I have 2 months to get a smog PASS result before I'm in any trouble.

I'm so bummed... I knew the exhaust would just be a matter of getting a lazy tech but the intake thing surprised the hell out of me. He was cool and informative but not the "maybe Benjamin Franklin can improve my results" kind of guy.
That sucks.. can't you go to another smog place or does he submit the failed test and you can only go back to him?
Old 01-03-14, 11:12 AM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Sonuva...

So he did a standard rolling test, correct?
Old 01-03-14, 11:26 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Yeah, rolling test at 15mph and then at 25mph with the tail-pipe sniffer. My emissions numbers were barely anything at all. Passed with flying colors.

Average HC: 4. ..... My measure: 2
Average CO: .01 ..... My measure: .00
Average NO: 15 ..... My measure: 2

The fail gets sent to the DMV electronically but I can go to any smog shop to have it re-tested.

I'm on the fence about swapping my exhaust and doing it again, or finding a less reputable place. But having 2 fails in a row will certainly get me flagged for STAR for all future tests. So I may just go back to stock temporarily. That's better then getting on the DMV crap-list.

Quick Reply: California Smog Check Official thread