IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Another reason why next gen F must be 450hp or better to stay competitive

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 07:05 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't call all those cars "competition". To me a true competitor would be a car that not only gets similar performance (can have more HP but heavier), but similar luxury, comfort, and reliability. That takes all SRT8s out of the equation. Even if they're 500+ HP cars priced $15k cheaper than the ISF, I'd still buy another ISF (actually I just did!)

About the germans, I don't think the RS5 will make it to the US. The M3 and C63 are already here (maybe the new M3 will show up at dealers soon). My guess is that the next ISF, probably in the market by 2014, will have the same engine but with a similar tune as the new GS-F, which got 461 HP out of the ISF engine.
Old 04-09-12, 07:15 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fast forward to 2m15s and see how the higher HP on the SRT8 doesn't mean that it's faster than the ISF:

Old 04-09-12, 07:16 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on people. Just because the HP / TQ numbers are bigger, doesn't mean it is efficient HP/TQ. That has always been the case with "American Muscle". They throw out huge numbers, but never have the times match up with those numbers. I recently saw a new camaro SS with supercharger, borla exhaust run a 12.5 and the guy was super pumped to be running those times.

Just saw the video. Famous Last Words....... "How Da &^%$ did he do dat" lololololol

Last edited by fleadog99; 04-09-12 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-09-12, 09:04 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

IMO that they need to increase performance all the way around hp/tq have the abilty to control suspension setting which I think will be added since this is now offered on new GS Fsport, improve steering feel even further, some weight reduction would be nice. Build a coupe version already they are missing out on a whole segiment in this market. New tech such as H.U.D also being offered on GS-Fsport, new 3D nav systems. Styling they needed to updated the look of F and not be so damned conservative in looks and performance of F, which is one of lexus/toyata down falls they are a very conservative corporate culture which imo holds them back from truly building ultimate luxury sport car they have reliability part down pack now they need to kick performance aspect up several degrees.

If they want to stay competitive in this performance luxury market and its biggest competition from M3,C63, RS, and CTS-V, and not so much from American muscle sedans 300C,GTO,etc and coupes mustangs,challengers,camaro these are different market but they need to increase hp/tq number if they are going keep up with there German rivals.
Old 04-09-12, 09:37 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
I wouldn't call all those cars "competition". To me a true competitor would be a car that not only gets similar performance (can have more HP but heavier), but similar luxury, comfort, and reliability. That takes all SRT8s out of the equation. Even if they're 500+ HP cars priced $15k cheaper than the ISF, I'd still buy another ISF (actually I just did!)

About the germans, I don't think the RS5 will make it to the US. The M3 and C63 are already here (maybe the new M3 will show up at dealers soon). My guess is that the next ISF, probably in the market by 2014, will have the same engine but with a similar tune as the new GS-F, which got 461 HP out of the ISF engine.
That is news to me that a GSF is going to use the ISF engine and is going to put out 461 HP. Is there a link I can read up on?

Originally Posted by davcrz5
IMO that they need to increase performance all the way around hp/tq have the abilty to control suspension setting which I think will be added since this is now offered on new GS Fsport, improve steering feel even further, some weight reduction would be nice. Build a coupe version already they are missing out on a whole segiment in this market. New tech such as H.U.D also being offered on GS-Fsport, new 3D nav systems. Styling they needed to updated the look of F and not be so damned conservative in looks and performance of F, which is one of lexus/toyata down falls they are a very conservative corporate culture which imo holds them back from truly building ultimate luxury sport car they have reliability part down pack now they need to kick performance aspect up several degrees.

If they want to stay competitive in this performance luxury market and its biggest competition from M3,C63, RS, and CTS-V, and not so much from American muscle sedans 300C,GTO,etc and coupes mustangs,challengers,camaro these are different market but they need to increase hp/tq number if they are going keep up with there German rivals.
I agree with you Dave, but not to compete with the American Muscle as they are in different market, but to compete with the Germans. To me its not all about the numbers but the whole package itself.
Old 04-09-12, 09:53 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
That is news to me that a GSF is going to use the ISF engine and is going to put out 461 HP. Is there a link I can read up on?
Its still a rumor. I honestly will be surprised if it happens, our IS-F's were sales flops, the ct200h was a sales flop, as well as the rebadged Lexus Prius.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ng-chief-talks
Old 04-09-12, 09:59 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
That is news to me that a GSF is going to use the ISF engine and is going to put out 461 HP. Is there a link I can read up on?.
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/g...el-details.php
Old 04-09-12, 11:38 AM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes, didn't know our ISFs were sales flops.
Old 04-09-12, 01:16 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly, that was an april fool's article . You can right click on the picture and check properties.

Anyways, I agree that the IS-F should stay competitive by adding HP/weight loss as they see fit, but not to the Charger or Chrysler 300.
Old 04-09-12, 06:46 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Those cars are ugly as fuuuuk...no comparison

I have no clue as to why this comment had me lol''ing

Now i ran a 300srt with intake full exhaust tune and im hPpy to say i have the cat muffler delete and joe z intake pipe and still pulled him by two cars. He wants to run me after he gets a cam and gears, but im also going with full exhaust intake sikky and juice, its not gonna be pretty

As to lexus staying on top of their game, im sure they will. I remember nissan with their 350z it was ice, but then the 370z made it look like a turd. Im sure the new f will be a whole lot of monster. It should be, since toyota has fallen of the grid big time.

Last edited by F4Fast; 04-09-12 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 07:29 PM
TokyoF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juanca
My guess is that the next ISF, probably in the market by 2014, will have the same engine but with a similar tune as the new GS-F, which got 461 HP out of the ISF engine.
Good points, but I disagree. I believe that Lexus will feel the pressure to improve fuel efficiency to stay competitive with the market. And this would almost have to be smaller displacement, and forced induction. BMW, Audi, AMG, CTS-V all changed their powerplants with their newer models, and in the case of the V, S4, and M5 used forced induction. What's more, simply re-tuning the same engine 6 years after it's original release, really won't get people excited about dropping 60k+ for a sports car.

Last edited by TokyoF; 04-10-12 at 02:19 AM.