IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

200t Intake Tube

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 08:26 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 200t Intake Tube

Can anyone clarify for me what the tube with the red arrow is doing? It looks to be routed to the top of the intake manifold ...

200t Intake Tube-fe7147d8-8ba2-42ac-909b-305d9b736ba7_zpsny7rhmni.jpg
Old 04-27-16, 08:38 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike200T
Can anyone clarify for me what the tube with the red arrow is doing? It looks to be routed to the top of the intake manifold ...

Attachment 385493
that should be one of the BLOW BY hose /fire suppressor hose. Its a necessity for any turbo charged car you can also add an oil catch can or separator
Old 04-27-16, 09:30 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you open the engine cover and show us a picture to track the hose, this could be one of two hoses (air recirculation or oil vent to the intake ).
Old 04-27-16, 10:40 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AMNss
Can you open the engine cover and show us a picture to track the hose, this could be one of two hoses (air recirculation or oil vent to the intake ).
200t Intake Tube-01intake_zpsjpaormik.png

200t Intake Tube-03intake_zps5tmvrvqd.png
Old 04-27-16, 12:48 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

the 200t has a super convenient spot to hook up a catch can. good job lexus.
Old 04-27-16, 01:27 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike200T
Thank you for taking the pictures, from the location the hose seems to be the air recirculation tube. Additionally the second line also seems to be connected to the same location, but I'm speculating that it is the breather tube (which you can connect an oil catch can to) since it is connected downstream far away from the MAF, and to the hotter metal part which helps keeping the vapor in its state due to heat and turbo suction . To determine the functions of these hoses do the following:
1- Unplug the hoses and check which one is covered in oil from the inside, this should be the breather tube. If both contain oil go to the next step.
2- If you can still not determine, plug the intake side with any cover which can be bought from any local store, and start the car. If you step on the gas pedal (on neutral) and take your foot off and you hear the BOV sound then this hose is for the air recirculation. This method have to be done on one hose at the time for determination.

Note: you can open those hoses to atmosphere with no issue to the car, but the intake side have to be closed. Please note these "hoses" should not be plugged at any time since this could damage your car's engine in a small period of time.
Old 04-27-16, 04:32 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone put a blow off valve and intake on these yet?
Old 04-27-16, 09:12 PM
schwed
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for taking the pictures, from the location the hose seems to be the air recirculation tube. Additionally the second line also seems to be connected to the same location, but I'm speculating that it is the breather tube (which you can connect an oil catch can to) since it is connected downstream far away from the MAF, and to the hotter metal part which helps keeping the vapor in its state due to heat and turbo suction . To determine the functions of these hoses do the following:
1- Unplug the hoses and check which one is covered in oil from the inside, this should be the breather tube. If both contain oil go to the next step.
2- If you can still not determine, plug the intake side with any cover which can be bought from any local store, and start the car. If you step on the gas pedal (on neutral) and take your foot off and you hear the BOV sound then this hose is for the air recirculation. This method have to be done on one hose at the time for determination.

Note: you can open those hoses to atmosphere with no issue to the car, but the intake side have to be closed. Please note these "hoses" should not be plugged at any time since this could damage your car's engine in a small period of time.
Don't think this is a good idea, probably will get a CEL
Maybe if the car had MAP instead of MAF
Old 04-28-16, 01:35 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by schwed
Don't think this is a good idea, probably will get a CEL
Maybe if the car had MAP instead of MAF
This will not damage the car even if he got a CEL. Anyway MAP should be placed downstream of the turbo not on the upstream.
Old 04-28-16, 07:17 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
Has anyone put a blow off valve and intake on these yet?
I'm looking into making my own intake system, that's why I'm inquiring about these hoses. Burger Tuning has a basic intake system and there are some aftermarket filters but none, that I've found, that are full blown intake systems.
Old 04-28-16, 11:05 AM
schwed
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

This will not damage the car even if he got a CEL. Anyway MAP should be placed downstream of the turbo not on the upstream.
200t has a MAF sensor not a MAP it's right behind the filter
So disconnecting the hose will cause issues
Old 04-28-16, 11:53 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by schwed
200t has a MAF sensor not a MAP it's right behind the filter
So disconnecting the hose will cause issues
Thats what I was saying to you from the beginning it is a MAF, also disconnecting the hoses and closing the intake side will not cause issues.
Old 04-28-16, 12:24 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Anyway Mike the most important parameters to consider for making your own intake system are:
1- Make sure the MAF is not affected in the new intake, position and orientation should be the same.
2- Increase the pipe diameter to give the turbo more air (I think 3.5 is good).
3- Use as less bends as possible, and use mandrel bends whenever there is a bend.
4- Fabricate inlets for the hoses as they will not decrease the performance.