IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Extra protection for lease worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 09:54 AM
Frosty87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra protection for lease worth it?

Hi everybody,

I just signed the papers for a 2016 IS300 w/ F-Sport Pkg 3 (Atomic Silver / Rioja Red) and I'm really excited to pick it up on Monday.

I'll be doing a 39month lease for 0.9%.

The office manager just called and told me some extra protection packages she'd like to review when we finalize the payment information next week.

After reading around the forums here I've decided the Tire/Wheel protection package offered by Lexus is a good deal to replace damage to the tires/wheels over the next 39 months (it's $399 CAD)

However, she also offered 2 other packages (that I did not see on Lexus' website so it might be a dealer offer).

- One is a wear and tear package for $900 that will cover up to $7,500 worth of repairs if needed at the end of the lease (if I damage the car and such)

- The other is a paint/interior/wheel cosmetic protection package that is $1499 for all 3 components or $675 for an individual component. This was mentioned briefly in our phone chat (I'll have more information on Monday) but I assume it's also to fix these areas to top quality if there's deficiencies at the end of the lease. I forget how much coverage it had but it was for a few thousand dollars as well.

For the people who have leased cars in the past, do you think these 'add-on' protection packages are worth it?

I can see the tire/wheel replacement pkg for sure but I'm not sure if I want the other 2 or a combination of them.

I also live in Vancouver, B.C and although I go to Whistler or Seattle sometimes, I don't really do any driving in heavy gravel roads (say where a person who lived in Alberta might be more exposed to)

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Frosty
Old 09-16-16, 11:05 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't help you much other than saying if I could go back, I definitely would have gotten the wheel insurance.
Old 09-16-16, 12:28 PM
Obscene14
Driver

I purchased the excess wear and tear package for my 2014 IS350 24 month lease for $500. I'm glad I did. I'm returning the car in two weeks with four nearly bald tires. All four wheels have some form of curbage. The rear bumper has some decent scrapes and gouges and the driver side a-pillar interior covering had a mishap involving a burning ember. And both valet keys were stolen by unscrupulous valet parkers. Total cost to repair everything if I didn't have the EW&T package is several thousand at least. My cost $0.

The Lexus key fob is an idiotic design. The valet key can be lost or stolen and you'll never know it because it's not attached to your house keys. All the german fobs have the valet keys attached to your house keys.

I noticed the day after valet parking that my valet was gone and both times the valet parkers played dumb and had no clue how they could have gone missing. Really? the valet key just doesn't fall out, you have to physically push the button to remove it.
My theory. They steal the valet key and write down the info on your regi in the glove compartment. Then they either sell your key and info to someone or go to your house themselves and steal your **** at a later date. Pathetic!

German fob vs Japanese fob.

Last edited by Obscene14; 09-16-16 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 09-16-16, 12:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have never found it worth it for me, as I've yet to have any damage at lease end on any of my cars. My cars are garaged, seldom parked in the city, etc.
Old 09-16-16, 01:15 PM
Frosty87
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses.

I know I'm going get the wheel/tire coverage for sure.

I am also considering the exterior wear/tear package for the body of the car since over 3 years I can't guarantee the body will be in top shape. I live near Richmond, BC and let's just say driving etiquette and skill there are vastly inferior.

I do not think the paint/interior/wheel package is worth it. I keep my cars extremely clean (no food etc) and I've never had paint issues with any of my previous cars. I will however, clarify the difference between the wheel package of this versus the overall wheel/tire package offered by Lexus Corporate.
Old 09-16-16, 06:37 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

all sell-ups to make more profit for the dealer. their sales staff is trained and expected to offer and sell these packages

i always decline all. ALL

Old 09-16-16, 10:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Usually not worth it. As mentioned, these are high mark up items originally designed to put money in a dealer's pocket. Your own insurance company should cover you for most damages, and the rest should fall under normal wear and tear. Just watch your parking, drive carefully, and take care of your car. That is the best insurance for all situations.
Old 09-17-16, 06:05 AM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I only got the wheel & tire package. It's already paid for itself after 2 flats. I do have a curb rash which I haven't taken it to the dealer but from the responses on the forum, I heard they also cover rims, that's the plus. And for a lease, the other packages aren't worth it.
Old 09-17-16, 06:16 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I think you just need to assess your risk like you've done. If you think you have high risk of damage to your wheels or exterior then they are worth considering. My risks are low, so I think the only one I'd be tempted by is the wheels.

Although I just read through this thread on how to fix your wheels yourself. $15 in parts and it's probably decent enough to get by a dealer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-up-paint.html
Old 07-23-17, 02:12 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Frosty87
... I'll be doing a 39month lease for 0.9%. After reading around the forums here I've decided the Tire/Wheel protection package offered by Lexus is a good deal to replace damage to the tires/wheels over the next 39 months (it's $399 CAD) ... - One is a wear and tear package for $900 that will cover up to $7,500 worth of repairs if needed at the end of the lease (if I damage the car and such) ... - The other is a paint/interior/wheel cosmetic protection package that is $1499 for all 3 components or $675 for an individual component. For the people who have leased cars in the past, do you think these 'add-on' protection packages are worth it?
Man O Man - no wonder I always purchase - that sounds like around ~$2800 (399 + 900 + 1499) worth of insurance you pay upfront but may benefit little from for a 3+ year lease which defeats the purpose of 0.9% financing!! Even Whistler driving can be pretty gentle!! lol

PS >>> on another note >>> when the financing was being completed for my purchase EVERYTHING was done over the phone. They offered an Extended Warranty on the car for I forget how much and what it covered (lol), however had to make up my mind right then and there, on the phone, on the spot, but I previously had a bad experience with Acura, so I politely declined. I wonder if many folks purchase these Lexus Extended Warranties...

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-23-17 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 07:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I'd probably just get the wheel and tire package. Excess wear and tear sounds nice, since I have had a couple cases where I needed to repair, but honestly I'd rather fix the damage now than when it gets turned in. I have made good use of the tire and wheel package - I have fixed 3 different curb rash instances so far. (Ironically they were all in cases where I was parking the car in a spot with no one around and had plenty of room...)
Old 07-24-17, 08:19 AM
initiald2k
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the tire protection and the wear tear protection.
Tire protection because I live in Montreal and pot holes can destroy tires easily during winter time here...
Wear and tear for around 1k.. that's pretty much the price you would need to pay if you return the car with bald tires (with all the negative review of the IS tires, I doubt they will not be bald after 3yrs).

The only time that i think it's really not worth it, is you decide to keep the car after the lease...
Old 07-24-17, 09:11 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

You don't need to pay for wear and tear items on your lease. I have leased many of my vehicles. Couple of them had scratches and dents, bold tires, and brakes needing to be change and the dealer never asked or told me anything about it when I returned the vehicles. I was quite surprised that one of my friend purchased a GAP insurance for his leased vehicle. Face Palm. The dealer will sell you anything and always avoid ALL them.

And alway remember to put down as lowest amount possible, negotiate the price on purchasing price (just like financing/buying a vehicle) and ask for 36 month lease not 39 month or you will be paying for another year of license for 3 month.
Old 07-25-17, 07:16 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Actually, GAP insurance is quite important. If you end up totaling your vehicle, it will save you a lot in case the car is worth less than what you owe on it. This is coming from someone who has had a totaled vehicle. Thanks to GAP insurance I only ended up paying $100 or so out of pocket to finish off the loan, even though I was just 2 years into a 5-year loan on a used vehicle.

In fact, I am pretty sure for my lease, there was no option for me not to get it in this case. Not to mention, if you return your leased/financed vehicle early, you can get a partial refund for the GAP.