IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Blown Cigarette Lighter Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 05:40 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Blown Cigarette Lighter Fuse

While putting air in my tires via my little compressor pump. The fuse blew. Tried the compressor on my other car and it worked fine, so its obviously the cigarette lighter fuse. Google tells me its a quick and easy fix, but has anyone encountered this problem on these cars? Also can I just buy any 15 watt/amp fuse and replace it or should I go to lexus. Any advice or insight would be appreciated as I have never done this before, so I definitely don't want to screw up my electrical system trying to do it myself.

Thanks
Old 09-08-16, 06:12 PM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
While putting air in my tires via my little compressor pump. The fuse blew. Tried the compressor on my other car and it worked fine, so its obviously the cigarette lighter fuse. Google tells me its a quick and easy fix, but has anyone encountered this problem on these cars? Also can I just buy any 15 watt/amp fuse and replace it or should I go to lexus. Any advice or insight would be appreciated as I have never done this before, so I definitely don't want to screw up my electrical system trying to do it myself.

Thanks
Your fuse box should have some spare fuse to use. I would get OEM fuse if I were you.
Old 09-08-16, 06:43 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gpxluke
Your fuse box should have some spare fuse to use. I would get OEM fuse if I were you.
How would i be able to find a spare fuse? i guess look at manual? Also would i just pull that fuse and replace it where the blown cigarette lighter fuse is?
Sorry for the noob question but i really have no idea about this lol
Old 09-08-16, 07:51 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Thanks
It's not a problem. The fuse did exactly what it's designed to. To prevent you from overloading the wire and thus causing a fire.

Fuse is easy to replace. All it is is metal. Don't be afraid to work on your car guys. You can do simple stuff like fuses =)
Old 09-08-16, 08:10 PM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

How would i be able to find a spare fuse? i guess look at manual? Also would i just pull that fuse and replace it where the blown cigarette lighter fuse is?
Sorry for the noob question but i really have no idea about this lol
check the fuse box sticker, it should label which ones are spare fuse
Old 09-08-16, 08:12 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exact same thing happened to me when using a portable pump without turning the engine on. I bought and replaced the 15mA fuse myself and didn't have any problem.
Old 09-18-16, 04:26 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Hey guys I tried fixing this today, but the fuse box under the driver side has no marking for Cigarette lighter. I checked under the passenger side and didn't see a fuse box. Google shows me the 2IS had a fuse box under the passenger side for the cigarette lighter, but I cant seem to find it for the 3IS. Can anyone help me locate the fuse? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-16, 12:35 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

RTFM, then look in the Driver's side instrument panel fuse box, it is the 15 amp fuse marked P/OUTLET NO.1.
Old 07-07-19, 10:50 AM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Having the same problem here - fuse is fine but getting no power from the 12v power outlet.... anyone have any ideas short of pulling the console open and checking the wiring?
Old 07-08-19, 05:47 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
Having the same problem here - fuse is fine but getting no power from the 12v power outlet.... anyone have any ideas short of pulling the console open and checking the wiring?
Have you tested the fuse? Sometimes they look ok but are still out.
Old 07-08-19, 07:04 AM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jhs82
Have you tested the fuse? Sometimes they look ok but are still out.
I've replaced the fuse with out any luck of getting power back on the outlet... I ordered a new 10" android auto screen for the radio so when I have the dash apart I'll probably replace the whole socket too.
Old 07-08-19, 08:04 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I was thinking about ordering a compressor pump......until I read about blowing fuses and long fill times.

I remember something about whether to have the car running, versus using the "accessories" position.
Different output or something.
Old 07-08-19, 10:58 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

If you replaced the fuse then the outlet should work.
It would take a lot to burn out an outlet and you would see obvious signs...a little compressor or the like wouldn't be enough to take out a socket.
The fuse is there to protect the equipment...if the socket and fuse both burnt out, then the fuse really didn't do it's job.
The socket only works in Ignition On position as well...not Accessory.
If you have a test light or voltmeter you can confirm power across the fuse and at the socket.