IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Hawk Brake Pad Problem!! (NEED HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 07:43 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hawk Brake Pad Problem!! (NEED HELP)

I've been having some fairly loud squeeking noises coming from my pads lately. I took it into the dealer for the rear pad fix. That did not solve my problem. So tonight I decided to investigate into the front pads which I switched to Hawks about 2k miles ago.

To my surprise I take out the passenger side pads and this is what one of them looks like.

It appears the Hawk Shim has moved. It seems this would be my problem? If so, what should I do to correct it?
Old 11-29-10, 11:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Those pads were made for a Mercedes Benz. The big cutout on the pad is for the brake wear device.

The shim in this picture is not intended to run directly against the pistons in the caliper. It needs the OEM metal shim over the top of it. Very odd they'd ship the pad like this.
Old 11-30-10, 05:53 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Those pads were made for a Mercedes Benz. The big cutout on the pad is for the brake wear device.

The shim in this picture is not intended to run directly against the pistons in the caliper. It needs the OEM metal shim over the top of it. Very odd they'd ship the pad like this.
They did not ship it like this. This is the pad after about 2k miles.

Due to my misunderstanding of whether or not to install the stock shim over the one that comes attached to the Hawk pad, I ran it without the stock shim on top of the Hawk shim.

I read that these Hawk shims can be removed. I did that and replaced them with the stock shims. Do you think this will be fine? I did a test run and they still seemed to make noise but much quieter and infrequently.
Old 11-30-10, 06:37 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
They did not ship it like this. This is the pad after about 2k miles.

Due to my misunderstanding of whether or not to install the stock shim over the one that comes attached to the Hawk pad, I ran it without the stock shim on top of the Hawk shim.

I read that these Hawk shims can be removed. I did that and replaced them with the stock shims. Do you think this will be fine? I did a test run and they still seemed to make noise but much quieter and infrequently.

I would HIGHLY recommend using the stock shims! Our shop specializes in foreign vehicles, and the steel backing of the brake pad has a common cutout used to mount a brake sensor, this is NOT unique to Mercedes, it is used in a host of European vehicles. Given that our cars have a Brembo brake package on them it is of no surprise to me to see Hawk have this cutout in their pads. That being said it is NOT the cause of your noise. What you want to do is remove the Hawk supplied shim from the back of the pad, then, apply a small amount of brake pad grease to the backing, then to the shim, CAUTION! DON'T go crazy with the stuff! a little goes a long way! Here is a link showing where to add the grease, http://www.weblumen.com/subaru/brakepads.html Everybody has their favorite, I like the stuff made by ACDelco 10-4019 You may be able to buy some from your local Toyota dealer, I know it (The Toyota lube) comes with the pad shims when you buy them. This should help quell your noise. The key being using a "quality" lube for the back of the pad and shim that will not evaporate after a couple heat cycles or was off from water.
Old 11-30-10, 07:24 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Ming - Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and did just what you said. I removed the Hawk supplied shim from the back of the pad, applied brake pad grease and put on the OEM Lexus pad shim. I'll post back after a few days and detail the outcome.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-30-10, 03:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ming15237
I would HIGHLY recommend using the stock shims! Our shop specializes in foreign vehicles, and the steel backing of the brake pad has a common cutout used to mount a brake sensor, this is NOT unique to Mercedes, it is used in a host of European vehicles. Given that our cars have a Brembo brake package on them it is of no surprise to me to see Hawk have this cutout in their pads. That being said it is NOT the cause of your noise. What you want to do is remove the Hawk supplied shim from the back of the pad, then, apply a small amount of brake pad grease to the backing, then to the shim, CAUTION! DON'T go crazy with the stuff! a little goes a long way! Here is a link showing where to add the grease, http://www.weblumen.com/subaru/brakepads.html Everybody has their favorite, I like the stuff made by ACDelco 10-4019 You may be able to buy some from your local Toyota dealer, I know it (The Toyota lube) comes with the pad shims when you buy them. This should help quell your noise. The key being using a "quality" lube for the back of the pad and shim that will not evaporate after a couple heat cycles or was off from water.
No, the Brembo copper anti-seize does not come with the shim kit. I've already bought the shim kits and there's nothing but the metal piece in the bag. The Brembo grease is a separate item available from Lexus for these brakes and the brakes on the LS460 Sport. YES, these pads are made for the SL 55 AMG, that's why they have the cutout in them. This is the ONLY other OEM with the Brembo M6 caliper from the factory, and if you really wanted, you could get Pagid pads made for the SL 55 AMG and put them in our Brembo calipers. The cutout is useless for anything else American or Japanese because no one else uses the M6 caliper AND Lexus chose not to use the electronic device method of pad wear indication.

MANY Toyotas use the plastic sheet AND the metal shim from the factory - I know my Supra did for sure - so putting the metal shim (with somebody's grease) over the set up Hawk provided would be identical to a host of other Toyota products.
Old 07-15-11, 03:13 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

do you have apart number for the brembo grease? I called my local dealers and they have no idea they even made grease from brembo.
Old 07-15-11, 03:29 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
do you have apart number for the brembo grease? I called my local dealers and they have no idea they even made grease from brembo.
Just go to your local store and find COPPER based anti-seize, it's the same stuff. Don't use the aluminium anti-seize
Old 07-17-11, 12:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Tell them to look it up in TIS. The part number is in the factory service manual for the IS-F. That's where I got it. If they don't use this Brembo grease, they are not following the Lexus factory service manual's instructions and you could be a real ***** and sue them if anything went wrong.
Old 07-17-11, 12:37 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car&Driver just did a brake pad review. On the hawks street & race versions, ebc, and stock pads.

The streets faded more that the stock pads under track use, but had a great bite pad feel under normal use. The ebc's were the most consistent in a track setting

ps I didn't know you had to use the copper over the aluminum grease. Thats why I love forums
Old 07-17-11, 03:48 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

i just found a local store that carries the permatex copper anti-sieze lube. Just gonna stop by and pick me up a can. I don't want to bother with lexus no more. Does anyone else have squealing with new pads installed? I have the project mu pads and now every time i use light brake pressure when the pads and rotors are cold they squeal away. But for some reason if the pads are hot or i have driving around they do not squeal. I am thinking that since i used the cheap brake lube from auto zone it was like 2 bucks, this is where the squealing is coming from.

Please correct me if i am wrong. And i did not replace my rotors or had them turned.
Old 07-17-11, 07:36 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ How many times did you bed-in your brakes?
Old 07-17-11, 07:49 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i just found a local store that carries the permatex copper anti-sieze lube. Just gonna stop by and pick me up a can. I don't want to bother with lexus no more. Does anyone else have squealing with new pads installed? I have the project mu pads and now every time i use light brake pressure when the pads and rotors are cold they squeal away. But for some reason if the pads are hot or i have driving around they do not squeal. I am thinking that since i used the cheap brake lube from auto zone it was like 2 bucks, this is where the squealing is coming from.

Please correct me if i am wrong. And i did not replace my rotors or had them turned.
Same here only happen when the weather cold (under 65), but its only happen on my rear brakes. I installed new Project mu and New Centric rotors (front and rear), And I did the bedding 45 mph to 10 mph about 6 or 8 times.

Last edited by SoCal_450h; 07-17-11 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-18-11, 12:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

FYI - I finally found a source outside of Brembo for the magic paste.

http://www.kspaul.de/AntiSeizePasten%20engl.html

the PBC paste is what Nissan specifies for their Brembo applications, so no doubt, it's the same stuff you'll find in Brembo's tiny tube.

Looks like Pegasus carries it for a reasonable price. Might also want to check with CircuitMS, our vendor/sponsor for the same stuff.

Equivalent 3M product specifically for brakes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MP-PBC-engl.pdf (96.6 KB, 652 views)

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-18-11 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-18-11, 01:40 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely get the copper anti-seize. I changed my pads with OEM pads and the supplied Brembo stuff and cleaned all of the pics and shims thoroughly. Installed the new pads and I get no squealing whatsoever at any time. Bought my pads from Sewell. Maybe you can ask them if they can order the Brembo stuff. It comes in tubes. I was supplied two tubes and used one tube for each set of pads.

Last edited by Bulls23337; 07-18-11 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Hawk Brake Pad Problem!! (NEED HELP)