IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

TPMS Canister on 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 09:27 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok, so I spent an entire day at a tire shop this past weekend, tried out various makes/brands/models of TPMS' with either cloned ID's from stock sensors or just sensors which came with different ID's... none of which will get the warning light to come off, and none of which will display pressure on the dash. Only the stock ones seems to work...

Also, noticed another thing is with the stock sensors, they MUST be located near each corner of the car in order for them to read pressures. If you just stick them all together, the pressure will not read out on dash, but the warning light doesn't come on. So long story short, I've taken out the stock sensors and put those in the pressure canister. Warning like goes out.. out of my hair.. done
Old 11-01-16, 01:07 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my winters on last week with no tpms and the warning light went on (flash first then stays on)
My OEMs are nowhere near where I park.
I did put them on for one week in September just to try them out, the light was never on. Although my daily commute was around 40km so less than 50mile according to SpecOne.
My winters are on a set of used EVO X BBS which i got from kijiji, so I suppose they would come with TPMS too.
Looking to get my 3is relearn the winter tpms, anybody know if I can get a tool to do it and which won't cost $800-$1000 according to my research?.
Old 11-01-16, 01:09 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by otakusan
Ok, so I spent an entire day at a tire shop this past weekend, tried out various makes/brands/models of TPMS' with either cloned ID's from stock sensors or just sensors which came with different ID's... none of which will get the warning light to come off, and none of which will display pressure on the dash. Only the stock ones seems to work...

Also, noticed another thing is with the stock sensors, they MUST be located near each corner of the car in order for them to read pressures. If you just stick them all together, the pressure will not read out on dash, but the warning light doesn't come on. So long story short, I've taken out the stock sensors and put those in the pressure canister. Warning like goes out.. out of my hair.. done
Otakusan, do you thinK 3is only works with OEM TPMS?
Old 11-01-16, 01:10 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xuzhili23
I had my winters on last week with no tpms and the warning light went on (flash first then stays on)
My OEMs are nowhere near where I park.
I did put them on for one week in September just to try them out, the light was never on. Although my daily commute was around 40km so less than 50mile according to SpecOne.
My winters are on a set of used EVO X BBS which i got from kijiji, so I suppose they would come with TPMS too.
Looking to get my 3is relearn the winter tpms, anybody know if I can get a tool to do it and which won't cost $800-$1000 according to my research?.
Unfortunately those tools are all going to cost a great deal. But there are cheaper versions ($100)where you can pre-set 2 sets of TPMS IDs in there and just plug it into the OBD port to switch between your summer and winter set (once you have a tire shop get you the IDs for a one time fee). But you must find out if the sensors in the BBS' will work for the IS... not all of them are compatible.
Old 11-01-16, 01:12 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Otakusan, do you thinK 3is only works with OEM TPMS?
I'm not sure now really. There are a lot of people who got aftermarket ones to work, with proper pressure read out etc... but I(tire shop i went to) can't seem to, I'm starting to think it's their programing tool having some compatibility issues. Going to ask around the local shops and see if any one of them had more experience with this car.
Old 11-01-16, 02:36 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately those tools are all going to cost a great deal. But there are cheaper versions ($100)where you can pre-set 2 sets of TPMS IDs in there and just plug it into the OBD port to switch between your summer and winter set (once you have a tire shop get you the IDs for a one time fee). But you must find out if the sensors in the BBS' will work for the IS... not all of them are compatible.
Do you mean a OBD2 scanner type of tool?
Would you mind shine more lights on that?
I will try to get it done in the next 2 weeks and I can give you an update if it works for me.
Old 11-02-16, 05:43 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Do you mean a OBD2 scanner type of tool?
Would you mind shine more lights on that?
I will try to get it done in the next 2 weeks and I can give you an update if it works for me.
Something like a ATEQ QuickSet.. google it for more info.
Old 11-02-16, 10:44 AM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Something like a ATEQ QuickSet.. google it for more info.
good stuff, thanks Otakusan!
Old 11-03-16, 08:25 AM
berniebenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sensors read gage pressure, not absolute.

Even after putting the cloned sensors in a pressure capsule and pressure up to 36psi, the car would still read "---" and pressure warning light stays on.
Sensors read tire pressure relative to atmospheric, so if placed in a pressurized container the differential pressure across the sensor will always be zero.