IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tachometer RPM Dipping up/down ! IS350 Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 06:09 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I would just clean the throttle body first and see what happens. It's likely a little dirty and the learned value got reset when you swapped the battery...hence the unstable idle.
The following users liked this post:
Solara350 (03-22-17)
Old 03-22-17, 06:28 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I would just clean the throttle body first and see what happens. It's likely a little dirty and the learned value got reset when you swapped the battery...hence the unstable idle.
Thanks bro i will do it by Friday or weekend, i don't know anything about electrical is there a DIY ? it eases my headache everytime you reply or i read your post lol
Old 03-22-17, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

If your going out to buy some TB cleaner, pick up a bottle of fuel system cleaner too and dump it in with your next fill up at the gas station.

I did that for the sake of doing it and felt the car drives and idles a lot better now. It could be just in my head though, but at @70k kms I have never experienced what you are. It can only help and is cheap.
Old 03-23-17, 12:24 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

The fluctuation between 100 rpm is pretty normal for any cars. Especially during a cold start or an initial start.

you do not need to clean the MAF often unless you are running an aftermarket intake.

Don't sweat it, it sounds pretty normal.
The following users liked this post:
Solara350 (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 03:34 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkonquer
The fluctuation between 100 rpm is pretty normal for any cars. Especially during a cold start or an initial start.

you do not need to clean the MAF often unless you are running an aftermarket intake.

Don't sweat it, it sounds pretty normal.
Thanks bro, exactly what i wanna describe, car drives normal and pulls fast, the RPM fluctuation between 50-70, i'm just very sensitive person my brother hates me when it comes to car, he said even brand new car isn't running perfect to me.

I did bring to Lexus Dealership, that Cute Asian Service Rep Girl said it's normal. She told me don't waste money for Diagnostic. Anyways thanks for your input.
Old 03-23-17, 03:39 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by 387
If your going out to buy some TB cleaner, pick up a bottle of fuel system cleaner too and dump it in with your next fill up at the gas station.

I did that for the sake of doing it and felt the car drives and idles a lot better now. It could be just in my head though, but at @70k kms I have never experienced what you are. It can only help and is cheap.
yep i'm gonna change to SHELL gas station this week and dump in a fuel injection in the gas tank, and then look at the TB and MAF, it has to be something with Gas TB MAF Air Filter, thanks bro, i accept all suggestions .
Old 03-23-17, 09:58 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solara350
what year is your car ? what's the mileage ? so dealer said the culprit was Exhaust manifold and Fuel Injector system ? under warranty ?
2014, it died at 38,000km. I complaint about the rough idles a year earlier during cold weather but they kept saying it's normal until the car warms up. It finally died this winter, smack in the middle of a snow storm. All 3 injectors went out on one side of the engine. At first they threatened I would have to pay for it if they open it up and it's a rat chewing the cable. After a week they finally got the parts in to replaced it. Anyway, full story https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/842845-fuel-injectors-dead-350-awd.html
Old 03-23-17, 10:05 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solara350
i was gonna ask you bro, i filled up gas at Esso station in Highway 7 lately because of free car wash with points, i remembered so well when i was test driving the car and checked everything and it was fine, when i went pickup the car we did swap out battery from my old car to the new car and i did not notice until i put gas at Esso station last week, i just checked my PCV valve this afternoon and i see oil around the pcv, gonna install an oil catch can clean up the throttle body and reset ECU again and see.
Never. I gas at the same Shell station for the last 10+ years of owning multiple cars. No ethanol added for Shell 91. I also gas the family SUV at the same station so if it's bad gas surely the turbo charged engine would have been gone by now. I can't think of anything else other than bad luck with Lexus parts.

I've also taken the car south twice the first year and gas only at Costco.
Old 03-24-17, 01:19 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by cFoo
Never. I gas at the same Shell station for the last 10+ years of owning multiple cars. No ethanol added for Shell 91. I also gas the family SUV at the same station so if it's bad gas surely the turbo charged engine would have been gone by now. I can't think of anything else other than bad luck with Lexus parts.

I've also taken the car south twice the first year and gas only at Costco.
yep just filed up gas at SHELL right at Richmond Hill Time Square, car drives better but RPM dipping still there.
Old 03-24-17, 03:01 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

You can look for some videos on Youtube to see how to clean the throttle body on a variety of vehicles. Unfortunately I didn't see one for the Lexus IS.
The process realistically is the same:
1. Remove intake tube from throttle body
2. Spray the intake cleaner/throttle body cleaner (that you can purchase at Canadian Tire) around the throttle flap first
3. Using a rag, spray some cleaner on the rag
4. Hold the throttle flap open with one hand while wiping around the bore and flap until all the carbon is removed

You can spray more cleaner as needed around the flap to clean as necessary.

Once you reassemble the intake tube, the first start may be rough.
The engine may shake a bit, it may even stall, and you may see odd colored smoke coming out the exhaust...not to worry, this is normal.
Let the vehicle idle until the smoke clears and shaking stops. Take the car for a drive to burn off any remaining cleaner in the engine.
Old 03-24-17, 09:58 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
You can look for some videos on Youtube to see how to clean the throttle body on a variety of vehicles. Unfortunately I didn't see one for the Lexus IS.
The process realistically is the same:
1. Remove intake tube from throttle body
2. Spray the intake cleaner/throttle body cleaner (that you can purchase at Canadian Tire) around the throttle flap first
3. Using a rag, spray some cleaner on the rag
4. Hold the throttle flap open with one hand while wiping around the bore and flap until all the carbon is removed

You can spray more cleaner as needed around the flap to clean as necessary.

Once you reassemble the intake tube, the first start may be rough.
The engine may shake a bit, it may even stall, and you may see odd colored smoke coming out the exhaust...not to worry, this is normal.
Let the vehicle idle until the smoke clears and shaking stops. Take the car for a drive to burn off any remaining cleaner in the engine.
thank you bro, ill probably do it on sunday. i still doing research about this ill post video tomorrow, this minor dipping also same as GS350 Fsport and Lexus LFA some LFA even worst than mine along with other IS350 Fsport. I gotta wait for a friend to come back from vacation to clarify if this is normal, i don't have Trust in Dealership. Ill try to do Throttle next before he's back, just switch to SHELL gas car drives even better but dipping still there.

Last edited by Solara350; 03-24-17 at 10:02 PM.