IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire Predicament

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 03:46 PM
Cconnors09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Predicament

Hey guys. It's about time to replace my front tires. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to majority car stuff let's be honest. Just want some advice as to proceed with my tire situation. Stick with the same tire as I have currently and just do a swap from old to new? Replace all 4 at once with a different brand (the Bridgestone el turanza's can get pretty pricey). Or get 2 different tires for the front and then when it's time to replace the rear just match the rear with the same model of the fronts. It's been drilled into my head by my father to replace all 4 at once even if it isn't necessary. I don't necessarily want to do that but if that is the smartest option just say so! Thanks all

If you recommend new tires in any way, don't hesitate to let me know what you switched to!
Old 09-29-16, 04:22 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If the rear ones are good and low mileage, I would just replace the front with a good brand you like, I like the Bridgestones and Michelin AS3 or the Super Sport would be my choice.
Old 09-30-16, 10:43 AM
sistrunk05
Rookie

Originally Posted by toyoman29
If the rear ones are good and low mileage, I would just replace the front with a good brand you like, I like the Bridgestones and Michelin AS3 or the Super Sport would be my choice.
​​​Dump the Bridgestones and get the Michelins. I just replaced the OEM Bridgestones with Michelin Pilot Super Sports in August and it's like my IS received a handling upgrade. It is just a better tire all around.
Old 09-30-16, 11:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

+1 on Michelins. but if you're a casual driver not necessarily concerned with monster grip, stock will be fine.

as long as you keep the tires within the same type and class, you should be fine. Just make sure they're not significantly different. like all seasons mixed with summer.
Old 10-01-16, 07:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

If you have an AWD, make sure you read this:

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/....jsp?techid=18

I'm about 3mm and 5mm away from the wear bars on stock tires front and rear, respectively. If you need all season, it's down to the BFG G-Sport Comp-2 A/S, Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I think I am leaning towards A/S 3+, having Pilot Sport tires on three other cars. Otherwise Pilot Super Sports all the way.
Old 10-01-16, 08:23 PM
treymoczy
Driver School Candidate

I've done quite a bit of reading on various forums, including this one, and will also chime in on my recommendation on the Michelins. As others have echoed-- if you are concerned about maximum performance, etc., I think the Super Sports are the right fit. However, I think for most drivers the all season AS/3+ will be the right option. Longer tread life (when treadlife is limited as it is being a staggered vehicle) as well as all-season performance are just a couple of reasons.

You never really need to replace all 4 tires, however expect a little variable performance and road glide with different tires. Your car will never ride quite as smoothly as it would with a set of all new tires I am personally getting a set of all new AS/3+ within the next couple months.
Old 10-03-16, 06:30 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by treymoczy
I've done quite a bit of reading on various forums, including this one, and will also chime in on my recommendation on the Michelins. As others have echoed-- if you are concerned about maximum performance, etc., I think the Super Sports are the right fit. However, I think for most drivers the all season AS/3+ will be the right option. Longer tread life (when treadlife is limited as it is being a staggered vehicle) as well as all-season performance are just a couple of reasons.

You never really need to replace all 4 tires, however expect a little variable performance and road glide with different tires. Your car will never ride quite as smoothly as it would with a set of all new tires I am personally getting a set of all new AS/3+ within the next couple months.
Let me know how they ride, I was planning on getting them next spring when I switch back to summer tires!
Old 10-03-16, 08:12 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

As others have mentioned, don't even consider the factory crappy Bridgestones! Do yourself a favor and get some Michelins or Continentals. I need new tires soon, so I know for sure I'll be getting either the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Just research them both and make a decision based on your research!
Old 10-04-16, 09:00 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus seems to be the tire of choice for AWD. At 33,500 miles, my Bridgestones are measuring 4/32 to 5/32. My Lexus dealer indicated they recommend replacement at 3/32, but winter is approaching, and at least 6/32 would be desirable for snow. The factory installed Bridgestones cost more than Michelins, and that's interesting considering the terrible reviews for the Bridgestones. Perhaps AWD will overcome lack of tread. Would you replace the tires or wait?
Old 10-05-16, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hoosier1
Perhaps AWD will overcome lack of tread. Would you replace the tires or wait?
AWD will overcome the lack of tread when you're going, but when you're stopping AWD won't make a difference.
Old 10-08-16, 01:04 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll put in a plug for Continental ExtremeContact DWS, but my priority was all-season handling in mostly rain and occasional light snow. I last used them on my old Acura TSX got a solid 50K miles out of them and the all weather traction was as good as advertised. I plan to use them when my Bridgestones wear out.