IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Car did not start after 3.5 days of inactivity

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 07:34 PM
shroomysou
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Car did not start after 3.5 days of inactivity

I have a 2014 IS 350 F Sport. So I went on vacation for 3 & 1/2 days and my car did not start. Had to use the manual entry with the key to get in the car. Luckily, I was in the airport parking and was able to get a jump start from an employee. Is this normal?
Old 09-11-16, 07:44 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 09-11-16, 11:20 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty sure that there was a recall for this no?
Old 09-12-16, 09:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by robert2423
Pretty sure that there was a recall for this no?
No recall.
Old 09-12-16, 11:57 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 3IS had a battery issue, there should be a recall on this. I had this issue a few months ago. I just bought a new battery, didnt want to deal with the recall bull**** and have the issue come back.

hope you get it fixed.

Old 09-13-16, 11:49 AM
shroomysou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EJ255t
the 3IS had a battery issue, there should be a recall on this. I had this issue a few months ago. I just bought a new battery, didnt want to deal with the recall bull**** and have the issue come back.

hope you get it fixed.
I got an appointment this Saturday. They said they will test the battery. If there's nothing wrong with I will have to pay for a new battery.
Old 09-13-16, 11:59 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Read the thread linked to above

Originally Posted by shroomysou
I got an appointment this Saturday. They said they will test the battery. If there's nothing wrong with I will have to pay for a new battery.
If there is nothing wrong with the battery why would you buy a new one?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3...d-threads.html
Old 09-13-16, 12:01 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh, been hoping this was an isolated issue. I've read the other thread about this mostly affecting 2014 models and I've had mine for a year a now (got it used in 2015) and it just started doing this a couple weeks ago. First time was just one night and it wouldn't start in the morning. Got a jump and it worked fine for the next 2 weeks then I went on a 14 day vacation. Just came back today and it was totally dead. Got a jump from the hotel staff and just setup an appointment for tomorrow morning. Probably give me the same bs everyone else has gotten, there's nothing wrong and they'll say I need to pay for a new battery. This is bs lexus!
Old 09-13-16, 02:16 PM
39RN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonIS
Ugh, been hoping this was an isolated issue. I've read the other thread about this mostly affecting 2014 models and I've had mine for a year a now (got it used in 2015) and it just started doing this a couple weeks ago. First time was just one night and it wouldn't start in the morning. Got a jump and it worked fine for the next 2 weeks then I went on a 14 day vacation. Just came back today and it was totally dead. Got a jump from the hotel staff and just setup an appointment for tomorrow morning. Probably give me the same bs everyone else has gotten, there's nothing wrong and they'll say I need to pay for a new battery. This is bs lexus!
@BostonIS, is yours still under warranty? Talk to your local service manager about the Gateway ECU. This has seemed to be the fix. My battery was replaced 3 times back in 2014 before I both my car and the issue was never fixed. It happened to me a few times and I drove it in and they were able to tell it was the Gateway, never even looked at the battery. Good luck fellas!
Old 09-13-16, 03:17 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Yes its still under warranty. All lexus are 4yrs/50k warranty from what I saw on the paperwork. My car is still under 50k miles or definitely hasn't been 4 years yet. I'll mention it tomorrow when I go in about the gateway ecu.
Old 09-15-16, 09:05 AM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Update, went to the dealer yesterday for them to check it out and they said the battery, alternator, and electrical all looked normal. Even though I said this has happened twice already, they said if it happens again then bring it in and said there's plenty of warranty left on my car to cover it. FML, oh lets hope you dont get stranded the next time and then just bring it again. Ridiculous...
Old 09-15-16, 09:49 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...... then just bring it again. Ridiculous...
Next time call Roadside Assistance and tell them to send a flatbed so that the dealer can do a proper diagnosis. if Lexus pays out for enough flatbed tows eventually they will get a clue.
Old 09-17-16, 01:47 PM
shroomysou
Driver School Candidate

Update, went to the dealer yesterday for them to check it out and they said the battery, alternator, and electrical all looked normal. Even though I said this has happened twice already, they said if it happens again then bring it in and said there's plenty of warranty left on my car to cover it. FML, oh lets hope you dont get stranded the next time and then just bring it again. Ridiculous...
I took my car to the dealer earlier today and they gave me a loaner vehicle while they try to figure it out. I did mention the gateway ECU as said in a previous post. I think I'm lucky that I live near a good dealer. They've always been good.
Old 09-18-16, 10:40 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Many people have this problem. Lexus never fixed it for me, I just gave up. It was going to cost hundreds of dollars for rentals and gas driving 200miles, back and forth, plus time away from work to the nearest dealer. The nearest dealer kept brushing me off and Lexus USA just told me they can't make the dealers do anything.

I wont be buying Lexus next time, that's for damn sure.
Old 09-21-16, 03:02 PM
shroomysou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 39RN
@BostonIS, is yours still under warranty? Talk to your local service manager about the Gateway ECU. This has seemed to be the fix. My battery was replaced 3 times back in 2014 before I both my car and the issue was never fixed. It happened to me a few times and I drove it in and they were able to tell it was the Gateway, never even looked at the battery. Good luck fellas!
So I left my car with the Lexus dealer for a few days and they replaced the Gateway ECU. There was a parasitic drain. Covered under warranty. Thank you for helping me with this! Hopefully no more battery problems.