Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation > IS C
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Potential owner with a few questions :-)

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-13, 10:55 PM   #1
MrPeach84
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
MrPeach84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: az
Posts: 8
Default Potential owner with a few questions :-)

Hi, I am considering getting either the IS 350c or the 250c. Other then horse power, any differences between them? Must you use premium unleaded gas? Would you consider this a low maintenance car compared to other convertibles? Any real complaints?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
MrPeach84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 06:21 AM   #2
geenice
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeach84 View Post
Hi, I am considering getting either the IS 350c or the 250c. Other then horse power, any differences between them? Must you use premium unleaded gas? Would you consider this a low maintenance car compared to other convertibles? Any real complaints?
I've had my 2010 IS250C for 4 years, only have 16K miles on it and haven't had any issues with it. Not really a lead foot so I didn't go for the bigger engine. Manual requests premium unleaded and I average 22 mpg.
geenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 07:06 AM   #3
TomDac
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
TomDac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NorCal
Posts: 76
Default

The cars are identical except for the engines.

Premium unleaded is a must because of the high compression engine on both models... calculate your annual miles, then the price of gas to determine how much more using premium will cost each year.

Like Geenice said, if having 300+ horses is not a requirement for you, get the 250. It really all depends on you.

I've had mine for 3 weeks now... So far, I'm loving it, except for the fact that it's winter time and I can't have the top down!
__________________
2014 IS350C - "Ruby"
TomDac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 07:09 AM   #4
Bleezy
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Bleezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 416
jessyca.blood jessando jessycablood
Default

I'd get a 350 if they have one in the color you want with the options you like. I went 250 to get Blue on Black and every time I get in my friend's 350 or ISF I'm like damn, my car is slow! LOL

Premium gas on both models is needed.

They are the same other than the engine and the big brakes in the front on the IS350. Which if you get painted or powdercoated look real nice. You can always upgrade to the 350 BBK like I did of course on a 250.

Either way you won't be disappointed with your decision, I love my ISC!
__________________
My USB ISC Build Thread: The Ultrasonic Bleezy Build
Bleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 07:43 AM   #5
13IS250C
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
13IS250C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 223
Default

I love mine too.

I burn mid-grade. My manual says 91 octane. Here, premium is 93 and mid grade is 89. I burn the 89 and get 24.7 in total stop and go traffic.

My car has the F-Sport package, rides a little rough (who cares?) but handles like a dream. Keeping the tranny in the power shift mode and being able to take the corners fast makes up for the lack of horsepower in my opinion.

My last few rides were a supercharged Z28, 370Z and G37. I really don't miss the horsepower except maybe going up an entrance ramp to an interstate. I live and drive through 3 of the biggest speed traps in Tennessee. You can hardly get over 40 mph. I just felt like I was wasting so much $$$ to have horsepower I didn't even get to enjoy. In my younger days of going to the strip on the weekends it was a different story.
13IS250C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 10:27 AM   #6
MrPeach84
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
MrPeach84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: az
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13IS250C View Post
I love mine too.

I burn mid-grade. My manual says 91 octane. Here, premium is 93 and mid grade is 89. I burn the 89 and get 24.7 in total stop and go traffic.

My car has the F-Sport package, rides a little rough (who cares?) but handles like a dream. Keeping the tranny in the power shift mode and being able to take the corners fast makes up for the lack of horsepower in my opinion.

My last few rides were a supercharged Z28, 370Z and G37. I really don't miss the horsepower except maybe going up an entrance ramp to an interstate. I live and drive through 3 of the biggest speed traps in Tennessee. You can hardly get over 40 mph. I just felt like I was wasting so much $$$ to have horsepower I didn't even get to enjoy. In my younger days of going to the strip on the weekends it was a different story.
won't it hurt the car or void the warranty if you use less then 91 octane?
MrPeach84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 11:29 AM   #7
13IS250C
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
13IS250C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 223
Default

I don't see how they could tell what I burn. It has never stumbled at all.

Now that gas has gotten so cheap, I really should go on and use 93. It really is kinda silly to pay that much for a car and then worry about a buck or two difference a week in gas. I'm being a bad mommy! Now I feel guilty.
13IS250C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 12:35 PM   #8
MrPeach84
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
MrPeach84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: az
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13IS250C View Post
I don't see how they could tell what I burn. It has never stumbled at all.

Now that gas has gotten so cheap, I really should go on and use 93. It really is kinda silly to pay that much for a car and then worry about a buck or two difference a week in gas. I'm being a bad mommy! Now I feel guilty.
You have a point. I just see it and it sounded like a lot in my head.
MrPeach84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 02:08 PM   #9
MrPeach84
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
MrPeach84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: az
Posts: 8
Default

Anyone know the average price for an extended warranty that is close to the original manufacture one?
MrPeach84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 02:29 PM   #10
vapid2323
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeach84 View Post
Anyone know the average price for an extended warranty that is close to the original manufacture one?
Statistically getting an extended warranty on these cars is a bad idea, they are among the most reliable cars on the road. If you had picked a BMW I would tell you the opposite

If you have the cash to risk or you just need the peace of mind then go for it!
vapid2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 02:49 PM   #11
MrPeach84
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
MrPeach84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: az
Posts: 8
Default

I'm thinking more for piece of mind. I guess.
MrPeach84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 08:36 PM   #12
RayEd
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
RayEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6
Default

The only difference I saw between the two is in the climate control system. The 350 has a smog sensor not in the 250. I guess because the 350s get allocated to the denser population centers where smog can be a concern.

I went with the 350 mainly because my last convertible was an '04 Toyota Solara. It had 225hp and no way am I paying that much for a car with less juice in it. I test drove both and while a difference of 20hp between my Solara and the 250 might not seem like much it was a noticeable difference. I also test drove an Infiniti G37 which only has about 20 more horses than the 350 and could tell a difference there too.
RayEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 05:18 AM   #13
tromly
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 3,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13IS250C View Post
I don't see how they could tell what I burn. It has never stumbled at all.

Now that gas has gotten so cheap, I really should go on and use 93. It really is kinda silly to pay that much for a car and then worry about a buck or two difference a week in gas. I'm being a bad mommy! Now I feel guilty.
great advice, theses cars are so expensive why worry over the cost of gas.
__________________
2010 RX cerulean blue, 2011 RX satin cashmere, 04 SC 430 white gold crystal /ecru , no mods
tromly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 05:18 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross-Shopping other brands from an IS350 F-Sport? armored350 IS - Third Generation 19 11-13-14 10:09 PM
Would you consider an IS 300h if they offered in the US boe IS - Third Generation 25 10-08-14 12:53 PM
WA WTB: 3GS rear spoiler angus 3Gen GS460 / 450H / 430 / 350 / 300 Classifieds (06-12) 0 05-13-14 03:47 PM
What other Cars did you consider purchasing? Jrocket GS - Fourth Generation 33 01-27-14 10:45 AM
CA WTB: authentic rear lip Sgm Quik208 2Gen IS250 / IS350 / IS-F Classifieds (06-13) 2 11-26-12 11:38 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info