IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sound Deadening Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 04:40 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I had more time tonight so I decided to go out and take some more readings. I also placed the iphone on the instrument cluster right in the middle so that I could see the screen easier while keeping an eye on the road. Here are the results assumed windows up, AC off, radio off, auto-mode, non-sport.

35db Car off sitting in the garage
76db Initial cold startup in garage
63db Warm idle
73db Outside idle standing facing rear of car in between mufflers 4 ft away
84-87db normal acceleration from a stop shifting at 2000rpm (this is very uncomfortable)
72-80db slow acceleration from a stop shifting at 1500rpm
80-90db cruise drone some peaks mid 90's (slight inclines, heavy load, basically when the ending is turning around 1800-2200rpm) (not pleasant!)
75-78db cruise 8th gear 1500rpm.
I drove the car this morning to work and was not expecting to notice much of a difference, but I was wrong. I didn't have a chance to get all new decibel readings, but I did get a new reading for "warm idle" It dropped 3db from 63 to 59/60db! Also while driving it was noticeably more comfortable so i'm more anxious than ever to see how this project turns out. Tonight I'll get the rest of the corresponding measurements and tomorrow I'll be covering the rear of the backseat and upper deck.
Old 12-03-10, 06:16 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Took measurements tonight and have concluded that by covering just the area under the rear seat the car is now 2db quieter at all points. 2db doesn't sound like much, but to the ears it is noticeable and I can't wait to cover the areas behind the rear seat and upper rear deck where I'm certain most of the exhaust noise can be reduced. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some time to get this done.

Before noise reduction:
63db Warm idle
84-87db normal acceleration from a stop shifting at 2000rpm (this is very uncomfortable)
80-90db cruise drone some peaks mid 90's (slight inclines, heavy load, basically when the engine is turning around 1800-2200rpm) (not pleasant!)

Under rear seat covered with Ultimate B-quiet:
60db Warm idle
82-85db normal acceleration from a stop shifting at 2000rpm (tolerable, but I would be happier if I can get another 2-3db knocked off here)
72-78db slow acceleration from a stop shifting at 1500rpm
78-88db cruise drone some peaks mid 90's (slight inclines, heavy load, basically when the engine is turning around 1800-2200rpm) (getting better and noticeably more comfortable!)
73-76db cruise 8th gear 1500rpm.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-03-10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 10:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ James, Make sure you keep track of how much weight this stuff adds to your F.

We don't want you to slow down the 1/4 mile runs

Also, I am still trying to get a set of those silencers that slip right into our mufflers..

Will text you when I do. To see the sound difference they make.

Joe Z
Old 12-04-10, 06:46 AM
carlosg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ James, Make sure you keep track of how much weight this stuff adds to your F.

We don't want you to slow down the 1/4 mile runs

Also, I am still trying to get a set of those silencers that slip right into our mufflers..

Joe Z
I want you please to keep us posted of these silencers
Old 12-04-10, 04:04 PM
cholmes1
Rookie

Look forward to seeing the final results. Great project.
Old 12-04-10, 07:46 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Before noise reduction:
63db Warm idle
80-90db cruise drone some peaks mid 90's (slight inclines, heavy load, basically when the engine is turning around 1800-2200rpm) (not pleasant!)

Under rear seat covered with Ultimate B-quiet:
60db Warm idle
82-85db normal acceleration from a stop shifting at 2000rpm (tolerable, but I would be happier if I can get another 2-3db knocked off here)
72-78db slow acceleration from a stop shifting at 1500rpm
78-88db cruise drone some peaks mid 90's (slight inclines, heavy load, basically when the engine is turning around 1800-2200rpm) (getting better and noticeably more comfortable!)
73-76db cruise 8th gear 1500rpm.

Under rear seat, back side of the rear seat and rear deck covered with Ultimate B-quiet:
57db Warm idle
79-85db normal acceleration from a stop shifting at 2000rpm (much better! My ears no longer hurt from drone/resonance that seems to bother me close to 90db)
72-78db slow acceleration from a stop shifting at 1500rpm. (I couldn't see a difference in the meter, but my ears told me otherwise)
78-85db cruise drone some peaks mid 80's (slight inclines, heavy load, basically when the engine is turning around 1800-2200rpm) (I can live with this and I have a feeling my wife will approve as well.)
73-75db cruise 8th gear 1500rpm.

So in a nutshell I accomplished what I was aiming to do and more. The drone/resonance that I had prior to the b-quiet install is pretty much gone, I have ZERO rattles and my ears are thanking me big time! The car is absolutely quieter inside the car, but still fierce sounding outside. I hadn't been reporting this, but WOT used to be in the mid 90's and is now barely able to hit 90.

Joe, just for you I am responding here to let you know I only added 8.4lbs of weight. I had a 50ft roll and I still have 26ft left. This stuff weighs .35 lbs per sq. ft. If anyone wants to buy the remaining amount from me shoot me a PM.

Pics:

I also lined the inside of the pass-thru door.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-04-10 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-04-10, 08:14 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Caymandive, props to you for a great write up and documentation of results.

Thank you.
Old 12-04-10, 11:10 PM
uclachan
Driver School Candidate

Caymandive, great write up~! keep up the good work.
personally, i wouldn't mind little noise in the cabin but i may need it later~! thanks for your DIY
Old 12-05-10, 04:50 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM'ing you now about the leftovers.
Old 12-05-10, 01:01 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I took the wife and 18 mo boy out today for the first time since I installed any of the B-Quiet. My wife immediately told me that the car is indeed more tolerable than before and my boy passed out in his carseat within 5 minutes. I can tell you that there is a fine line and it's close to 90db that just kills the ear drums when in the "drone" range. With the insulation done I feel like I am now just over that fine line in the tolerable side. Still a bit loud, but does not drone and hurt the ears like it used to. No more resonance/rattles and a nice deep exhaust note inside the cabin. I'm happy with the results and glad I took the time to do this work. I was going to go and have the stock mufflers welded on in place of the JOEZ ones, but now I can save my money and keep the additional power and sound.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-05-10 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-05-10, 06:54 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Write Up!
Having had my Joe Z exhaust on now for about a month I absolutely love the growl and added attention the Z gets now but am in complete agreement about the cruise drone.

Recently did a 2.5hr drive from NY to AC and that cruise drone at 2000rpm can be a little unpleasant for myself and the 3 other passengers. But regardless I do love it and getting the Joe Z intake soon!

Would like to know more about the silencers tho!
Old 12-05-10, 10:34 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Joe Z
I wonder how effective they would be on cars with headers?

I usually have my music too loud I barley hear my car most of the time
Old 12-13-10, 12:30 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I have some Random Technology high flow cats going on the car this Thursday. I'll do another db check to see if they made a difference as well.
Old 12-13-10, 02:50 PM
archie
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I took the wife and 18 mo boy out today for the first time since I installed any of the B-Quiet. My wife immediately told me that the car is indeed more tolerable than before and my boy passed out in his carseat within 5 minutes. I can tell you that there is a fine line and it's close to 90db that just kills the ear drums when in the "drone" range. With the insulation done I feel like I am now just over that fine line in the tolerable side. Still a bit loud, but does not drone and hurt the ears like it used to. No more resonance/rattles and a nice deep exhaust note inside the cabin. I'm happy with the results and glad I took the time to do this work. I was going to go and have the stock mufflers welded on in place of the JOEZ ones, but now I can save my money and keep the additional power and sound.
i will say that you doing a decent job applying the sound deadening mat. however, if you are looking to drown out some of the exhaust noise you are going in the wrong direction.

the butyl based mats were not designed to be placed on panels with a lot of ridges and recesses, because these ridges and recesses help reduce the ability of the panel to vibrate. if you would choose to use butyl based mats on these areas, you only need to use a small amount. these mats are design to be used on large flat and unsupported panels like the outside door panel and the head liner, and even on these panels you do not need full coverage or layered amounts to get the desired effect.

what you need is some type of foam barrier to help reduce the sound. these foam barriers, just like fiberglass insulation in a house, are design to make the sound waves travel a greater distance. this is usually why thicker insulation will give better sound reduction. many of the products out there force you to use some type of adhesive to bond these foam barrier to the steel panel, but what i found out is that you can get some indsutrial strength velcro and velcro thicker foam/vinyl lined mats to the panel. this makes it great because there are no harmful fumes, and you can easily remove and reapply these foam barriers incase you need to get under them for maintance.
Old 12-13-10, 02:59 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Very good work and write up. I will be purchasing this to finish up the areas I did not finish using Hush Mat.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Trunk