IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Aftermarket Sub-woofer Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 10:55 AM
lexusis07
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

i kinda had a feeling yours came first. i hate meade he's the biggest *** in the world. and smd's suck ***. my good friend owns a name brand audio company not saying names for his sake, but fi audio is his build house who also makes smd subs. the head engineer who designed it straight up said ive made woofers get louder off half the power of an smd. there extremely inefficient they just look cool.
Old 11-02-12, 11:01 AM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ agree. I sent him a message on YouTube saying, that's a cool setup, looks identical to mine, who'd you copy those ideas from? He never replied back lol
Old 11-02-12, 11:17 AM
lexusis07
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

i asked him on one vid what kinda wheels he had on his first is250 and he replied back with something along the lines of your a tool and must not have any style if you want to copy me blah blah **** talking blah. so he blocked me, guess he showed me! haha
Old 11-02-12, 11:34 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petshark
Get a 10 in a sealed box. Nothing rediculas but it will make all the difference with the average ML system and it won't add much weight.
+1
Old 11-02-12, 05:33 PM
G9N
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Okay, since there are a lot of audiophiles in here, let me ask a related question or two:

1.) What do you guys think about the "thin" or shallow mount subs? I'm possibly looking for something like a 10" shallow mount sub, and I have a brand new Alpine amp to run it that puts out 300W rms at 4ohms or 500W rms at 2ohms. What subs should I be looking at?

2.) I'm probably going to have a custom made, small sealed box and amp rack made for the car, based on the suggested specs of whatever sub I get. What direction should I have the sub firing (towards the back seat, down, towards the rear of the car, etc) for good clean bass?

I used to be in to car audio years ago, and have had everything from JLs W6 line to Infinity Perfects, to Rockford Fosgate and MTX (remember them). I'm not a brand w.****, I just want something that sounds good and is small/light. The stock ML sub just doesn't quite cut it.
1) Subs are all about moving air. IMHO you pay a fortune more to get a sub that doesn't really preform to its price point. Honestly, the Magic CAS box is a really good comprise of space and internal volume because shallow mount subs need enclosures anyway. The TC Sounds Epic would play well on 300W in that enclsoure. Image Dynamics IDQ10v3.D4 would be another good choice for that amp and box. Personally that would be the sub I would choose with your set-up. Also, the Memphis M3 Dual 4ohm 10" would be a good pairing but not worth the extra money over the Image Dynamics.

2) Subs are omni-directional. The listener shouldn't be able to place where that speaker is located, unlike mids and highs. That being said if you just build a square box you can play around with firing direction and see which direction placement you feel is best. The magic box doesn't give you the choice but it's a pretty proven box that is well liked by its users so it's safe to assume the firing direction is acceptable or better.

Unfortunately, a small light good sounding sub-woofer doesn't really go hand in hand. The motor (the magnet(s)) is reposible for the performance. Light weight means less magnent which lowers the control over the cone. There are lighter weight magnents that are very strong such as neo or alinco but they make the cost of the sub-woofer skyrocket. Typically 3 to 4 times the price of a sub-woofer using traditional magnents. The best place to save weight is in the box going with a well built fiberglass box over a comparable sized box made out of MDF.
Old 11-02-12, 09:00 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G9N
1) Subs are all about moving air. IMHO you pay a fortune more to get a sub that doesn't really preform to its price point. Honestly, the Magic CAS box is a really good comprise of space and internal volume because shallow mount subs need enclosures anyway. The TC Sounds Epic would play well on 300W in that enclsoure. Image Dynamics IDQ10v3.D4 would be another good choice for that amp and box. Personally that would be the sub I would choose with your set-up. Also, the Memphis M3 Dual 4ohm 10" would be a good pairing but not worth the extra money over the Image Dynamics.

2) Subs are omni-directional. The listener shouldn't be able to place where that speaker is located, unlike mids and highs. That being said if you just build a square box you can play around with firing direction and see which direction placement you feel is best. The magic box doesn't give you the choice but it's a pretty proven box that is well liked by its users so it's safe to assume the firing direction is acceptable or better.

Unfortunately, a small light good sounding sub-woofer doesn't really go hand in hand. The motor (the magnet(s)) is reposible for the performance. Light weight means less magnent which lowers the control over the cone. There are lighter weight magnents that are very strong such as neo or alinco but they make the cost of the sub-woofer skyrocket. Typically 3 to 4 times the price of a sub-woofer using traditional magnents. The best place to save weight is in the box going with a well built fiberglass box over a comparable sized box made out of MDF.
I posted over at CA for you - I think that will be a better forum for the discussion. I've been very pleased with the ImageDynamic IDQ, great value, excellent sq (imo), especially in that small enclosure. My previous setup was a RE XXX in a rather large ported enclosure