IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Torsen or OS-Giken clutch type LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 08:47 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torsen or OS-Giken clutch type LSD?

So next year, I'm planning on doing an LSD swap. I'm just not sure if I should do a stock IS-F Torsen type or go with the OS-Giken.

For some reason, I just can't understand how the torsen works by looking at the pictures. I totally get the open differential and ball differentials. But until I get to open one and spin the axles, I just don't see it.

Anyways, it'll be for commute for 99% of the time and 1% of the time for actual road racing.

I've read that the clutch type can be very noisy etc. but OS-Giken for the IS-F is not like the typical clutch type.

Can anybody actually tell me a real advantage of one over the other? Lobux? Figs?
Old 11-12-12, 09:26 PM
JrBully
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed! I'm also interested in knowing the difference between the two diff's. Pro's and con's.
Old 11-12-12, 10:44 PM
NERD42
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... this is a very good question and hopefully a great explination.
Old 11-13-12, 05:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

A Torsen diff carrier has a torque bias ratio determined by the gearset inside the spool. What this means is, as long as both tires have some traction, you'll have torque going to both wheels - worst case will be the base TBR. All the clutch type LSDs don't depend on any traction on either wheel. They'll spin both wheels no matter what until the clutch is overcome by torque - either from the driveshaft or the axle. Where this really matters is when you are exiting a turn with the front corner fully loaded and the inside rear wheel off the ground. A Torsen diff is going to multiply the available torque based on the available traction. If the available traction is zero, you multiply the torque by zero and voila, it acts the same as an open diff. A clutch type does nothing of the sort. Even if one of the rear wheels comes off the ground, it will continue to send torque to the wheel with traction (hence the marketing term Posi-traction).

So - the clutch type requires maintenance and some require fiddling with friction modifiers in the diff oil to make them work acceptably. The Torsen requires nothing special at all and will last the life of the differential without issues. Pick your poison.
Old 11-13-12, 06:55 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

I wonder if our "eLsd" would help the Torsen diff if the rear wheel comes totally unloaded off the ground by applying brake and therfore applying torque/traction.

ill let you guys know...I have a whole 2010 is f carrier im putting on my 08.
Old 11-13-12, 07:29 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Where did you get the 2010 diff? Junk yard? I might try to locate a junked 2010+ diff otherwise I'll just do OS-Giken.

Theoretically, the E-Diff should work in harmony with the Torsen diff. Good point!
Old 11-13-12, 09:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I wonder if our "eLsd" would help the Torsen diff if the rear wheel comes totally unloaded off the ground by applying brake and therfore applying torque/traction.

ill let you guys know...I have a whole 2010 is f carrier im putting on my 08.
This is definitely true. When I did the pedal dance at the track, I could get the inside wheel to spin mercilessly on the exit of turn 8. It sounds like a bad clutch, but it isn't. When I just turned off the VSC with the long push, this never happened.
Old 11-14-12, 07:16 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone try the cusco lsd's? they have a street, mild and race version of their lsd for the F. There is also the Toms LSD.... Reliable? Worth the cost over a junked torsion if you can find one
Old 11-14-12, 07:25 PM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
the clutch type requires maintenance and some require fiddling with friction modifiers in the diff oil to make them work acceptably.
Is it just the initial setting up or is there a lot of maintenance and what is involved?
Old 11-14-12, 07:40 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by darbs242
Is it just the initial setting up or is there a lot of maintenance and what is involved?
The OEM Diffs in my 04/06 GTO's were Dana M80 Clutch pack Limited Slip.

When you changed the gear oil in them, you had to make sure you used the correct amount of slip modifier so that the the rear end wouldn't chatter at low speed turning maneuvers. People bought OEM Diff Oil and OEM Friction Modifier and followed directions to a T and still had problems with the rear end chattering, others guys did not.

When I changed mine out, I used Royal Purple in the rear end that came with "friction modifier" installed already and I had no issues.

As I understand it, the clutch type differentials are the most superior, with the trade off being:
1) that the clutches wear over time
2) fluid changes more often (worn clutch material in the fluid)
3) making sure you have the right mix of oem oil and friction modifier.
Old 11-14-12, 07:40 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Where did you get the 2010 diff? Junk yard? I might try to locate a junked 2010+ diff otherwise I'll just do OS-Giken.

Theoretically, the E-Diff should work in harmony with the Torsen diff. Good point!
a Salvage parts place in NY...from a 2010 IS-F that was damaged on delivery..part has basically no mileage on it.
Old 11-15-12, 05:05 AM
darbs242
Racer

^^^^ it's gone someone bought it a few days ago. I road course and drag race ofter... I'm thinking a clutch type is for me. But the low maintenance of factory is always nice
Old 11-15-12, 03:20 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

I can't speak to the OS Giken offering for the IS-F, but I have the OEM TORSEN diff in one Supra and the OS Giken Super Lock in the other. While the OS Giken is tuneable for the serious track addict, the "default" shim setting for the Supra is about perfect for the street, HPDEs and occasional serious track work. Lobux has explained the difference between the two. IMO, get the OSG and don't look back. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a BIG fan of OS Giken products. I have had their clutches in my Supras since 1998 and, this summer, installed the OS Giken Super Lock LSD in my red Supra. I will be doing the same thing with my black Supra as soon as I get some other projects out of the way.
Old 11-19-12, 08:04 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

So I stared at the blow up picture of the OS-Giken and figured out how it works! Hahaha - just like a regular spider gear open differential. The plates are attached to the output gear and the casing alternating! There is a very thin space between the plates for a viscous oil to give the resistance to spinning. What I don't get is when they say it's forward only vs. braking, etc. Next up for learning.. Torsen and planetary types...Anybody have a good link with a blow up picture of those?
Old 11-20-12, 06:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Click here for everything Torsen.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-23-20 at 08:33 PM.