IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clunk while braking -Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 05:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Clunk while braking -Feedback?

Anyone get a clunk feel and sound while pressing the brake pedal? If I press harder, another clunk or two occurs. Felt and hear especially at low speed or stopped. No issues braking, but the clunk has slowly gotten worse since I dropped the car on RSR Downs which could be a coincidence.
Old 02-09-16, 01:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Update.

Streets were a little wet today due to melting snow and the clunking barely occurred and when it did, it was faintly heard and felt through the brake pedal. I'm almost convinced the clunk comes from the brake pads shifting.

Any ideas how moisture (or atmospheric conditions) could somehow affect the tightness of the pads and lessen the clunk???
Old 02-09-16, 02:10 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Can you tell if it is from the front or back? Or even what side?

I'd yank the wheel off, pull the 2 bolts that hold the caliper and see if maybe the brake pad material has seperated from the backing plate.

If it is from the back, how often have you used your parking brake? It might be out of adjustment...

Other than that, if the clunking started with the lowering of the car, perhaps something is loose.

I know with mine I sometimes hear a 'click' when backing up when I first press the brake pedal.
Old 02-10-16, 12:45 AM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear a clunk from my transmission when it downshifts, operates normally and has been going on after 4 months of ownership, I've had the car for over a year now and other than the noise everything else seems normal with the tranny. perhaps make sure the sound isn't coming from the transmission?
Old 02-11-16, 05:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by brendanf
Can you tell if it is from the front or back? Or even what side?

I'd yank the wheel off, pull the 2 bolts that hold the caliper and see if maybe the brake pad material has seperated from the backing plate.

If it is from the back, how often have you used your parking brake? It might be out of adjustment...

Other than that, if the clunking started with the lowering of the car, perhaps something is loose.

I know with mine I sometimes hear a 'click' when backing up when I first press the brake pedal.
Definitely coming from all four corners braking when moving forward at almost very stop/traffic light. Same sound and feel like what you (and I) hear when first hitting the brakes on reverse. I'm fairly convinced it's the brakes, either the pads are loose or the brake lines for some reason are loose and hitting the frame. Some days it's more apparent than others for some reason. I'll have to check it out when temps warm up. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-11-16, 06:17 PM
brendanf
Advanced

I was thinking about this a bit more today... I am wondering if it is just the way the pads are able to bite into the rotors at such a low speed..

I know I can sit in my car or just about any car, hold my foot on the brake with just enough force that the torque of the engine is JUST about the roll the forward, and without actually moving forward, the brakes make a clunk/groaning noise... as the friction is fighting the torque.. hard to describe.

The other possibility is that jlin might be right, and the way the trans is downshifting maybe is causing the noise..

Try varying your braking as you approach lights, does heavier braking still do it just before stopping or does lighter braking have any effect on the noise..
Old 02-12-16, 06:35 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ I'm 100% convinced it's not the groan that pads sometime make when rolling. Happens to every car on occasion.

I know it's something loose - perhaps the pads moving around or the brake line because I feel the clunk/creaking even when stopped. Tranny is not the source in my case.

The last couple days it's been well below freezing and the issue is barely present. Again this speaks to the environmentals somehow having an effect on this.

For now, best video I found that sounds like what I'm experiencing is this:

When the issue is more prevalent (possibly when it warms up), I will take a video. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-12-16, 01:25 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Yeah it just seems weird to me that it comes from all 4 corners.. You wouldn't expect all the brake pads to be loose...

I know when I lowered mine, I found a lot of the front suspension nuts and bolts, easy to unbolt as if they weren't torqued properly, the back was the total opposite though, I thought I was going to have a stroke trying to get some of the bolts undone.. 8-)

The only other thing I can think of, when they lowered your car, did they put the rubber insulators back on the struts and control arms and the spring is making the noise as the weight of the car shifts..