IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Charcoal filter and intake sound after the JOEZ intake and TOM's drop in air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 09:12 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Ditto ?!

Post pics of the Charcoal element so people can see the material its made out of..

Joe Z
Old 09-17-10, 09:22 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ftw
There is no charcoal filter on the back of the Tom's filter. It is a foam which is black in color. The charcoal filter is in the air box itself and sits behind where you install the filter element. The charcoal filter covers half of the airbox opening, the other half has a plastic cage. I drilled out the mounts and removed mine when I installed the Tom's element. It's only there for some emmisions requirement and just decreases air flow.
I also thought about removing the charcoal filter from the OEM air box, but FIGS just reported an issue with that. His check engine light came on, and the car was at the Lexus dealership for a while to try and figure out why. They determined that the removal of that charcoal filter was causing the car to run lean, because it increased turbulence around the MAF.
Old 09-17-10, 09:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Well then there you have it.. Don't fix what's not broken..

Joe Z
Old 09-17-10, 09:59 AM
MINO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFC6
I also thought about removing the charcoal filter from the OEM air box, but FIGS just reported an issue with that. His check engine light came on, and the car was at the Lexus dealership for a while to try and figure out why. They determined that the removal of that charcoal filter was causing the car to run lean, because it increased turbulence around the MAF.

FIGs removed not only the charcoal filter, but the entire grid system.
That grid is what helps to prevent turbulence. I've pulled mine without issue... yet. However, I'm going to have a prototyping friend 3D-scan the grid that I removed and have a new one made without the charcoal filter provision.
Old 09-17-10, 11:38 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well then there you have it.. Don't fix what's not broken..

Joe Z
Well, now at least I know that I do NOT have two charcoal filters. Joe, last question, since I can no longer hear the secondary valve opening in the air box, is there a chance that that may have been disabled when installing your intake and TOM's filter? I do not think that those vacuum lines have to be unplugged, correct?
Old 09-17-10, 12:09 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The vacuum lines going to the second stage shouldn't been unplugged. They aren't even on the way when installing the intake tube or air filter. Relax, you can't hear the second stage intake just because your exhaust is louder than before.
And your concern about the integrated charcoal filter on the TOM's air filter... I think you installed the filter with the installation booklet attached to it... LOL.
Old 09-17-10, 12:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ISFC6
Well, now at least I know that I do NOT have two charcoal filters. Joe, last question, since I can no longer hear the secondary valve opening in the air box, is there a chance that that may have been disabled when installing your intake and TOM's filter? I do not think that those vacuum lines have to be unplugged, correct?
Correct...

As I stated earlier, the exhaust sound is now louder in the engine bay..

So as a quick test, rev the F with some help and watch the flap open & close as is passes 3600 rpms

Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-17-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 03:27 PM
ftw
Rookie

Must be a fluke with his car. I removed the whole grid with filter and have driven hundreds of miles with out a CEL problem. I removed it in my other cars and never had a problem. I also modified the second intake so it is open all the time, so maybe this helps balance out the air flow across the mass airflow sensor? I cannot see it doing anything different than installing one of those aftermarket air intakes with the stock mass air flow sensor installed into it. Anyways you can try it out, just carefully drill out the plastic mount positions. If you have a problem you can always reinstall the filter piece back behind the airfilter. With the box closed back up it is securely in place.
Old 11-28-13, 07:01 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same setup no issues better airflow old thread bump.
Old 11-29-13, 01:30 AM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar thing happen when they installed my exhaust. I realized they had flipped the valve around where the intake was open all the time
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ntake-mod.html