IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is this a good deal? Anything I should look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 10:24 AM
bayvillian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal? Anything I should look out for?

Hey all!
After tons of shopping around (maxima, g37 coupe, gti) I think the is350 awd is the perfect car for me (It actually came down to this and the gti believe it or not).
I just wanted to make sure Im getting a good deal. I found a 2014 is350 awd f sport white ext with red leather with 35k on the odometer for $29,750 plus taxes and state fees. Is that pretty good? Is that mileage a little high?
I ran a car fax, it had one accident but was not towed and still has a year on the bumper to bumper and 3 years on drivetrain. Other than the carfax is there anything I should look out for when I check the car out in person? Are these cars prone to any sort of maintenance problems?

I appreciate any help at all and definitely look forward to being part of the community. Im a photographer by profession so I'll have some cool cars pics
-Matt
Old 12-27-16, 10:51 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bayvillian
Hey all!
After tons of shopping around (maxima, g37 coupe, gti) I think the is350 awd is the perfect car for me (It actually came down to this and the gti believe it or not).
I just wanted to make sure Im getting a good deal. I found a 2014 is350 awd f sport white ext with red leather with 35k on the odometer for $29,750 plus taxes and state fees. Is that pretty good? Is that mileage a little high?
I ran a car fax, it had one accident but was not towed and still has a year on the bumper to bumper and 3 years on drivetrain. Other than the carfax is there anything I should look out for when I check the car out in person? Are these cars prone to any sort of maintenance problems?

I appreciate any help at all and definitely look forward to being part of the community. Im a photographer by profession so I'll have some cool cars pics
-Matt
Id steer clear of this one due to the accident, unless they deeply discount it. Other than that, the car is a good car. No issues aside from the intermittent battery problem. I've got 53k miles on mine now and it's been a blast to drive! Will be keeping it for years to come. Comfortable and confident to drive with plenty of pull when you need it.

Im fixing to get a Porsche Boxster S, but I'll always keep a Lexus for driving to work!
Old 12-27-16, 11:01 AM
bayvillian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
Id steer clear of this one due to the accident, unless they deeply discount it. Other than that, the car is a good car. No issues aside from the intermittent battery problem. I've got 53k miles on mine now and it's been a blast to drive! Will be keeping it for years to come. Comfortable and confident to drive with plenty of pull when you need it.

Im fixing to get a Porsche Boxster S, but I'll always keep a Lexus for driving to work!
Thanks for the reply!
So even if it wasnt a major accident I should stay away? I was thinking of using "your mechanic" service that send a mechanic to the dealership to give a 150 point inspection.
Old 12-27-16, 11:05 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply!
So even if it wasnt a major accident I should stay away? I was thinking of using "your mechanic" service that send a mechanic to the dealership to give a 150 point inspection.
I'd be thinking about resale value here. You ought to see how that dealer would treat you on trade in if you were trading it with an accident on record. I'd expect to be given a nice discount to take it now.
Old 12-27-16, 11:08 AM
bayvillian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
I'd be thinking about resale value here. You ought to see how that dealer would treat you on trade in if you were trading it with an accident on record. I'd expect to be given a nice discount to take it now.
They were asking $30k would getting it for $29500 be a decent enough discount? All the dealers that have them in stock have really sketchy practices(must finance through them or its $1000 extra or wont let e mechanic check the car out), this is the first dealership that had the car I wanted that seems to be 100% transparent with everything along with good reviews.
Again, thanks you for the replies!
Old 12-27-16, 11:13 AM
Dramire3
Driver School Candidate

The price seems decent but $500 off is not big discount. You might be able to ask for more. Not sure how much you have negotiated but wont hurt to offer less once all your inspections are done and know you want the car. I dont think accident is big deal but i would want to know where the car was hit from and inspect that area really well. The $$$ of the repairs can give you a good idea how bad the accident was
Old 12-27-16, 11:18 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

They were asking $30k would getting it for $29500 be a decent enough discount? All the dealers that have them in stock have really sketchy practices(must finance through them or its $1000 extra or wont let e mechanic check the car out), this is the first dealership that had the car I wanted that seems to be 100% transparent with everything along with good reviews.
Again, thanks you for the replies!
Id expect a few thousand off, not $500. $500 is the cost to fix a dent.

An example:
I got my cpo is350 f sport, fully loaded, almost two years ago for $40k with 11k mikes on it. It was in near perfect condition.

I guess these things are holding their value better than I thought.

Id offer them 27k and see if they budge at all. I believe this car is probably fine and will last awhile for you. It's the resale value id be worried about.

Matt
Old 12-27-16, 12:10 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

you can input the vin into lexus' website and it will show you its service history or lack thereof. it only shows dealership services, though, which are helpful if they are there. obviously service performed at independent shops or by the previous owner will not show. it can be a great tool to check on the service history in any case, assuming the car was taken care of by lexus.