IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Sound System Upgrade Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 02:52 PM
erikinorl
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting this link. I'm thinking adding a JL Audio subwoofer and upgraded amp is all that is needed to improve the sound enough to enjoy. Has anyone found a concealed sub box, like the one's JL Audio Stealthbox? Don't think they make one for IS
Old 01-24-17, 05:31 AM
CDUB03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@sabapa I totally understand what you are saying I too came from a Kia with Infinity sound. I still upgraded the audio in that car with a blaupunkt powered sub. I plan on doing the same with the is350. Just waiting for some decent weather. I assume you can tap into the factory sub for audio. I haven't looked at it yet but if not you can get a high to low converter and use that for the audio.
Old 01-24-17, 05:59 PM
tonynca
Driver

Originally Posted by metrik
I have a JL 12w3v2 with an older Rockford Fosgate amp. The amp is mounted on the backside of the rear seats and the sub is in a 1x1x1 enclosure. I've always preferred sealed vs ported as it hits tighter.

Overall it doesn't take up much space. I just shove it to the back. In order to make it work the installer had to use a line out converter for the RCA input and usual power, ground, remote turn on etc. Should cost more than $25-30 for a converter
Which signal wire did your installer tap? The sub? Also, does the sub sound like it's sound aligned with the front speakers? Like do you hear the sub coming from the front of the car?
Old 01-24-17, 06:34 PM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metrik
Here's a REALLY good thread about sound system info for our car. Page 2 is most relevant

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-system-2.html

This is VERY helpful. I actually stopped by friend this past weekend, and he suggested that I upgrade my entire sound system to some decent JLs all around. It would be nice if there was a list of aftermarket sound systems that work best with IS350. I am willing to spend around $1k, not too crazy, but my friend told me it's enough to get me back on par with my Kia's Infinity sound system or at least above it. I obviously prefer above lol
Old 01-24-17, 06:38 PM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CDUB03
@sabapa I totally understand what you are saying I too came from a Kia with Infinity sound. I still upgraded the audio in that car with a blaupunkt powered sub. I plan on doing the same with the is350. Just waiting for some decent weather. I assume you can tap into the factory sub for audio. I haven't looked at it yet but if not you can get a high to low converter and use that for the audio.
Yeah, Kia's Infinity sound system is no joke, the clearest sound system I have had, very clear and precise. My friend has me convinced that going with JLs all around is the way to go since I am willing to put down some money for them. I am still trying to see if there is some place where people post about what's best as far as aftermarket sound system goes for 2014 IS350.
Old 01-25-17, 06:50 AM
mkhan54
Driver School Candidate

I purchased Rockford Fosgate 2 front corner dash speakers with built in tweeters along with Boom Mats. The boom mat has good reviews so i decided to give it a shot. Anyone have any experience?

• Closed-cell polyethylene enhances frequency response for improved sound clarity
Old 01-25-17, 10:36 AM
pandatroop
Driver

What would be the best options to upgrade the sound system for a non ML IS200t F-Sport? Do you just add the sub and amp? Does anyone add tweeters to the car?
Old 02-03-17, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

You'll need some sort of oem integration processor to connect to the outputs of the factory amp to sum up a usable signal to connect to a new amp if you want to replace your front speaker or your mids and highs. If you're just adding a subwoofer and an amp to power it, it is pretty simple.

Here's probably the best thread out there right now for a upgrading, it is very well documented.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml-system.html
Old 02-07-17, 07:19 PM
sabapa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 387
You'll need some sort of oem integration processor to connect to the outputs of the factory amp to sum up a usable signal to connect to a new amp if you want to replace your front speaker or your mids and highs. If you're just adding a subwoofer and an amp to power it, it is pretty simple.

Here's probably the best thread out there right now for a upgrading, it is very well documented.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml-system.html
Wow, I didn't know about not being able to remove the factory amp. This was really helpful. What is OEM integration processor? Is that another name for DSP? Is that what I would need if I want to add more than just a sub to my car? Can I get an AMP for just the sub if I were to go with sub only?

Thanks again for the link and info!
Old 02-08-17, 06:45 PM
erikinorl
Driver School Candidate

I thought I found a thread where someone showed how easy it was to sway out the amp with a aftermarket and add a sub? Anyone see this thread before?