IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Emission Test Passing Problem With Removing Secondary Cats and Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 05:27 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Emission Test Passing Problem With Removing Secondary Cats and Mufflers?

Is there? I want to do this if I end up getting an IS-F.
Old 02-29-12, 06:20 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Anybody???
Old 02-29-12, 07:06 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

If a visual is required and they know what to look for you'll fail. If all your going to get is a computer hook up and maybe sniffer then no, you'll be fine. Laws are different state to state/county to county so what are your requirements.
Old 02-29-12, 07:35 PM
mentroc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clifftrail
If a visual is required and they know what to look for you'll fail. If all your going to get is a computer hook up and maybe sniffer then no, you'll be fine. Laws are different state to state/county to county so what are your requirements.
you are correct. CA requires visual inspection, so secondary cat removal wouldn't be a good idea unless you want to gamble on the fact of the tech not knowing the car is equip'd with secondary cats.
Old 03-01-12, 05:21 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd really like too know if the space shuttle has black or green seats in the cabin... Just in case I decide too buy one... Removal of the secondary cats is Illegal no matter which state you reside in it is a federal emissions issue. So yes you will fail a visual emissions inspection.
Old 03-01-12, 08:41 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Has anyone in CA even done a required SMOG check on an IS-F? Smog isnt required until the 6th year after the cars manufacture date. So a 2008 isn't smogged until 2013-14.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.
http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

Buy a 2010+ with the real LSD and you'll have even more time..

~Dv8
Old 03-01-12, 09:15 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have secondary cats and mufflers removed on our X5 and check engine light is on for it and it WILL fail emissions regardless.

Thats here in Denver,CO. Each state varies.
Old 03-01-12, 09:40 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The 6 year abatement applies to cars that are purchased as "NEW"...

For any used car purchase or purchasing a used car that says "SMOG Checked" .. You will then be moved to the biennial smog program...

Im pretty sure thats how it works here in CA...

I'm do for a Smog Check in April of 2015

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Has anyone in CA even done a required SMOG check on an IS-F? Smog isnt required until the 6th year after the cars manufacture date. So a 2008 isn't smogged until 2013-14.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.
http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

Buy a 2010+ with the real LSD and you'll have even more time..

~Dv8

Some addtional food for thought..

IF for some reason you have to replace a damaged or modified OEM Exhaust system, it has a retail price of approx $2,450..

Regards,

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-01-12 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-02-12, 09:07 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The 6 year abatement applies to cars that are purchased as "NEW"...

For any used car purchase or purchasing a used car that says "SMOG Checked" .. You will then be moved to the biennial smog program...

Im pretty sure thats how it works here in CA...

I'm do for a Smog Check in April of 2015

Some addtional food for thought..

IF for some reason you have to replace a damaged or modified OEM Exhaust system, it has a retail price of approx $2,450..

Regards,

~ Joe Z
Agree to disagree. The DMV text is pretty clear, and didn’t have any stipulations on new or used, vs. just being under 6 years of age.
I bought my F 3 years old from a used car dealership. It was a lease return then sold at auction to the dealership. I have now paid registration on it twice, both with the abatement smog fee. I asked about Smog on my car the last time at the DMV and they told me early 2014 is when ill have to SMOG it.

Fantastic products you make! I have my stock components all nicely stored in the attic for one day I return my F back to stock.

~Dv8
Old 03-02-12, 09:20 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Agree to disagree. The DMV text is pretty clear, and didn’t have any stipulations on new or used, vs. just being under 6 years of age.
I bought my F 3 years old from a used car dealership. It was a lease return then sold at auction to the dealership. I have now paid registration on it twice, both with the abatement smog fee. I asked about Smog on my car the last time at the DMV and they told me early 2014 is when ill have to SMOG it.

Fantastic products you make! I have my stock components all nicely stored in the attic for one day I return my F back to stock.

~Dv8
Well then thats even better news...
I only got smog done once back in the day for my IS300 after moving to Cali..

Thanks for sharing the details on "How it works"

Agreed on the OEM parts... Mine are stored away as well..

Thak You

~ Joe Z
Old 03-02-12, 11:39 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Agreed on the OEM parts... Mine are stored away as well..

~ Joe Z
Mine are, well, scattered all over the place

Lou
Old 03-02-12, 05:57 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Us Californians are always screwed, what if buy an aftermarket exhaust like a JOE Z PST or something, will I still fail?
Old 03-03-12, 10:20 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Joe Z,
The abadement law went into efffect in 05', what was your IS300?

Originally Posted by Mjthind
Us Californians are always screwed, what if buy an aftermarket exhaust like a JOE Z PST or something, will I still fail?
A regular smog station which is what the IS-F will be subject to for at least the first 10 years of smog, they shouldnt hassle us as long as the tech is:

A: Not knowledgeable about the secondarty cat delete

or

B: Doesnt care as long as it passes emissions testing.

Mod away, man. Better now than if you wait.

~Dv8