Blacked out door trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 08:45 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how much did they charge u?
if u dont mind me asking
and i wonder if i could get it done in obsidian?
although matching to the other trim like u have done may be a better idea
Old 08-10-09, 01:23 AM
Fsonic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My painter, who happens to be my buddy's cousin hooked it up. I paid 800 for the roof, door trim, front grille surround, front and rear badges and rear taillights ("candy apple" red). Went back and he did the wheels for another 300.

Ashamed to say, I'm not 100% sure how they did the door trim. When they started on the car, I saw them applying painter's tape around the trim so that's how I believe they did it. When I went back to the shop, I saw my grille surround dipped in some solution (acid?) that eats away at the original chrome. They told me that's the best thing to do when re-painting over chrome surfaces on the front of the car. I ended up having to bring the car back in as they needed to order a new set of rear badges (the original ones broke when they took them off). So they got the new badges and stripped the chrome off those, then painted them.

I'll get full pics uploaded!
Old 08-10-09, 05:32 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Default Blackout Tape

I recently used this 3M tape to cover the chrome trim on my car. This was a cheap and easy solution back when I owned a MINI. It still works well and goes on it minutes.

I don't have any other pics of the car at this time.

Old 08-10-09, 08:28 AM
robbys3m3
Driver

I just talked to my body shop buddy on how he did it on my car. They taped off trim and then scuffed up the chrome the best they could. They then misted on an adhesion promoter called 'Bulldog,' or something like that. When that dried, they then used another adhestion promotor called Dupont 222S. He says the adhesion promoters is the most important part of the process. When that was done, then the just sprayed the black and cleared it. He wanted me to point out that my little black trim pieces have substantially more clear coat on them then the actual car's finish, and that he hates Lexus paint jobs
Attached Thumbnails Blacked out door trim-isf-side.jpg  
Old 08-10-09, 11:01 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, he hates them
thats some great info
Old 08-10-09, 01:14 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I recently used this 3M tape to cover the chrome trim on my car. This was a cheap and easy solution back when I owned a MINI. It still works well and goes on it minutes.

I don't have any other pics of the car at this time.
How much did you order? Is it the right size for the trim, or did you need to trim it to make it 'skinnier'? Any problems when you wash the car?
Old 08-11-09, 03:54 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ilocke
How much did you order? Is it the right size for the trim, or did you need to trim it to make it 'skinnier'? Any problems when you wash the car?
Only 1 order and I had some left over. It is probably 1/8" wider then is needed but you can't tell. The color is spot on with the factory trim. Just take your time and get it smooth.

No issues with car washes. But if you want to remove it, it comes right off like vinyl.
Old 08-11-09, 05:52 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

Thanks, i put my order in. should be a good weekend project.
Old 08-11-09, 06:20 AM
CTlex7
Rookie

I have been wanting to do this for a while now. I think the best way would be to tape it off. It will take a while but would be worth it. robbys3m3 is right.. the biggest thing with the painting is the adhestion promotor or primer because the paint doesn't really stay too well to the chrome.
Old 08-11-09, 06:22 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great, how long does it take to do the whole job??
Old 08-11-09, 06:58 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

I think it took me 30-45minutes to tape it. Hardest part is lining it up centered on the trim and going around the curves of the back windows.
Old 08-11-09, 07:02 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

did you order the 02-06 hatchback or the clubman since the clubman is longer car? Is it made by trimbrite?

Last edited by fleadog99; 08-11-09 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-11-09, 07:08 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fleadog99
did you order the 02-06 hatchback or the clubman since the clubman is longer car? Is it made by trimbrite?
I used the 02-06 hatchback. I believe they must have several hundred feet of the tape and just cut off how much you need for the car. The back of the tape said 3M on it.
Old 08-11-09, 10:27 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Sweet. I just ordered some. Thanks for posting the link. Any special tips or advice you would like to offer, having done it yourself?
Old 08-11-09, 12:53 PM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Good idea. Take your time and don't stretch the tape. Also don't forget to remove the clear plastic film. Carefully Hide the end of the tape and cut with a sharp knife or exacto.

Quick Reply: Blacked out door trim