IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Subwoofer Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 08:30 PM
JustBaze1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Question

Hey so I'm shopping around for a good 10inch subwoofer but stuck between which power level I should go with. My old set up was in a different style car so I'm trying to figure out how to gauge what would be a good balance of enough power to be noticeable but not over the top. I have a 300 and a 500 watt option. I'm leaning more toward the 500 so I have the option to turn it down but does anyone have experience with this car what power level is perfect. Thanks
Old 06-08-16, 03:31 AM
slickster9
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure what model lexus you have (not that it should matter too much), but I would think with all the top level subs these days you would want 500 just to get the most out of it. are you going to run a regular box or bandpass? what type of amp are you running? there are definitely a few different variables to consider in setting up your system.
I think what "power level is perfect" would be subjective as it would depend on each persons preference. hope you can find what works best for you.
Old 06-08-16, 04:19 AM
JustBaze1
Rookie

Originally Posted by slickster9
not sure what model lexus you have (not that it should matter too much), but I would think with all the top level subs these days you would want 500 just to get the most out of it. are you going to run a regular box or bandpass? what type of amp are you running? there are definitely a few different variables to consider in setting up your system.
I think what "power level is perfect" would be subjective as it would depend on each persons preference. hope you can find what works best for you.
That's true it's a tough question I was just looking to see what people usually go with. It's hard to gauge what 500 watts means when you play music on it. It's going to be in a sealed box, it's a Rockford p3 with a Rockford 500watt amp if I wire it 2ohm or 300 with 4ohm. Cars an IS350
Old 06-08-16, 05:39 AM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

When in doubt go for the bigger option, I've never heard anyone ever say man I wish I would have gotten the sub with less bass. I have a 10" JL w3 and its perfect for me, if it winds up being to loud just turn the gains down on the amp.
Old 06-09-16, 05:04 AM
slickster9
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as long as it is 2ohm stable, and this needs to be checked as some of the earlier amps weren't, you should definitely wire it to 500. like you mentioned previously you can turn the gain down if its too loud for you. as im sure you know, you need to make sure when setting it up this way your power wiring and fuse are adequate to support the higher draw of the amp at 500.
Old 06-09-16, 06:14 AM
JustBaze1
Rookie

I'm going to pull a 4guage wire and 80amp speaker wire so the amp output should be safe with all that. I'm gonna go with the 500, I like the way SlickRSM put it "never heard anyone ever say man I wish I would have gotten the sub with less bass". My old set up had the amp control **** as well its really convenient I'll post pics when the install is complete
Old 06-10-16, 03:44 AM
mG250
Driver School Candidate

Good work on getting the higher amp power. I have the Mark Levinsons and I put in a 600 Watt JL amp and JL's 10 inch ported micro TW3 sub. The gain controller **** is a must and was cleanly drilled and installed just sightly to the right and below my steering wheel. The way mine was wired the shop unplugged the rear centre 200mm subwoofer and kept the 2 180mm midwoofers and 2 170mm midwoofers. The aftermarket sub acts as the replacement for the 200mm subwoofer and still blends with the music really well.

For stock ML reference.
http://www.marklevinson.com/lexus-is.html