IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why i (WON'T) be getting an 2008 IS F

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 09:10 PM
Ace00
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Why i (WON'T) be getting an 2008 IS F

Short and simple, I have a 2007 IS 250 and i cannot justify paying 60k+ for what i think is basically the same concept design, besides the obvious F badge and minor changes here and there. Would you upgrade your 06 IS with 07 IS just to get the rear fin (antenna) LOL..Thats how i see it.

Don't get me wrong here, 416hp is a huge jump from 306hp (350) 204hp (250)

As hard as it will be for me to see all those IS F in the streets, I will patiently wait for the second generation.

To make me feel good about my decision i'll just repeat to myself "2nd gen is always better, I dont want to be a test dummy. They need to work out all the kinks" LMFAO

one last comment, i really think that they could have done a better job with the F badge on the dashboard/odometer. When i was on the dyno, it was a big eye sore...and yes im not a big fan of the new dashboard/odometer, seems like its a step back.

So lied, it was not short....but you got my point. any comments concerns complaints?
Old 11-11-07, 09:20 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Great. One less person on the waiting list.

Thanks. Bye
Old 11-11-07, 09:26 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

My IS-F to IS350 comparison

I feel just about the same as you do. I do think it is worth it to upgrade from an IS250 to an IS350 (I test drove both) but not worth the $$$ to jump to an IS-F.
Old 11-11-07, 10:40 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ace I understand what you mean. It costs a LOT more than a 250 or 350 almost twice as much for a car that looks arguably worse than 250 or 350. I'd say go get yourself an M3. At least it looks like you spent the money on a new car. If you got an IS-F some people might be like why'd you get THAT over what you had? You're answer would be 400+ hp but lots of people will be just like whatever... you just threw away good money.
Old 11-11-07, 10:52 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

some intelligent analysis and comparison in this thread
Old 11-11-07, 11:26 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are three main reasons why people will get the IS-F:

1) More Power
2) Better Performance/Handling
3) Exclusivity

If you don't care for any of the three above, then the IS-F is not your you.

Otherwise, if you find the three items important, then the IS-F is perfect.

It's all about what's valuable in the end. You'll find a bunch of people that find the IS250 superior to the IS-F because of cost, gas efficiency, and ease of maintenance...
Old 11-12-07, 12:07 AM
Ace00
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
There are three main reasons why people will get the IS-F:

1) More Power
2) Better Performance/Handling
3) Exclusivity

If you don't care for any of the three above, then the IS-F is not your you.

I don't think that the IS F is NOT for me, I am a Lexus fan at heart but for a current owner of the somewhat same design/concept. Its hard to justify upgrading to the IS F. FOr a person like me who always needs to have the latest and greastest things (ps3,wii,360,ds,psp,everything mac,N rounters,bluetooth headsets,iphone,n95,plasma etc...) The need to have the newiest and greatest. Its odd that i wont be getting it.

My main point for this topic is to shine some light in this that as a potential new car buyer in the market, if i wanna buy a IS F. I wanna feel like im in an IS F...not that im in another IS but with a two tone seat and the F on the dashboard. Yes i know the feel is all in the drive (Speed,handling) but it has to be the whole package.

...Don't worry, my IS F will come. 2nd - 3rd gen who knows
Old 11-12-07, 04:23 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autovation
I had a chance to drive the IS-F they had at SEMA. Did 0-60mph, 60-0 ABS braking, skidpad & slolam. Very nice car but IMO not worth the extra money compared to the IS350. FWIW, here are my opinions:

Handling: The only mods I have on the IS350 are wheels/tires/springs and my IS350 has very similar handling characteristics & body roll to the IS-F. The stock IS350 has way too much body roll. The stock IS-F tire widths are the same as the stock IS350 although it has 19" wheels instead of 18". On the street there should not be a perceptable difference. My lowered IS350 actually had a better driving "feel" and I didn't feel as high up as the IS-F.

Acceleration: Below 50mph the accleration between the IS350 and IS-F is very similar and I could not note any difference. Above 50mph there is a BIG difference. Except for passing on the highway, there should not be much difference on the street. Also, the stock IS350 traps 102-103mph so it is not a slouch by any means. Below 50mph I was disappointed in the acceleration (probably traction control related).

Sound: Not as big a difference as I was expecting. The IS-F 5.0L V8 is not a high reving motor and has a very mellow tone that left me wanting more. The IS350 has a sharper sounding exhaust.

Braking: Very similar from what I was able to test (from 60mph anyway).

Exterior: IS350 > IS-F
Lowered IS350 >> IS-F
Lowered IS350 w/19" Volk Progressiv TE's >>> IS-F

Interior: Very similar with some small differences. These have been covered 100x but I didn't really pay much attention to them when in the car.

Transmission: Much better in the IS-F but there is still that ANNOYING 1 sec delay between when you pull the paddle til the car shifts. When it finally shifts, the IS-F shifts quicker and harder but not by much.

In short, if you are not going to track the car... get an IS350. It behaves the same as the IS-F in 99+% of all traffic situations. If you seriously track your car and want a good DD (only 1 parking spot in your garage maybe???), this may be the car for you. It looks like the IS-F will be a $25k+ premium over the IS350 and I cannot justify that for myself.
I think you're on crack! Either that or you were driving an IS350 and didn't know it. I've never driven the ISF but I've seen the videos of that transmission in action and there is NO delay from the time you pull the paddle to the actual shift. It is virtually instantaneous.

0-50 the same as IS350?

Handling not much different?

Not much difference on the street?

No perceptible difference in handling?

IS 350 has way too much body roll?

Your lowered IS350 has a better feel than the ISF?

The IS350 has a sharper sounding exhaust?

The ISF shifts quicker than the ISF, but not by much?

It behaves the same as the IS-F in 99+% of all traffic situations?

LOL!!! By all means, keep the comedy comin'!
Old 11-12-07, 04:48 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I think you're on crack! Either that or you were driving an IS350 and didn't know it. I've never driven the ISF but I've seen the videos of that transmission in action and there is NO delay from the time you pull the paddle to the actual shift. It is virtually instantaneous.

0-50 the same as IS350?

Handling not much different?

Not much difference on the street?

No perceptible difference in handling?

IS 350 has way too much body roll?

Your lowered IS350 has a better feel than the ISF?

The IS350 has a sharper sounding exhaust?

The ISF shifts quicker than the ISF, but not by much?

It behaves the same as the IS-F in 99+% of all traffic situations?

LOL!!! By all means, keep the comedy comin'!
Old 11-12-07, 06:41 AM
is-fan
Driver

Automobile mag had a mixed review of the IS-F. Most of what they had to say about it was not very good. These are a few reasons some may not be buying it.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...s-f/index.html

Here are a few quotes:

"Despite Yamaha-developed cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and hollow camshafts, the oversquare V-8 feels like it's running out of breath by 6000 rpm, and the engine note goes flat by the time the computer pulls the plug at a mere 6800 rpm."

"So, it doesn't scream, but the Lexus engine won't win any singing competitions, either. A secondary air intake opens up at 3600 rpm, filling the cabin with a contrived, nasal induction honk under big throttle openings. It's not particularly pleasing inside the car, and it completely stifles the exhaust noise-the noise that makes the German V-8s so desirable."

"Unfortunately, the transmission uses the same curiously spaced gears as it does in the LS460. To wit, first, second, and third are so far apart that you're constantly wishing for another couple of gears in between, especially on slow, twisty roads. Conversely, the higher gears are so closely spaced that half of them seem superfluous."

"Unlike the German competition, the IS-F isn't a complete rework of the chassis it's based on. It includes no additional chassis stiffening or unique suspension mounting points"

"But that hot-rod mission is one-sided, and the IS-F's potential customers will expect their cars to do more than simply tear up the tarmac on a racecourse. For all the speed the IS-F gained on the track, it lost even more of the ordinary IS's drivability and good looks. And on the streets and in the showrooms, that's what really counts."

I haven't driven it yet myself, but these statements are not very flattering.
Old 11-12-07, 07:13 AM
xioix
Racer

I guess if you had a 328i you wouldn't upgrade to a M3 either
Old 11-12-07, 08:32 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xioix
Old 11-12-07, 09:38 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default IS-F zoom zoom

Originally Posted by xioix
If I owned a 328i, I would know not to get the M3 because I'd be so angry with the lack of reliability... :P

I test drove the IS350 at Taste of Lexus this year and I must say that I went around the turns probably as hard as it could go and it handled pretty well for me. I see the IS350 as a car that's very good for 80% of my driving experience, while the IS-F would be much more competent on the road handling, but it's overkill for 90% of the situation. Therefore, if you want to pay the extra $15K for overkill, then go ahead.
Old 11-12-07, 12:12 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

heh...just get whatever car fits you best. If you want a track car first and street car second, the IS-F can fit that mold. If you want a street car first and a track car second, the IS350 can fit that mold...well maybe if it is fixed up a lil bit...but let's just see how much the IS-F is...cuz I know the BMW M3 (including obvious markups) will be a lot more than the IS-F...(i hope)...
Old 11-12-07, 05:30 PM
Ace00
Rookie

I have no problem with the price (Even though we dont know what the actually listing price will be) I know the reliability is there.

I love the comment about "I guess if you had a 328i you wouldn't upgrade to a M3 either" and AlexusAnja reply has funny. LOL

TRUST ME, if i didnt own the current design concept of the IS i would not even think twice about getting the IS F. Im not bashing the "F" whatsoever....Don't get it twisted guys.

Quick Reply: Why i (WON'T) be getting an 2008 IS F