IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealer wants to fix brake squeak issue with "lower performing pads."

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 02:06 PM
ArtF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer wants to fix brake squeak issue with "lower performing pads."

First, I'd like to thank everyone on this board for all of the great information provided....it's been tremendously helpful and informative.

Now, I realize that there already are a couple brake squeak threads but I thought my issue was somewhat unique. I have a 2008 with about 10,000 miles. While the front brakes have always squeaked a bit, my rear brakes started squeaking quite loudly at around 7000 miles. I mean LOUD squeaking....the type when you pull to a stop other drivers and pedestrians look at your car thinking "why the hell isn't this person fixing their brakes."

Anyhow, I printed out the Rear Brake LSB that was provided on this site (thank you again) and my dealer proceeded to perform the fix. Only problem, the squeaks continued....quite loudly. So, I took the car back to the dealer a second time loudly squeaking to a halt in the service area. Dealer promptly performed the fix again. However, the squeaks came back again....just as loud. I took the car back for a third time and the dealer now wants to replace the rear pads with a set that aren't as "high performance." They say these new pads will address the noise issue but won't perform as well as the ones being replaced (they gave me Lexus part #04466-0W040).

My dealer has been great so far, but I'm a bit miffed at Lexus. I paid good money for a "performance" car and I expect a performance car. I'm not sure what to make of it and was curious to know if the community has experienced something similar. I believe I have been a good ambassador of the F brand (extolling it virtues etc to those that want to dismiss it). I've also previously owned products from Porsche and BMW M's division with little problem.

Don''t get me wrong, I love my F but this brake issue is making me consider a new ride and never looking back at Lexus.

Last edited by ArtF; 02-10-11 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Update from dealer.
Old 02-08-11, 05:08 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget that bud, if myself and countless others had success with the LSB, then your dealer should be no different. At the most, they can experiment with the lower performing pads, in an attempt to solve your issue, but noway should these lower performing brakes be on your F as a pernament fix. Who the heck are they kidding. This is an "F", not an ES or IS. He should be smacked for making that offer. If they can't solve it, tell them to buy back the car like some here successfully did on a different issue, if I remember correctly, back awhile ago.
Old 02-10-11, 11:13 PM
ArtF
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: The dealer arranged a meeting with me today to discuss my brake squeak issue. They mentioned that the new part number I identified above was direct from Lexus and was intended to address the noise issue for those folks when the LSB fix did not work. I was told that Lexus may consider issuing another LSB on the topic. Dealer offered to replace my two rear rotors (as they resurfaced them when they attempted the LSB fix the second time around) and also install the "lower performing" pads. If I was still unhappy, they'd reinstall new OEM pads (squeaks and all) and I'd obviously get to keep the new rear rotors. They mentioned that Lexus told them I'd only notice a difference if I tracked the car. My dealer has been great so far in terms of being upfront with me but I'm still not keen on this proposed fix. I may just ask them to give me new rear rotors and new OEM pads. If the issue comes up again, I'll take it up directly with Lexus.
Old 02-11-11, 05:50 PM
surga7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which dealership did u go to? i went to Longo and they refused to replace it. Thanks.
Old 02-11-11, 07:54 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by surga7
Which dealership did u go to? i went to Longo and they refused to replace it. Thanks.
Thats awesome !!! Do they squeak ????

Joe Z
Old 02-11-11, 09:22 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I will report back about Longo hopefully tomorrow.
Old 02-13-11, 04:23 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

As long as the Lexus technician hears a squeak from the rear of the car during his testing, Lexus will replace it. Longo just replaced mine.
Old 02-14-11, 11:58 AM
ArtF
Driver School Candidate

Glendale, CA.

UPDATE: I picked up my car this afternoon from the dealer. Good news, the rear brakes no longer squeak. On the negative side, I'm not sure of the exact performance impact from these "lower performing" pads installed by the dealer.

Last edited by ArtF; 02-14-11 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Dealer update
Old 02-14-11, 06:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtF
Glendale, CA.

UPDATE: I picked up my car this afternoon from the dealer. Good news, the rear brakes no longer squeak. On the negative side, I'm not sure of the exact performance impact from these "lower performing" pads installed by the dealer.
Considering how little they contribute to the equation, they could probably not work at all and you'd hardly miss them. I guarantee you, at the track under full speed, the rear rotors never even get close to hot. On the street, they only seem to make noise.
Old 02-24-11, 06:26 PM
surga7
Rookie

The squeak wasn't there when the tech took it for a test drive, but they squeak at low speed to almost at complete stop (when applying the brake, of course).

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Thats awesome !!! Do they squeak ????

Joe Z
Old 02-24-11, 07:24 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

I got sick of the incompetent dealers/techs... I first attempted to have them fix the squealing bringing in the car for the TSB... they replaced the rear pads, and resurfaced the rotors... the squeal is worse then over... so I had enough sounding liked a city bus under 'very slow light pedal pressure stops'. I just pulled the rear tires off... removed the pads... and beveled the surface, coated the entire backing... and it's all but about gone now...

I think a big contributor is the 'straight cut' to the pads... typically a beveled edge of 45' is normal.

Peace!
Dave
Old 03-01-11, 09:52 PM
surga7
Rookie

I'll give it a try, just cancelled my appointment at Cerritos Lexus yesterday, because the guy was giving me lectures when I called to make an appointment on the break noise.
Hope the guy at independent service shop I usually go to can help me on this.
Thanks.

Wen

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I got sick of the incompetent dealers/techs... I first attempted to have them fix the squealing bringing in the car for the TSB... they replaced the rear pads, and resurfaced the rotors... the squeal is worse then over... so I had enough sounding liked a city bus under 'very slow light pedal pressure stops'. I just pulled the rear tires off... removed the pads... and beveled the surface, coated the entire backing... and it's all but about gone now...

I think a big contributor is the 'straight cut' to the pads... typically a beveled edge of 45' is normal.

Peace!
Dave

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-01-11 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 01:29 PM
joe0057
Driver School Candidate

Brake late to the stop light. Stops the squeeks!