IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

High Idle IS350 Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 09:03 AM
dentroAuto
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Idle IS350 Fsport

I've had the car for 3 weeks and I was thinking the car was still warming up, but after a 10 minute drive the idle is still 1000 to 1200 or 1300 rpm. If I take my foot off the brake the car will jump forward. Is this normal?? BTW - its a 2018

Last edited by dentroAuto; 11-13-18 at 09:04 AM. Reason: forgot the model year
The following users liked this post:
Koz1614 (11-16-18)
Old 11-13-18, 10:21 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by dentroAuto
I've had the car for 3 weeks and I was thinking the car was still warming up, but after a 10 minute drive the idle is still 1000 to 1200 or 1300 rpm. If I take my foot off the brake the car will jump forward. Is this normal?? BTW - its a 2018
You're in Ontario, so I take it it's pretty cold there by now.

Even here in KC, we've had some sub-freezing temperatures recently, and my IS 300 AWD tends to idle at around 1000 for the first 5-8 minutes I'd say. But if it's colder there, it may take longer.

Can you go for a 15-20 minute test drive and see if the idle goes back down?

Otherwise, try using Eco mode while stopped.
Old 11-13-18, 11:47 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, that's normal on this engine for some odd reason. It feels like the car is trying to run away, haha. Eventually it warms up and calms down to 650rpm at idle, your car is fine.
The following users liked this post:
dentroAuto (11-13-18)
Old 11-13-18, 01:09 PM
dentroAuto
8th Gear

That's exactly the description I was looking for...the car is trying to run away! I guess it just has a longer warm up period. I thought it was because I turned on the heated seats and heated steering wheel. But that wasn't it. Thanks!
Old 11-13-18, 01:11 PM
dentroAuto
8th Gear

Yes, winter is coming and the temperature is dropping. I'll try the Eco-Mode setting. I don't live far from my train station but my other vehicles would reach normal rpm by the time I hit the end of my street. Thanks.
Old 11-13-18, 01:56 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Just bear in mind, Eco mode will reduce the heater output a bit, which means you might have a chilly drive. I usually just deal with it in Normal mode. Worth it for faster heating IMO.
Old 11-13-18, 04:39 PM
dentroAuto
8th Gear

Actually on a similar topic....does anyone find the car jumpy in stop and go traffic coming off the brake. It seems to be better in Eco mode, but in Normal mode it's not a smooth acceleration from a moving start. I hate seeing my passengers head bobble back and forth. Remember the stick shift days when you would hold a gear longer then you should to feel the torque...it's not that extreme but the car does bounce a little.
Old 11-13-18, 04:44 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dentroAuto
Actually on a similar topic....does anyone find the car jumpy in stop and go traffic coming off the brake. It seems to be better in Eco mode, but in Normal mode it's not a smooth acceleration from a moving start. I hate seeing my passengers head bobble back and forth. Remember the stick shift days when you would hold a gear longer then you should to feel the torque...it's not that extreme but the car does bounce a little.
That's called throttle tip-in, and I feel like it's pretty good on these cars (mine at least) compared to Infinitis.
Old 11-14-18, 05:31 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Sybaritic

That's called throttle tip-in, and I feel like it's pretty good on these cars (mine at least) compared to Infinitis.
Agreed. I think it just takes some getting used to. My wife doesn't drive the IS very often. When she does, MY head is the one bobbing backwards. I feel like after 2 years of driving, I can be pretty smooth though. Just have to be delicate.
Old 11-16-18, 06:15 PM
Koz1614
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant believe I saw this post..literally just created an account to ask a very similar question about my 2018 IS300 F Sport...

I started up my car after work after it sat in the cold all day (30's)..After about 5 min or so of driving I got to the first stoplight..The car was in no way warmed up yet, maybe 25% there, but I turned on the heat. The blower was set to the windshield mode, temp @75 and fan on low. All of a sudden it felt like a truck was next to me, like a lot of vibration. I looked at the tach and noticed the rpm had jumped to about 1000-1100 upon turning on the heat. I turned off the blower and it dropped to 750ish, turned the heat back on and it went back to 1000-1100. When the light turned green, I felt that jump you are talking about, like the car wants to "run away". Now I am not sure if the 'windshield defroster' mode has anything to do with this. I noticed a fan/compressor turns on under the hood when turning on the heat in this mode even though the A/C is not on. The only strange thing is that this does not happen consistently. When I got home from work after about a 1hr drive, the car idled in 'D', at 750rpm regardless of the different climate modes I tried ( almost all of them ). Yesterday the same thing happened again. After about 10 min of driving after car was sitting for a while, I reached a stoplight..rpm rose to 1000rpm. I don't care that the rpm are at 1000, but the 'jumpiness' is kind of scary when you let off the brake when this happens...

Ill post a video if anyone thinks we need to dive into this deeper? If not I guess we can chalk this up to cold weather/warming up.
Old 11-16-18, 08:17 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Koz1614
Cant believe I saw this post..literally just created an account to ask a very similar question about my 2018 IS300 F Sport...

I started up my car after work after it sat in the cold all day (30's)..After about 5 min or so of driving I got to the first stoplight..The car was in no way warmed up yet, maybe 25% there, but I turned on the heat. The blower was set to the windshield mode, temp @75 and fan on low. All of a sudden it felt like a truck was next to me, like a lot of vibration. I looked at the tach and noticed the rpm had jumped to about 1000-1100 upon turning on the heat. I turned off the blower and it dropped to 750ish, turned the heat back on and it went back to 1000-1100. When the light turned green, I felt that jump you are talking about, like the car wants to "run away". Now I am not sure if the 'windshield defroster' mode has anything to do with this. I noticed a fan/compressor turns on under the hood when turning on the heat in this mode even though the A/C is not on. The only strange thing is that this does not happen consistently. When I got home from work after about a 1hr drive, the car idled in 'D', at 750rpm regardless of the different climate modes I tried ( almost all of them ). Yesterday the same thing happened again. After about 10 min of driving after car was sitting for a while, I reached a stoplight..rpm rose to 1000rpm. I don't care that the rpm are at 1000, but the 'jumpiness' is kind of scary when you let off the brake when this happens...

Ill post a video if anyone thinks we need to dive into this deeper? If not I guess we can chalk this up to cold weather/warming up.
Welcome to the forum.

What you are describing sounds exactly like my experience. As I noted before, I think turning on Eco Mode when you are stopped will alleviate the high idle. When you're ready to take off, just switch it back to Normal mode (or Sport if that's your preference). I wouldn't invest too much time in troubleshooting.
Old 11-28-18, 07:21 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Yep, pretty cold this morning and it reminded me of this thread.
Driving to work it was "launching" away from lights......switched
from NORMAL to ECO and it goes away.
Old 11-28-18, 08:56 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My car does this too. '15 IS350 F-Sport. I'm in Southern Ontario so our climates are similar. Also have a Kia with a 4 banger in the driveway that shakes much less when cold.

I think its just a big engine that takes some time to heat-up. I've found that shifting to N while at a stop light gets rid of the vibrations in the cabin. Don't know if you'd want to do that every time, but it seems to work until its warmed up.
Old 11-28-18, 10:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Crossxup11
My car does this too. '15 IS350 F-Sport. I'm in Southern Ontario so our climates are similar. Also have a Kia with a 4 banger in the driveway that shakes much less when cold.

I think its just a big engine that takes some time to heat-up. I've found that shifting to N while at a stop light gets rid of the vibrations in the cabin. Don't know if you'd want to do that every time, but it seems to work until its warmed up.
That does work, but as mentioned, it would be easier to just go into Eco mode so that you don't have to shift back into gear. You can then switch back into Normal/Sport after the revs drop.
Old 11-28-18, 11:02 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Among the cars I have owned, for example RX7, A4, G35x, G37x, the IS300 is "quirky"
This Forum is an amazing resource in many ways.....certainly helps distinguishing "quirky" vs "problem".
Who ever thought that a Lexus would be vibrating like that after a cold start?
I love the car, no big deal!

​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: High Idle IS350 Fsport